Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2020 premier is in the garage fully charged but I cannot get the level 2 charger unplugged from the port. The latch on the charger plug works fine but something is catching and holding the plug when trying to unplug it. I have locked/unlocked the doors many times with both fobs, disconnected the 12v battery twice, and even banged on the fender around the port per suggestion. Nothing seems to help releasing the plug from the car. Any suggestions as cannot leave the garage with the cord attached!!

·
Registered
2021Bolt to 2022EUV
1,053 Posts
Any suggestions as cannot leave the garage with the cord attached!!
You should be able to disconnect the wires at the box. If it has a plug to the receptacle just unplug it.
then you can tow it to the dealer.

But sounds like somone may have to force it out. But I am not recommending you do it cause damage to the receptacle in the Bolt may be $$$$. But I would be tempted

Good luck

·
Registered
64 Posts
I see that you have disconnected the battery twice but did you try to unplug while the battery is disconected? I believe there is a couple of threads about the latch not releasing and I remember the fix was to disconnect the battery which would release the latch. Also something about walking a few yards away from the car with the keyfob in your pocket or something like that.

·
Premium Member
2018 Bolt Premier
809 Posts
Happened on my 2018 twice, firm thump above and forward of the charge port door (about 10 o’clock) did the trick for me.
Mine was outside and may have frozen so may not be related to your concern.

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt Premiere
325 Posts
Maybe try shutting off the power to the charging cable - unplugging it,
switching the breaker off, etc. Then disconnecting the 12V battery. With
everything off/disconnected - then try unplugging the cable from the car,

·
Registered
2022 EV 2LT Black
2,377 Posts
Be sure the charger handle button is not broken. Had the same thing happen to me after it was dropped on the ground and broke the lever inside the handle. I thought it was the lock on the inside of the charge port.

See this thread.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maybe try shutting off the power to the charging cable - unplugging it,
switching the breaker off, etc. Then disconnecting the 12V battery. With
everything off/disconnected - then try unplugging the cable from the car,
I have tried every combination you listed with no success. Looking at the charger end of another charger, the only latching mechanism is the top exterior latch. This is not the problem on mine as the hook clearly is unlatched from the car port. The only thing I can think of is that the metal contacts inside the charger plug have fused to the car plug metal contacts. I can pull the charger about 1/8 inch out before it catches. I think this is the metal contacts inside the charging plug staying with the car port and the plastic housing moving. I'm afraid I am going to have to destroy the charger plug to have any chance of removing this thing from the car. I do not want to damage the car port but it may already be damaged. The car charges normally with the charger by the way.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Be sure the charger handle button is not broken. Had the same thing happen to me after it was dropped on the ground and broke the lever inside the handle. I thought it was the lock on the inside of the charge port.

See this thread.
The charger handle button is working fine. The top latch is detaching like it is supposed to. I think the connection pins inside the plug may be fused to the pins in the car port due to a poor connection. There are no other locks that should be holding the plug. It may have to go to the dealer because I don't want to break anything. The car still charges normally but that does no good I'd I can't remove the charger from the car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Out of curiosity? What brand of EVSE are you using?
It's a 32 Amp Mustart. Worked fine for the past 9 months and still charges fine. I now know that they had some issues with melting plugs due to poor connections. Probably what happened with mine. Done a lot of reading tonight but can't find where someone can't unplug at all due to overheating or melting inside the plug. Hate to apply too much force. Something would have to give and I don't want to damage the car port. I don't care if the charger has to be cut off to fix it. It would be cheaper to replace than the car port.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Indeed... I don't recommend Mustart.

I've given my 2 cents worth of advice about buying random no-name EVSEs on places like Amazon numerous times like at the below:

Reactions: Vicki37 and Aopisa

·
Registered
2021Bolt to 2022EUV
1,053 Posts
Can you get to the screws on the handle? Probally not safe to do without pulling the right fuses.
Probably ought to tow it to your dealer

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
4,499 Posts
Unfortunately, I don't think the repair cost would be covered by the Bolt's warranty if the damage was caused by the Mustart EVSE. You might have to negotiate with Mustart to see what they will cover, beyond the cost of the EVSE itself, if anything.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It's a 32 Amp Mustart. Worked fine for the past 9 months and still charges fine. I now know that they had some issues with melting plugs due to poor connections. Probably what happened with mine. Done a lot of reading tonight but can't find where someone can't unplug at all due to overheating or melting inside the plug. Hate to apply too much force. Something would have to give and I don't want to damage the car port. I don't care if the charger has to be cut off to fix it. It would be cheaper to replace than the car port.
And there you have it. The non UL listed piece of Chinese garbage probably welded the pins together. I hope this isn’t the case. Even if it isn’t, throw the Mustart out. Sorry, don’t take this personally, but I hope this is a lesson for others. I don’t understand why people outlay money for a Bolt only to risk it by cheaping out on the EVSE. Mustarts are notorious for not being UL listed, using fake safety certifications on their products and damaging property.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts