Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the first Canadian Bolts were sold last week, at least in Ontario.

So for those proud new Bolt owners, what has been your cold weather range experience so far?

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
Quebec too. Maybe B.C. too? Although they've been too snowed in, to get it out of the driveway..
I'm guessing that most of the potential Bolt owners in BC live in the Lower Mainland like I do, and despite all the snow we've been getting it really isn't all that cold here. The lowest overnight temps I've seen are around -5C, and daytime temperatures are almost always above freezing.

There are plenty of places in the US that are colder than that.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Here's a guesstimate of what you'd have gotten if you drove your Bolt within the Toronto region during January, 2017
Assumptions
See this current thread, where Boltar of Oregon is getting winter range of 133 miles (214 km).
http://www.chevybolt.org/forum/9-2017-chevy-bolt-ev-general-discussion-forum/6962-what-s-your-estimated-range-133-max-me.html

Given: January in Toronto was +2C warmer than average with very little snow:
January 2017 average actual temperature Toronto Pearson Int'l: -2C (28.4F)
January 2017 average actual temperature Hood River, OR: 0C (32F)
Some individual variables and directional effect: Toronto Range Better or Worse:
Temperature: Toronto Worse
Snow Tires /or Snow: Toronto Better (I don't use snow tires)
Heated Seats and Steering Wheel: assume no difference
Highway Cruising, Sport Mode: Toronto Much Better (slower speeds due congestion, more regen mode)
Topography: Toronto Better (gentle little knolls versus mountain range)
Other: Wind / Road Surface / etc.: assume no difference (OR wind and Toronto potholes, offset one another)

Summary wild guess: 133 mi (214 km) + 15% = 153 mi (246 km)
Look reasonable ? That would be my situation. If you live well north of Toronto, need winters and are commuting: you’re probably closer to Boltar’s 133 club.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
133 miles is not bad from Boltar considering the Bolt is in a old climate with snow tires and it's always in Sport mode with heated seats and steering wheel on. Just don't use Sport mode and you'll see a bit of an increase.

·
Registered
979 Posts
don't use Sport mode
For sure. With properly inflated tires the tendency to spin the front wheels/tires is greater on cold pavement. On slippery cold pavement, even worse.

Sometimes I deliberately (when safe to do so) stand on the brake pedal at slow speed on an unpopulated icy road surface, just to feel the effect and hear that the ABS is alive and well.

I wonder about regen braking on slippery surfaces and how it might interface with ABS. I guess I’ll find out.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
On the bright side, it's only for a few months out of the year where the range is reduced that much and it's not too bad considering how much range the Bolt comes with. Could be worse in a Volt or a Leaf in the winter.
@Cehjun I'm guessing you'll test out regen and ABS on an empty bit of road or parking lot. Let us know your findings, I'm curious as well.

·
Registered
979 Posts
@Cehjun I'm guessing you'll test out regen and ABS on an empty bit of road or parking lot. Let us know your findings, I'm curious as well.
Forgot to mention traction control.

The owner’s manual doesn’t indicate what happens when you’re moseying along in L minding your own business and you see brake lights ahead. You back off the pedal and perhaps grab the regen paddle in order to provide a lot of space (you’re alone and can withstand the negative G’s) and hey grab those extry kw’s from regen . But in coming under a bridge at the same time as you do this, you didn’t notice the black ice you just came into. Whaaaa. Then you glance in your rearview camera, that the guy who was way behind you when all this started is gonna bang into you, so you hit the accelerator and hope that traction control kicks in. Could be a situation of pure involuntary one-pedal driving as your brain won’t work fast enough to tell your foot to hit the brake pedal. Will be interesting.

Back to topic: I’m assuming the reason that none of the few Cdns presently with Bolts have posted their range yet: no free time left ?.. all used up reading the manuals trying to figure it out ?

·
Registered
734 Posts
I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum wondering how long we can hold a wheel spin for... ;)
Once you see the sort of wear that will have on your tires and how quickly you'll go through a set, you won't be wondering any more. Instead you'll be wondering of how smooth you can move from a standstill ;)

Tires can get expensive.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum wondering how long we can hold a wheel spin for... ;)
At the Portland Auto Show, John "Plasma Boy" Wayland gave that a test (they did know who he was).

Punched it at 10 mph and thought he'd see how long the chirping/spinning went on. Backed off at 50 for a traffic light (The Chevy rep was ... nervous??)

John's EV (daily driver in good weather with ~100 miles range):
https://vimeo.com/user3753897/zombie-rises-to-fight-another-day
0-60 mph 1.8 sec (best at track time on hot racing slicks is 1.3 sec)

His take on the Bolt "A really good car and a blast to drive".

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
F
Back to topic: I’m assuming the reason that none of the few Cdns presently with Bolts have posted their range yet: no free time left ?.. all used up reading the manuals trying to figure it out ?
They've only started delivering Bolts to Canadians this month so I assume it's taking people a while to pick them up, set up the charger at home and then drive the Bolt enough to get some decent numbers.

·
Registered
639 Posts
They've only started delivering Bolts to Canadians this month so I assume it's taking people a while to pick them up, set up the charger at home and then drive the Bolt enough to get some decent numbers.
I keep checking Fuelly and still no reports are up which is quite surprising seeing how many owners are on here and with my overall understanding of how many are in the hands of owners.

One Bolt EV is in fuelly, but no miles logged.

·
Registered
979 Posts
This was posted a day ago in facebook Canada Chevy Bolt EV Owners:
square brackets [ ] indicate range (in miles) inserted into original text:

“Bolt thoughts after two weeks of driving and over 2,000kms [1,243 miles]…Average Range in the winter: 260-300km [162–186 mi] per charge. This is normal driving, some speeding, some stop and go, etc. Not driving it like I drove my Gen1 Volt. I speed more often, use heat, radio, all the gadgets, charge my phones. I’ll hit 450km [280 mi] in the summer easily. It was warmer yesterday and I was tracking towards 330km [205 mi]…”

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Well that's reassuring. 260-300km using accessories, dealing with the snow and cold, heat, etc. really isn't that bad at all. I would be able to do my commute for 2 days with that easy :)

·
Registered
734 Posts
I sometimes drive further up north during the winter months which is where snow can really get packed as the roads aren't cleared as often, that will impact range. Glad to see with all those ways to leak energy that it still pulled through with decent range.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I sometimes drive further up north during the winter months which is where snow can really get packed as the roads aren't cleared as often, that will impact range. Glad to see with all those ways to leak energy that it still pulled through with decent range.
With luck the DCFC stations will all be up and running before you have to make one of those trips! I was looking at the map on the government site of where the stations were going to be and it is a really good spread across Ontario. Now if they can just get back on track at getting them open!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
With luck the DCFC stations will all be up and running before you have to make one of those trips! I was looking at the map on the government site of where the stations were going to be and it is a really good spread across Ontario. Now if they can just get back on track at getting them open!!
Can you give us a link to that map site please? Thanks.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts