Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has now happened twice now and I suppose I should take the car to the dealer for an evaluation. Two months back I drove to the Goodwill store to donate various items. I waited in a line of cars and when the car ahead of me was pulling out, I stepped on the accelerator to move forward. I was in "Low" at the time so I expected the car to travel only a few feet after I took my foot off of the accelerator. Not this time. The car immediately began to creep forward as though it was in "Drive". I then tried shifting into Drive and back into Low, to no-avail. My Bolt still wanted to creep forward whether I was in "D" or "L". I should mention that the entire parking area and drive-thru are flat and not on any kind of a hill.

Ok, so I put the car in Park (which is always a good idea anyway when people are unloading it). When they were finished taking the items out of the trunk, I shifted into "L" and left. At the parking lot exit, I took my foot off the accelerator and the car stopped just like it is supposed to!

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had that experience in their Bolt?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I have had it happen to me about 10 times in almost 2 years with my 2019. It's inconsistent and I can't reproduce it at will. I forget to put my seatbelt on a lot so I believe it happens under both scenarios. I did try to reproduce it tonight, with the seatbelt off and I could not reproduce it with my car. I just always chalked it up as a glitch like the reverse guides being missing or finding myself driving for 20 minutes in D and still seeing my backup camera until the car infosystem 'reboots' itself. I consider it rare.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Happened to me maybe 3 times in two years. Worked fine the next time I drove. Just a glitch like ZoomZoom said.

·
Registered
128 Posts
XJ's correct. My 2017 had creep when the seatbelt was off because IIRC it was a safety design to remind you that it wasn't in park. My 2019 no longer has it though - though I haven't read the 2019 manual to see if it's even mentioned.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
The only time my 2017 Bolt has crept while in "L" (aside from on a steep hill) is when I have my seatbelt unbuckled. When it happens I go "what the!??!" and then almost immediately realize it's because of the belt.

·
Registered
471 Posts
XJ's correct. My 2017 had creep when the seatbelt was off because IIRC it was a safety design to remind you that it wasn't in park. My 2019 no longer has it though - though I haven't read the 2019 manual to see if it's even mentioned.
The only time my 2017 Bolt has crept while in "L" (aside from on a steep hill) is when I have my seatbelt unbuckled. When it happens I go "what the!??!" and then almost immediately realize it's because of the belt.
The concept of introducing an unsafe condition (creep) see crazy to me.

I know the Bolt creeps in drive (like any car).

My 2017 will not creep in drive if one stops completely with the brake and then holds the regen paddle and then releases the brake. The car sits still. (Flat roads, of course.).

I think that assuming the car won’t creep in any gear is unwise by the driver. Always assume it will creep. If it does sometimes and doesn’t on others, that’s ok. There’s likely nothing wrong.

Also, there could be conditions related to the drivers ass being in the seat. Shift your weight, favor a cheek, lift your tushie, and what does it do? Is it a problem?

Probably not.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Just as a data point for my 2019... I always drive in L and frequently have my seatbelt off because I'll back out of the garage with it off, switch to L, drive down the driveway, and buckle my seatbelt before leaving the driveway. I also take it off at the end of the driveway when pulling back in the driveway when I get the mail (obviously putting it in park to get the mail and back in L to drive up the driveway) and I don't put it back on while driving up the (150 foot) driveway and into the garage. I often take the seatbelt off in drive-thru's too to get my wallet and I don't put it back on until after I've put my wallet in my back pocket. I've never had it creep in L.

Mike

·
Registered
2018 Bolt EV Premier Nightfall Gray
194 Posts
Happens occasionally, to the best of my recollection, it happens when I use brakes to stop (in D or L).

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
I've never had it creep in L.
Yeah, the 2017's are kind of crazy. If you have your seat belt off in 'L' pulling into the garage, the car will sometimes almost stop and then will literally take off into creep mode. It's the almost stopping that throws you off.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Was your vehicle 100% charged? If so, regenerative braking doesn’t work as expected. I’ve had that happen until I’ve driven far enough to drain some of the charge off the battery. That’s one of the reasons I’ve taken to charging hilltop reserve while at home. Then regenerative braking is immediately available all the time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
There is a rather convoluted “car wash mode” described in the manual. I gather it’s only necessary if you use an automated car wash where you’re not in the driver’s seat and the car is unoccupied.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I haven’t seen this type of car wash in15+ years. You would stop the car at the entrance, turn off the engine, and leave the car in neutral. The car wash conveyer would take the car through and car wash personnel would take it from the exit and detail it before having the owner come and reclaim the vehicle.

The Bolt does not like staying in neutral for very long. If you exit the vehicle it will automatically shift to park. The manual provides a method of overriding this automatic function.

If you stay in the vehicle, shift to neutral and enjoy the ride through car wash just like you would in any other car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This has now happened twice now and I suppose I should take the car to the dealer for an evaluation. Two months back I drove to the Goodwill store to donate various items. I waited in a line of cars and when the car ahead of me was pulling out, I stepped on the accelerator to move forward. I was in "Low" at the time so I expected the car to travel only a few feet after I took my foot off of the accelerator. Not this time. The car immediately began to creep forward as though it was in "Drive". I then tried shifting into Drive and back into Low, to no-avail. My Bolt still wanted to creep forward whether I was in "D" or "L". I should mention that the entire parking area and drive-thru are flat and not on any kind of a hill.

Ok, so I put the car in Park (which is always a good idea anyway when people are unloading it). When they were finished taking the items out of the trunk, I shifted into "L" and left. At the parking lot exit, I took my foot off the accelerator and the car stopped just like it is supposed to!

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had that experience in their Bolt?
My Bolt will creep in L if something is not properly set for driving, and intentionally so. No seat belt fastened, for instance, or the charging port cover not being fully closed. Creep is but one inconvenience. I seem to recall there are others as well, such as dash settings not setting. The solution is simple: Straighten things up for driving.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts