Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in getting a car cover for my Bolt. My Bolt is parked outdoors, so I want to protect the paint and interior from UV radiation damage. Any recommendations? A very light color (white) or a reflective material seems best for me.

I am also curious about whether a car cover is a good idea, with respect to the battery cooling system during hot weather. Here in the southern part of the San Francisco Bay Area in California, there are occasional highs in the 90s to low 100s Fahrenheit during the summer. Would a car cover interfere with the battery cooling system?

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
. I am also curious about whether a car cover is a good idea, with respect to the battery cooling system during hot weather. Here in the southern part of the San Francisco Bay Area in California, there are occasional highs in the 90s to low 100s Fahrenheit during the summer. Would a car cover interfere with the battery cooling system?
Page 258 of the manual: A vehicle cover, which can reduce sun loading on the vehicle and improve high voltage battery life, is available from your dealer.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Weathercraft cover is Big Money: $475.00!
Although the owners manual says the dealer has a car cover for sale, the Chevy web site for accessories suggests they do not. Nothing is listed.
The Covercraft product looks promising. I think I'll try it out.
Thanks for the help, fellow forum contributors. I'll keep you posted on my experience with the Covercraft product.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
Page 258 of the manual: A vehicle cover, which can reduce sun loading on the vehicle and improve high voltage battery life, is available from your dealer.
If you're in a warm climate, you might want to be a little cautious about blocking the front radiator grille since it will impair the ability of the Bolt to cool it's battery if it decides it needs to.

·
Registered
786 Posts
If you cannot find an economical car cover for the exact Bolt EV size, get an universal size for a CUV even if slightly larger. Some are stretch fitting which I don't recommend. Get one that only has some elastic at the edges, but fits loosely over the body, allowing some ventilation if plugged in. Remember to cut a hole for the antenna (some covers come with a special patch kit for an antenna hole), or remove the antenna by unscrewing it.

·
Registered
558 Posts
The Weathercraft cover is Big Money: $475.00!
Although the owners manual says the dealer has a car cover for sale, the Chevy web site for accessories suggests they do not. Nothing is listed.
The Covercraft product looks promising. I think I'll try it out.
Thanks for the help, fellow forum contributors. I'll keep you posted on my experience with the Covercraft product.
A nice feature of the CoverCraft cover is the Velcro flap for the charging door. Oddly, though, there's another flap on the passenger side. But the thing fits snugly all around. I had to learn the proper way to cover and uncover the car, but once the process is understood then it's easy to use, and quick.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I wanted to bring up this old thread to share my experience with my car cover. After last year's hot summer and the discovery that the car doesn't do much of anything to keep the battery cool I was keen to find a way to keep the car (and the battery) cool as much as I can.

With that in mind I picked up a cover with an aluminized/reflective outer layer, I had to make a bit of a guess as to size and fit and think I did pretty well.

This is the exact one I got: https://amzn.to/2IEINuP

The size you want is F5 - Fit Hatchback length 165-178 inch

Currently selling for $50 which is about $5 cheaper than I paid in February.

As for whether it worked, I've only used it one day (yesterday was the first time I used it as temperatures were expected to be well above 90F) but I'm going to tentatively say yes, the temp of my battery at the end of the day was similar to what it was the previous day even though the ambient temperature was almost 10F warmer. The inside of the car was also cooler than I'd have expected. There are many more hot days to come so I'll know more later.

Also it remains to be seen how well this will hold up over the long term.

Hope this is helpful.

·
Registered
800 Posts
raitchison, that looks like a useful cover for my purposes. My Bolt will be stored under a carport all winter, and a cover would make sense. What have you tried, or was it even an issue, in order to use the charger on your Bolt?

Rich

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
raitchison, that looks like a useful cover for my purposes. My Bolt will be stored under a carport all winter, and a cover would make sense. What have you tried, or was it even an issue, in order to use the charger on your Bolt?
I haven't tried to charge with the cover on, though I do think it would work but I thing it would be a snug fit, you'd probably want to be careful pulling the cover over the connected charge cable so as not to stress the charging jack. Seems like worst case scenario is you'd need to make a small slit in the cover where the charge port is to allow you to plug in through the cover.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I knew I had seen some from Weathertech so here they are. I think the only concern with battery cooling would be maybe it would run a little bit more.

http://www.weathertech.com/chevrolet/2017/bolt-ev/car-covers/
I decided I didn't want taupe anything, so I bought this and received it yesterday.

SKU: 850340867
Covercraft® C18246GK - Evolution™ Gray Custom Car Cover
Chevy Bolt EV LT / Premier With Charging Port Flap 2019, Evolution™ Gray Custom Car Cover (C18246GK) by Covercraft®. With 2 Mirror Pockets, with Antenna Pocket. This outdoor all-weather car cover provides Covercraft’s highest and best level of...
Fits Following Model(s):
LT / Premier With Charging Port Flap

$184.50

SKU: 977298188
Covercraft® ZBAGGK - Evolution™ Gray Duffle Storage Bag
Evolution™ Gray Duffle Storage Bag (ZBAGGK) by Covercraft®, 29" L x 32" W. This polycotton duffle bag provides an easy way to store your car cover when not in use. Polycotton construction is lightweight, hard to tear, flexible, and resistant to oil based...

$10.20

Attachments

·
Registered
'17 Premier, Nightfall Gray Metallic
37 Posts
I haven't tried to charge with the cover on, though I do think it would work but I thing it would be a snug fit, you'd probably want to be careful pulling the cover over the connected charge cable so as not to stress the charging jack. Seems like worst case scenario is you'd need to make a small slit in the cover where the charge port is to allow you to plug in through the cover.
Hi, raitchison.

What can you report on the durability after 16 months of use, in SoCal? Would you still recommend this cover? My priority is sun protection for an extended period outdoors, so I'm interested in hearing about your experience.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I wanted to bring up this old thread to share my experience with my car cover. After last year's hot summer and the discovery that the car doesn't do much of anything to keep the battery cool I was keen to find a way to keep the car (and the battery) cool as much as I can.

With that in mind I picked up a cover with an aluminized/reflective outer layer, I had to make a bit of a guess as to size and fit and think I did pretty well.

This is the exact one I got: Amazon.com: GUNHYI Outdoor Car Covers for Automobiles Waterproof All Weather, 6 Layer Heavy Duty Cover Sun Uv Protection, Universal Fit Hatchback (Length 165-178inch): Automotive

The size you want is F5 - Fit Hatchback length 165-178 inch

Currently selling for $50 which is about $5 cheaper than I paid in February.

As for whether it worked, I've only used it one day (yesterday was the first time I used it as temperatures were expected to be well above 90F) but I'm going to tentatively say yes, the temp of my battery at the end of the day was similar to what it was the previous day even though the ambient temperature was almost 10F warmer. The inside of the car was also cooler than I'd have expected. There are many more hot days to come so I'll know more later.

Also it remains to be seen how well this will hold up over the long term.

Hope this is helpful.
Thank you. I have been looking all around for a cover that will fit my bolt!!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Hi, raitchison.

What can you report on the durability after 16 months of use, in SoCal? Would you still recommend this cover? My priority is sun protection for an extended period outdoors, so I'm interested in hearing about your experience.
So I've had the cover for 2 summers now, I only put the cover on the car on very hot days (when the ambient temp is expected to get above 95F), but I do usually take my car to lunch, which means taking the cover off and then putting it back on when I get back. I would estimate I have put it on and taken it off about 250-350 times total over 2 summers.

There are a couple of small tears in the cover that have developed, neither are huge and I plan on patching them with duct tape, though even so I doubt I'll get more than one more summer out of the cover. Still even so that's a cost of less than $20 per year.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts