Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have any Canadians gotten their battery replaced or a appointment to or any notice they've moved into the priority recall group yet?

(The word Canada or Canadian appears once in 223 posts in other threads.)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Have any Canadians gotten their battery replaced or a appointment to or any notice they've moved into the priority recall group yet?

Not yet.
My recall state in the app is now "INCOMPLETE" instead of "NO REMEDY AVAILABLE YET" (or something like this).
I have a 2019 built in August 2018 with a Korean battery.

·
Registered
"early" 2019 LT Slate Grey Metallic
190 Posts

Canadian here. I think I saw a post about one fellow-canadian getting a battery replacement soon...
Mine's 06/2019 so not in the high-priority group (yet?)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was at Smith Chevrolet Cadillac in Kamloops today and talked to their EV tech. He is replacing his first battery in the next couple of days. I think that’s the first one in the BC interior. 2019 model year I think he said so I’m thinking Korean battery.

·
Registered
username LT
868 Posts
Not yet.
My recall state on the mychevrolet website still says INCOMPLETE. REMEDY NOT YET AVAILABLE.
Dec 2018 build

Bionerdz: Oh. That's where I bought my car. But I'm now a couple hours away with a dealer in my town.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Still showing as Remedy not yet available on my 2020 which goes <30% frequently.
Its been >2 months since I requested a loaner and a buyback. They have no loaners and were supposed to give me an offer on the buyback nearly a month ago. At least they call me weekly to tell me there are no updates.

·
Registered
193 Posts
No news here, 2021 so don't expect anything for 3-4 months min, maybe longer. That being said, I am trying to make a deal on a 2017 Used to replace my pilot. Since buying the 21, I've realized I don't like ICE vehicles anymore. I use the Pilot to tow a trailer like 2-3 times a year, I can trade one of the bolts to a friend for a week when I want to camp and use their SUV or Truck. Or rent one etc. I can save so much commuting in a soon to be new battery 2017 even with my 50KM a day. I may miss the room in the Pilot some days but I'm willing to give it up for all the pluses of another Bolt. Also, in 3-4 years we can upgrade one of them to a by then available larger EV SUV.

·
Registered
Bolt Lt, 2017
41 Posts
MY 2017. Incomplete with no remedy available yet. I am not sure that Bolt owners in Canada will receive exactly the same treatment as our American cousins. GM Canada does not seem to be high on the priority list for GM but we will eventually make it to the front of the line. Good engineering and cooler weather has kept my battery in excellent condition so I am personally not in a rush. Sometimes it is ok to not be a priority. :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
MY 2017. Incomplete with no remedy available yet. I am not sure that Bolt owners in Canada will receive exactly the same treatment as our American cousins. GM Canada does not seem to be high on the priority list for GM but we will eventually make it to the front of the line. Good engineering and cooler weather has kept my battery in excellent condition so I am personally not in a rush. Sometimes it is ok to not be a priority. :)
Same here. I have put 13000 on the car, there has never needed to use battery conditioning once. so that means the battery has stayed in the sweet spot while operating and or charging.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good engineering and cooler weather has kept my battery in excellent condition
My battery is down to 49.4 kwh after the "final" software fix from may. Combined with the recall limitations I cannot use the vehicle to visit my family or commute to my previous job in the winter. I'm not in a rush but so far we have zero first hand accounts of Canadian batteries having been replaced or booked to be replaced and that is becoming a driving factor in my reconsidering their buy back offer.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
2,322 Posts
My battery is down to 49.4 kwh after the "final" software fix from may. Combined with the recall limitations I cannot use the vehicle to visit my family or commute to my previous job in the winter. I'm not in a rush but so far we have zero first hand accounts of Canadian batteries having been replaced or booked to be replaced and that is becoming a driving factor in my reconsidering their buy back offer.
The "final" software fix should not have restricted the state of charge, so 49.4 kWh is low. If you have an ODB2 reader and an app like Torque Pro, it might be worth looking at your individual "cell" voltages to see if you have a bad cell. That might get you a higher priority for a battery replacement.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The "final" software fix should not have restricted the state of charge, so 49.4 kWh is low. If you have an ODB2 reader and an app like Torque Pro, it might be worth looking at your individual "cell" voltages to see if you have a bad cell. That might get you a higher priority for a battery replacement.
0.02 to 0.04v at most.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
0.02 to 0.04v at most.
Most 2019 and earlier cars had low cells in numbered in the 65-72 range that were about 0.02V below average (while cells numbered 9-16 were often higher than average). 0.04V below average is worse than typical and may be why you are seeing reduced capacity. In the first fire recall remedy, 0.08V below average or worse was the threshold for immediate module replacement before installing the new software.

The good news is that the 2020+ packs have generally been observed to have more even cell voltages, so they are more likely to match their intended capacity.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
What I mean is, depending on soc, the difference between the highest cell and the lowest cell is usually 0.02 total from top to bottom and at low soc 0.04 top to bottom. So 0.02 below average at worst. Not much different than when new. But let's not continue off topic.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Mine just got updated today. Recall status changed to INCOMPLETE. I called the dealer and left a voice message to schedule the battery replacement.
Well I'm curious what fellow Canadians are being told for the battery replacement. I called my dealer (who I have perceived as somewhat competent on EVs until now) and my service rep told me for Canada the affected customers must contact GM Canada and place the battery pack order directly with GM. Then GM will ship the pack to the dealer who will in turn contact me for scheduling the battery pack install.

This process makes no sense to me and I made it clear to the service rep but I was again told "It's unfortunate but that's the process GM Canada has communicated to us".

1 - 20 of 112 Posts