Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

81 - 85 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
What about a fun twist. Given summer is long gone and we’re now freezing our butts off…

What about the absolute worst range experienced. (no particular skill required!).:p

My latest GOM expected after 100% fill and only 47 km expected to go: total actual+projected range of 252 kilometres !! ~ 156 miles. Yikes.

Here’s how that was largely accomplished: let my spouse borrow the Bolt for an out of town highway trip to a shopping mall with her girlfriends. She preconditions the car (unplugged), gets in and immediately hits the Auto heat control set at 25C. Turns on the heated wheel and seats (3 full dots on the heated seat button). Picks up each of her girlfriends who each turn on their respective heated seat. They head out on the highway and cruise at 115-120 km/h for a half hour or so each way.

Her motto: what’s all that equipment for, if you’re not going to use it ? (Sigh..)

This has made my day! Thank you! I am still expecting a build date for my Bolt BUT, I drive 80km each way on highways to work every day. Considering it is cold already and even if I do all that I will STILL have juice to get home with 92 Kms to spare, I can actually include a stop or two on my way home (movies, groceries etc) AND not have battery anxiety! Thank you for this post!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Lamenting the summer gone, but here's my max range from last summer:

Completed 409.5km and it was saying 37km range left. The predicted range had started out at 433km; the first half of that was at 110-120kmh on Highway 17 and then a change of plan at around the 250km point led me to start to take it a bit easier and run on secondary roads for the remainder, at around 85-95kmh. Not too shabby though

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
As for winter range, now it's been down below -25C for several weeks, the worst I've seen is 209km predicted range after leaving the car outside overnight for a few days. To be honest, that's not as bad as I thought it might get to and I'm pretty happy; I can get to work and back twice on a charge, even on hilltop reserve setting on. The garage is only semi-heated (it averages around zero to negative 5 C), and leaving it outside didn't make a huge difference, other than comfort level as all interior surfaces of the car are so **** cold...

Average consumption for the 90km roundtrip commute to work (around 65km of this is on highway, with the cruise set to around 103-110km/h) has been between 25-30kWh/110km with the temperatures around -28C in the morning and around the -20/24C mark by the time I'm heading home. This is with the cabin heating set to 20C, fan set on either 4, or 5, seat heating on 3 until it warms up, then 2 and the steering wheel heating on. At these temperatures you have to have the cabin heating on, otherwise your breath freezes on the inside of the windows and makes it dangerous.....

Below -25C the power output is reduced until the coolant circuit warms up, but it only appears to be limited to 60kW and in those conditions it was hard/stupid to push the car hard enough to find this out; the wheels were spinning all over the place on the hardpack snow well before I reached the 60kW output limit!! The output limit increases pretty rapidly, I get on to the highway about 8km from my house and the output was above 80kW by this time; that was as much as I dare push it in those conditions. The regen braking is also reduced until the coolant circuits warm up, in a similar fashion to when the battery is fully charged. The regen limit white line gradually creeps down the regen gauge to the right of the speedo, taking me around 15 minutes to reach full regen when below -25C.

I'm pretty happy with how its doing, given the temperatures/conditions; I had prepared for a two third range loss in winter, so still having 200km+ range is pretty good in my book, particularly considering I could extend this if I chose to shut down all/some of the heating luxuries, but why rough it if you don't have to?!

·
Banned
6 Posts
johansensoundtherapy com has remained a small town, partly because it’s a bit further from any major population centre, and partly because the winter is that much more harsh so some elements are not even open year-round. That keeps it tame.

81 - 85 of 85 Posts