Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you use the tire inflator kit WITHOUT the sealant? Reason I ask is I just want to add air to the tire but not because there is a puncture, just a every month or so the TPMS system tells me my tire pressure is low and I need to top off. Plus I get emails from Chevrolet about the same thing. I looked up YOUTUBE videos and all that I have seen presume you have a leak in the tire that needs repaired and sealed so the instructions include using the sealant canister.

I even went to GM's parts website and they have a link to instructions, but the link only tells you how to store the purchased kit, not how to use it with or without the sealant.

·
Registered
2018 Bolt Premium with every option
181 Posts
Honestly, I haven't even looked at the pump that came with the Bolt. If it's like the pump that they used for Volts, it has a selector. The goo pumps seem to come with all vehicles that don't include a spare.

·
Registered
2021Bolt
223 Posts
It’s not meant for regular use. I have gone thru 3 with my Volts. They are junk, and not for regular tire use. The button always breaks. A 40$ air pump from amazon has lasted me 3 years now with no signs on breaking. You can buy green slime.

I thought most Bolt tires are those self sealing tires.

·
Registered
181 Posts
It’s not meant for regular use. I have gone thru 3 with my Volts. They are junk, and not for regular tire use. The button always breaks. A 40$ air pump from amazon has lasted me 3 years now with no signs on breaking. You can buy green slime.

I thought most Bolt tires are those self sealing tires.
They do. For that reason, the pump might not have the goo option. I never even considered using that thing for topping up tires.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Can you use the tire inflator kit WITHOUT the sealant? Reason I ask is I just want to add air to the tire but not because there is a puncture, just a every month or so the TPMS system tells me my tire pressure is low and I need to top off. Plus I get emails from Chevrolet about the same thing. I looked up YOUTUBE videos and all that I have seen presume you have a leak in the tire that needs repaired and sealed so the instructions include using the sealant canister.

I even went to GM's parts website and they have a link to instructions, but the link only tells you how to store the purchased kit, not how to use it with or without the sealant.

I buy Slime and similar kits from garage sales for $5. At least as good as the factory kit, and pumps have not failed yet to bring low tires up to spec, which is quite high for a passenger tire, possibly because the original equipment size is close to marginal for the weight, 2/3 of which is on the front, even heavier during weight transfer during decel and braking.

·
Registered
2019 Bolt & 2015 Spark EV
411 Posts
I have the GM one out of my Spark EV in my Bolt, works great well without the sealant. It is cheap quality, so I'm pretty careful with it, when it gets occasional use.

Reactions: XJ12

·
Registered
181 Posts
Your Bolt did not come with a pump or sealant , unless it’s a Canadian model.
I have one from another vehicle. My Malibu hybrid came with one, but I bought a spare kit for that, so maybe that's what's in the Bolt. I kept the portable inflator from my TDI Passat that I keep in the Malibu, but use a garage compressor for topping up.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I see where many people did not get an inflator kit with their Bolt. I purchased my 2018 Chevy Bolt in December 2018 and it was equipped with the inflator..

·
Registered
961 Posts
The correct solution is to find out why you have to put air in. Putting or replacing with nitrogen may help if you had humid air and now it's quite cold where you are.

I questioned if the mobility kit was supposed to come with mine but the salesman handed me a pump and slime.

I bought a few 12V online for other cars. They work great if you keep the car running while using it. They will burn out otherwise. Saved my behind out in the middle of the panhandle at 4 am. Everybody ought have a can of air and compressor.

·
Registered
2017 Chevy Bolt Premier
210 Posts
I see where many people did not get an inflator kit with their Bolt. I purchased my 2018 Chevy Bolt in December 2018 and it was equipped with the inflator..
Nice, as far as I know only Canada had them included or used Bolts that the previous owner added them after the fact. I could be totally wrong about this statement though.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The correct solution is to find out why you have to put air in....
When I had my Bolt in for the 2nd recall service, I asked the tech to examine the tires for any abnormalities, etc. All I know is he came back negative on any problem he could identify. I am pretty good at checking the pressure through the TPMS but that one tire seems to loose air faster the the rest.

·
Registered
2017 Chevy Bolt Premier
210 Posts
When I had my Bolt in for the 2nd recall service, I asked the tech to examine the tires for any abnormalities, etc. All I know is he came back negative on any problem he could identify. I am pretty good at checking the pressure through the TPMS but that one tire seems to loose air faster the the rest.
If that’s the case then it is possible to have a pin size leak that may have an object still there, it seems like the goo will not do the job in that case until whatever is causing the leak comes out, I had a tiny pin causing a small leak for weeks , the tire tech had a tough time finding it, sometimes a visual inspection is not enough.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I'm saying that these 12VDC compressors use a lot of power. They don't like running on 8VDC so they burn out.

It is possible that the casting on the rim has slow leaks and the tires are good. I had to run slime in one set of rims a long time ago to fix that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes, if I were you, I'd use sealant. It helps trap air inside the tire in the event of a puncture. And it also increases the life of the tire because the rubber wears out faster. You can use any tire sealant you want or find one online at SealWithEase.com | The #1 Sealing Resource. If you don't use adhesive, you'll have to make a few needle punctures to let the air out. Otherwise, the tire won't hold pressure. But be careful not to damage the tire; the punch is only needed to equalize the pressure. I wish you the best of luck.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts