Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was kinda thrown off when I read the first sentence of this review.. "Here's proof that the electric car isn't going away..."

Who said the electric car was going anywhere ?! This is the time of the electric car isn't it ?
For the time being, we view the EV buyer’s decision as a relatively simple one. Those who have the funds will rightfully be lured by the cachet, the styling, and the charging network of a Tesla Model S or Model X. Anyone else would be foolish to buy anything other than the Bolt.
"Dweeby styling" was the first "Con" they have listed lol. Follow that up with incomplete fast-charging network and I really think that's not that bad of a list. Especially considering the "Pro" they have listed.

Article : http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2017-chevrolet-bolt-ev-test-review

·
Registered
735 Posts
I like the Bolt a lot but that article almost seems too in favor of the Bolt without factoring what else buyers can go for or what people are saying right now, one more reason why I head to social media since you get a look at what other buyers are doing, some which are far more informed than yourself.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Definitely.. I mean it makes more sense to be looking at/listening to other people that are in the same market that you're trying to get into. A lot of people do a lot more research and analysis than the average like me for example. Gotta love forums for that stuff as well. A ridiculous amount of information, resources, and individuals with a vast knowledge on the subject in general.

The reviews I mainly post to get others perspectives on them and compare thoughts. Gives other people more opinions to compare theirs too as well and opens up the mind a bit more

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
They did find a neat little feature in the Bolt. You need to warm up your EV before the car can deliver max regen braking, the Bolt will let you know the time is right by turning the green regen icon in the instrument cluster gray. Too bad the warning isn't more obvious.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Regen braking redux

They did find a neat little feature in the Bolt. You need to warm up your EV before the car can deliver max regen braking, the Bolt will let you know the time is right by turning the green regen icon in the instrument cluster gray. Too bad the warning isn't more obvious.
I think the reason the regen doesn't kick in right away is because the battery is at full charge and sends a signal to the system it doesn't need (nor can it take) additional power. On my Leaf, that lasts a couple of miles and then the regen operates normally.

·
Registered
25 Posts
You can set the Bolt to Hill Top Mode in its charge settings. This is for people who live on a hill. It stops charging somewhat short of full charge so that regen is immediately available to add charge.

·
Registered
172 Posts
While it's primarily because of regen not being possible with a full battery, it's also true that a sub-freezing pack should get maximum regen at that temp. So the question is what exactly the algorithm is that the Bolt uses to turn Regen off and on...

·
Registered
786 Posts
I

"Dweeby styling" was the first "Con" they have listed lol. Follow that up with incomplete fast-charging network and I really think that's not that bad of a list. Especially considering the "Pro" they have listed.
Wy do reviews have to mention useless details such as "incomplete fast-charging network"? Do reviews also complain if there is no gasoline station near the buyer's home? GM will not provide any "charging network", nor will ANY major manufacturer because there is a SAE J1772 standard that all EVs use to charge at any AC outlet. TM is using the "Supercharger" network as customer bait! Most Bolt EV owners will charge at home overnight (something no gas car can do), and most Model S owners do so, too.

Just decide if you need to travel long distances with your EV. Most don't, but for those who do, just buy a Chevy Volt!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Should EV reviews should be written by EV owners/users?

Wy do reviews have to mention useless details such as "incomplete fast-charging network"? Do reviews also complain if there is no gasoline station near the buyer's home? GM will not provide any "charging network", nor will ANY major manufacturer because there is a SAE J1772 standard that all EVs use to charge at any AC outlet. TM is using the "Supercharger" network as customer bait! Most Bolt EV owners will charge at home overnight (something no gas car can do), and most Model S owners do so, too.

Just decide if you need to travel long distances with your EV. Most don't, but for those who do, just buy a Chevy Volt!
Seems to me that inane comments such as "incomplete fast-charging network" indicate a complete lack of understanding of how EV users actually live with their cars. These reviewers just don't have a clue.

I have found that fueling an EV is like charging my cell phone- I just plug the sucker in at night and charge up on off-peak rates. It's like having a clean and safe gas station at home with no waiting in line like at Costco.

Long distance trips are a different kettle of fish and I admit to not taking my Leaf with its 90 mile real range on long-distance trips very often (I have used fast charge stations only four times on longer trips). But with 238 mile range, the optional $750 fast charger, and the fast charging network already pretty strong in California and growing every day, longer trips in my EV will certainly be in my wheelhouse in the future.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
that article almost seems too in favor of the Bolt without factoring what else buyers can go for or what people are saying right now,
Disagree, as automotive journalists drive more cars in a year than most of us drive in a lifetime and it's their job to put the subject in context. They've closely examined the entire EV lineup and told where the Bolt is best and where it isn't.

one more reason why I head to social media since you get a look at what other buyers are doing, some which are far more informed than yourself.
Agree, but only if one has sufficient experience and perspective to realize a significant percentage of social media content, including this site, is biased, trolled, based upon limited real data and often just plain wrong.

jack vines

1 - 10 of 10 Posts