Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are not many public charging options where I live, and I mostly charge at home and at work. There is a Nissan dealer close to my home that has a level 2 charger on the side of the building, and it shows up on all my charging apps. I am thinking about parking there for a charge and taking a little walk.

What is the charging etiquette here? Do you think this is reserved for customers only? Should I give it a try?

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I was given a hard time at a Chevy dealership in PA over the summer when I did a long distance trip. Not what I expected from a company that’s trying to lead the way with EVs.

Best bet is to go in and ask the Nissan dealership if it’s ok. Also, at only 25-30 miles per hour of L2 charging, you may need to take a long walk.

·
Registered
173 Posts
OP, I'd give it a shot and ask for permission if the need arose.

Tim, shame on that dealer. Worthy of a quick tip on the ol' Plugshare I'd say.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
Yep, phone the dealer and ask. Doesn't cost anything, and if the answer is "go ahead" it will give you peace of mind to use it.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
But be ready for the possibility that it is a 16 amp, 206 volt (still level-2) EVSE, which only provides 10-12 rmpch (range miles per charging hour).

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
OP, I'd give it a shot and ask for permission if the need arose.

Tim, shame on that dealer. Worthy of a quick tip on the ol' Plugshare I'd say.
I just don’t understand why Chevy didn’t incentivize dealerships to install accessible L3 chargers, or at least a few accessible L2 chargers. It just seems like a no-brainer to encourage EV ownership. My understanding is that any dealership that sells the Bolt has an L3 charger, but there are no standards as to location or accessibility.

Mary Barba has stated that GM has no desire to set up a charging network like Tesla has, but the dealership network is already built-out, and most are in convenient locations near major highways.

Edit: I just checked PlugShare, and the dealership has lots of positive mentions from Bolt owners, so maybe they’ve seen the light, or maybe I just dealt with a service advisor who was having a bad day.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just curious why you'd charge at a dealership that is close to your home instead of just charging at home. I might be tempted to do it if I happened to be at the dealership, but it wouldn't be worth the few cents per hour you'd save.
Because my Bolt is still new to me, and I want to play with all the toys. There is an ACE hardware next door, and I was thinking about plugging in next time I go to ACE.

·
Registered
363 Posts
IMy understanding is that any dealership that sells the Bolt has an L3 charger
I have to say that is not true.
The local dealer has an L2, and the one time I tried it it acted like a 3.8 kw unit. The next nearest dealer sells Bolts and they don't have an L3 either.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I have to say that is not true.
The local dealer has an L2, and the one time I tried it it acted like a 3.8 kw unit. The next nearest dealer sells Bolts and they don't have an L3 either.
Well then, I stand corrected. Thanks.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I just don’t understand why Chevy didn’t incentivize dealerships to install accessible L3 chargers, or at least a few accessible L2 chargers. It just seems like a no-brainer to encourage EV ownership. My understanding is that any dealership that sells the Bolt has an L3 charger, but there are no standards as to location or accessibility.

Mary Barba has stated that GM has no desire to set up a charging network like Tesla has, but the dealership network is already built-out, and most are in convenient locations near major highways.

Edit: I just checked PlugShare, and the dealership has lots of positive mentions from Bolt owners, so maybe they’ve seen the light, or maybe I just dealt with a service advisor who was having a bad day.
NADA is the problem. Dealerships are independent and NADA represents them. Individual dealerships most likely see no reason to spend the capital and allocate the space for something that does not make them money.

Who do you think is the BODY complaing about manufacturer direct Tesla Sales?

If you dont think they are powerful:

http://wardsauto.com/news-analysis/new-nada-chief-says-cafe-fight-just-beginning

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
NADA is the problem. Dealerships are independent and NADA represents them. Individual dealerships most likely see no reason to spend the capital and allocate the space for something that does not make them money.

Who do you think is the BODY complaing about manufacturer direct Tesla Sales?

If you dont think they are powerful:

http://wardsauto.com/news-analysis/new-nada-chief-says-cafe-fight-just-beginning
My hunch is dealerships don't care to sell EVs since they don't represent the cash cow of maintenance that other vehicles do. They offer them reluctantly as a draw for potential EV buyers, and then attempt to sell them on something else, or at least upsell the options, which are quite lucrative. To sell EVs, the dealership must install a 240v EVSE at minimum. Since that is the minimum, that's what the majority will do. They will sell a minimum amount of EVs, and put forth a minimum effort and expenditure to do so.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
My understanding is that any dealership that sells the Bolt has an L3 charger,
I know GM made that statement. However, neither of the Chevy dealers around here, who have sold a few Bolts, have a DC fast charger yet. It was only going to be a 25 kW unit anyway. I can understand the push-back. They don't really want to sell them because of no service required. They are only selling a couple a year. The cost of the charger would be more than they have made on EV's so far. The big dealer, in Richmond, has two. But they are in a wealth neighborhood, right down the road from the Tesla showroom. They couldn't sell all those Escalades without making a show of offering EV's.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
:eek:No one promised me free EV charging, I don't expect it or think I'm entitled. I advocate more public access charging and I'm willing to pay.
It wouldn’t be necessary for dealerships to provide free charging, each dealership would determine whether or not to charge. Also, if GM subsidized the installation cost for public L2 or L3 chargers dealerships might see them as a potential revenue source and be more inclined to set them up.

GM could then give each new owner a charging network card with a limited amount of free charging, to encourage new owners to frequent dealerships.

One thing holding back some potential EV owners is the limited charging infrastructure in many areas. GM is certainly aware of this issue, but they don’t see it as an issue they can mitigate, despite a robust dealership network that could be part of the solution.

·
Registered
862 Posts
The Bolt is not capable of L3 charging (on AC or DC), so no reason to install them.

At least at the beginning, dealerships were required to have a DCFC unit in order to service the Bolt. What was sold by Chevy was a 24 kW Level 2 DCFC unit (lands at the lower end of the L2 range). Typical dealer "buy in" to service the Bolt (a requirement to sell them) was ~$40K. These were by necessity located in/near the service department.

Reasonable requirement in order to diagnose DC charging issues.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
The Bolt is not capable of L3 charging (on AC or DC), so no reason to install them.
OK. Technically, you are correct. Level 3 charging is CHAdeMO specific lingo. CCS uses "modes." And to confuse things more, they call DC fast charging "mode 4." Since the vast majority of EV's most of us have had experience with in the last seven plus years had CHAdeMO fast charging, the term L3 has become synonymous with DC fast charging...kind of like tissues are Kleenex.

·
Registered
862 Posts
OK. Technically, you are correct. Level 3 charging is CHAdeMO specific lingo. CCS uses "modes." And to confuse things more, they call DC fast charging "mode 4." Since the vast majority of EV's most of us have had experience with in the last seven plus years had CHAdeMO fast charging, the term L3 has become synonymous with DC fast charging...kind of like tissues are Kleenex.
Never seen the "modes" term. All the specs I've seen refer to levels

·
Registered
1,569 Posts

At least at the beginning, dealerships were required to have a DCFC unit in order to service the Bolt. What was sold by Chevy was a 24 kW Level 2 DCFC unit (lands at the lower end of the L2 range). Typical dealer "buy in" to service the Bolt (a requirement to sell them) was ~$40K. These were by necessity located in/near the service department.

Reasonable requirement in order to diagnose DC charging issues.
Ok, install a DC fast charger.

The terms “level 3” and “L3” are used extensively on this forum to refer to DC charging.

L1 - 110 volt AC
L2 - 220 volt AC
L3 - DC charging

I use the term L3 as it is commonly understood by forum members.

Reactions: ai4px
1 - 20 of 20 Posts