Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At a little EV show-n-tell a couple of days ago I had a couple of people sitting in the car. I wandered off to talk to someone a few feet away (20 feet maybe) and the next thing I knew, my car-alarm was going off -- my Bolt had hysterics! the people in the car were really rattled. It would not shut up until I approached the driver's door and opened it in the usual way.

I am guessing this was all because I left them in the car and walked too far away while wearing the fob. but it seems a bit silly that the Bolt should object to people remaining in the car when the driver leaves for a few minutes -- how about passengers (kids for example) who stay in the car while the driver goes to the till at a petrol station? or hits the washroom?

Is this what's supposed to happen, or a brief malf? I'm not sure, but I think it wouldn't let them out -- I saw one of them fumbling with the door handle but not able to exit.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Some setting is causing the alarm. I walk away from ours with passengers inside and no alarm. I even lock it and walk away with it on and the AC running if making a short stop on a 100-degree day.

jack vines

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Or injure themselves with the power windows.
<grin!>

I find those power windows kind of frustrating -- seems ridiculously difficult to get them to go down to exactly the level I want. In that regard I miss manual winding-handles for windows, although of course having remote control of all windows from the pilot's seat is rather convenient. Is there some way to get them out of "automatic" mode so they just stop moving when I release the button?

·
Registered
336 Posts
The power windows are frustrating, when you just need to crack them an inch; they'll go up and down a number of times until I can settle on a close approximation of what I had wanted.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Yes ! My wife isn't the brightest person in the world and is having trouble with the electric windows also. I wonder if there is a fix to convert the windows to the older "crank" style? It sure would make life easier. Since I mostly drive, only the passenger side would have to undergo the conversion...

·
Registered
336 Posts
I scanned the owner's manual, and couldn't locate the part about the 'child guard' but seem to recall that the car will beep or chirp. Still wondering why the alarm went off when the driver had left with the fob.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There's a noticeable detent between the "open only while I push" and "open the all the way" positions of the switch. I was constantly overshooting the detent too - what you need to do is practice several times to get used to the switch's feel. Start by pressing down very slowly and gradually until you feel the detent - that'll tell you how much force you need to apply to trigger the first position of the switch without overshooting into the second position.

OK, I'm gonna have to say it... :) In HI design, whether screen or mechanical, real success means delivering an interface that's intuitive from the git-go. If the user has to carefully "learn" how to overcome obscurity, over-subtlety, or finickiness in the control mechanisms, then that indicates a degree of failure in the design process. A device activation switch that has two levels or modes of operation should have a detente -- or some other indicator or packaging -- that is "self evident," i.e. doesn't have to be fished for carefully or require conscious training of the user's fingers to operate correctly. (How easy is it to apply very precisely calibrated finger pressure to a button on the door of a bouncing car on a rough pavement?)

Of course I will try fishing for this magic amount of pressure that makes the window up/down switch operate in the "motor on while press" mode, because I always want the darned window to open a specific amount, I never want it to auto-roll all the way down or up (in fact, I'd happily disable the auto-roll feature). And presumably I'll learn eventually exactly how many ounces of pressure are needed to activate it just right, so that I reliably get the behaviour I want. But I have to give the Bolt design team a Fail on that one specific feature, because good HI design doesn't do that to the end user. Consider the intuitiveness of the iPod clickwheel. Did anyone have to experiment carefully to avoid frustration and confusion while using it to navigate menus and screens? Maybe it's just me, but the first time I picked up an iPod with the clickwheel, I knew exactly how to use it without being told. That's called HI design success :)

[steps off soapbox, slightly red in face]

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Of course I will try fishing for this magic amount of pressure that makes the window up/down switch operate in the "motor on while press" mode, because I always want the darned window to open a specific amount, I never want it to auto-roll all the way down or up (in fact, I'd happily disable the auto-roll feature). And presumably I'll learn eventually exactly how many ounces of pressure are needed to activate it just right, so that I reliably get the behaviour I want. But I have to give the Bolt design team a Fail on that one specific feature, because good HI design doesn't do that to the end user.
I think the design is the right one - press lightly for "manual" rolldown while the button is pressed and apply more pressure for automatic rolldown all the way. That's pretty intuitive as far as I'm concerned. The failure seems to be that some people don't realize that it's a two-position switch. But there's a trade-off between making it more obviously a two-position switch and keeping the required pressures light enough to be reasonable.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
auto/incremental window switches

I fooled around with mine some today, and now that I know about the detente I can in fact feel it (earlier, I blew right past it, interpreting the slight "click" as merely a sign that the button was fully engaged). So I have to climb down just a bit from the soapbox, because the detente is actually fairly noticeable if you slow down the finger press a bit. I still think it's rather fiddly (especially for a vehicle in motion) but it isn't quite as obscure as I thought on first acquaintance.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Are people really having problems with the windows?

If I need to crack the windows just a little, yes, it is hard to do if you are doing from closed. But, it is much easier to lower the window pasts your small crack... and then just raise the window and stop where you need it to. Never had an issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes ! My wife isn't the brightest person in the world and is having trouble with the electric windows also. I wonder if there is a fix to convert the windows to the older "crank" style? It sure would make life easier. Since I mostly drive, only the passenger side would have to undergo the conversion...
I assume your wife is not on this forum!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Some setting is causing the alarm. I walk away from ours with passengers inside and no alarm. I even lock it and walk away with it on and the AC running if making a short stop on a 100-degree day.

jack vines
Yes so do I. I do wish GM would allow us end users to adjust the time before it shuts the car off. There are times and situations where I am not plugged in yet I might want to keep the inside warm or cool.

·
Registered
321 Posts
At a little EV show-n-tell a couple of days ago I had a couple of people sitting in the car. I wandered off to talk to someone a few feet away (20 feet maybe) and the next thing I knew, my car-alarm was going off -- my Bolt had hysterics! the people in the car were really rattled. It would not shut up until I approached the driver's door and opened it in the usual way.

how about passengers (kids for example) who stay in the car while the driver goes to the till at a petrol station?
Petrol station. I think the Bolt is afraid of petrol. >:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts