Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Canadian Bolt owners, let's have a fun and friendly range competition! :D

Let's have two components to this competition - best guess-o-meter ranges and best actual range achieved. Post pics of each. Let's see how much we can max out our kilometers in this awesome car!

Remember - pics, or it never happened!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Did your dealer give you a VIN #? I don't have any information right now, and they told me not to get my hopes up for April (after originally alluding to April delivery). My order form has an approximate delivery date of early June :( Let's hope that was just to be conservative.

·
Registered
735 Posts
For all we know Bolt are probably sitting a few miles away from your dealers waiting to go through PDI or even enroute to dealers for PDI. What will help is identifying these lots ;)

Randomly I come across lots for cars I like but won't buy but never for cars i want which aren't that special, funny how it works

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Those on the West coast can start early since the weather is milder there, but the East is still too cold to get much range with the heat always on. Or those of you in colder climates can compete to see who can get the shortest range on a cold day just for fun. :D

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I started this thread, I was giving you guys a bit of a head start! Because when I get mine - it's game on! Lol. It's going to make driving fun having this friendly competition. And yes, April (hopefully for all of us) should see this thread get some traction when all of our Bolts arrive! (Btw - that's a hint Chevy - all us Canadian customers would like our Bolts put on priority build list so we can get this competition started post haste.....)

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV LT
272 Posts
Well I can start by setting the bar low since my range has been less than spectacular. I'm talking range figures in California, but instead of miles it's kilometers.

Granted I'm only charging to 88% (hill start mode), but a normal morning estimated range for me is 260ish km. My regular driving is a mix of city and highway, and temperatures here have been ranging between a few degrees above freezing to a high of 11 today. I'm losing anywhere from 15-30% of my range to cabin conditioning (temperature set to 23deg.)

Some quick math says that my estimated range on a full charge should be right about 300km today (warmer and dryer than it has been lately). Factor in losses for heating and I would be hitting a little over the EPA rating of 350km which is about right considering that the EPA test does include some use of cabin conditioning.

For my work I could cover 200km in a day driving around the lower mainland, and because of that I have been charging up most nights to make sure that I don't get caught with insufficient charge if the sh** hits the fan and I need to visit a few of our locations, but I'm looking forward to warmer weather and only having to charge 2-3 times a week for increased battery life.

As far as I know there are 5 Bolts in the lower mainland right now, two in owners hands and 3 demo units, but I have yet to see another one. I'm looking forward to hearing about other Canadian owners who have actually had to use the heating equipment in their car.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
hm... I'm one of those people that get cold easily so I can imagine using the heater quite a bit down here in Ontario. So a 15-30% loss can easily be anticipated it seems. Guess I won't really know for sure until I get in there but thanks for the breakdown of what you're currently getting. We need those other 4 Bolt owners in lower mainland over here for their inputs.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have noticed that my Volt range is effected even more by running the defrost/defog, than strictly running the heat. Definitely something to consider as well on the cool, rainy days like today.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV LT
272 Posts
To be honest I'm not sure what the car is doing. I leave the HVAC system on Auto and it manages the defrost and other functions for me, presumably to balance power usage and comfort / safety. I usually precondition the car before I leave in the morning, but even around town running errands on a rainy day the Windows are never fogged so the auto system is doing its job.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
As far as I know there are 5 Bolts in the lower mainland right now, two in owners hands and 3 demo units...
3 demo units, really? I've heard that Dueck on Marine has one, but where are the other two?

You're not referring to the ones that are here for the auto show, are you?

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV LT
272 Posts
They may be here for the auto show, but my sales guy at Carter GM Burnaby told me they were here as press demonstrators. I sat in an orange Premier to compare the seat to the one in my LT, This was back on the 10th. There were two kinetic blue and one orange, and they were filthy inside, looked like they'd spent a few months as family cars in a rural area.

While we're on the subject, I spotted a kinetic blue Bolt in Langley today (posted the sighting in another thread to try to figure out if it was one of us)

1 - 20 of 85 Posts