Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After the entire day of raining, my car got flooded in the office parking lot. The water level rose and it seeped in thru the doors. How do I deal with this? Do i need a special body shop to dry the inside? Or can most car wash places handle this? Any recommendations?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Really sorry to hear that. Hope you are Ok otherwise. You didn't mention if you drove the car already, but be safe. A car's electrical system is durable, but it's not waterproof. If you have any doubts don't start the car.

A local car wash will have a wet/dry vacuum but I've never found one that worked really well and those are self-service anyway. I recommend buying your wet vac, this will give you the time you need to get all the moisture out and there's a pretty good chance you will use it again. Here are some links with more information, from basic to more advanced:

http://knowhow.napaonline.com/how-to-dry-out-your-wet-car-in-3-easy-steps/
https://www.ifsautoloans.com/blog/car-flood-dry-car/

I hope this works out for you.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Call your ins. co. and tell them what has happened
The carpet needs to be removed and replaced and any wire harnesses that run under it.
They need to wash the body out with detergent soap and allow it to air dry. You may also need to pull the service plug on the battery to check for water inside the case. Most likely the car will be a total loss, because the HVB and the wire harness live under the car and may have been compromised ????

Flood cars are usually a total loss due to the amount of damage.

·
Registered
544 Posts
First, really sorry to hear that, really sucks.

I second what drdiesel said though, go through your insurance company as there is quite a bit that needs to be checked before they can determine if the car is salvageable or if it will just be a total loss. If it is salvageable it won't be a simple dry the interior either for proper repair after flood damage.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Sorry to hear that your car is flooded. Best to contact your insurer and they may call it a total loss. I know a lot of problems can crop up with normal fuel engine cars, but I have no idea how a flood will affect electric cars.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Call your insurance company right away!

If the car took on water over the door sills it is considered "wet" in the trade and likely a total loss.

Your insurance company will write you a check.

We have 500,000 of them here in Houston right now...some brand new and now going to salvage.

Sorry you have to go through this but do yourself a favor and call them right away...that is what insurance is for.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'm wondering if the battery / motor are water proof. I had to drive thru a mini flood this morning, and it came close to the bottom cover of the car

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Well, what was the outcome of all this? Drives me nuts when people come on here with an interesting story and request advice, and then don't follow up.

As to flooding, if the car is fully functional, then likely all that needs to be done is to pull up the carpeting, rinse everything that got wet, and thoroughly dry it. Pulling the carpeting up is necessary, even if it appears dry on top. I'd probably just do this myself or hire a shop to do it for me than pay the $1,000 insurance deductible and have a claim on record that drives my rate up.

The dirty little secret is that water infiltration into the cabin is not that uncommon, even for brand new vehicles. Dealerships will just dry out the interior and sell the vehicle as new, with no disclaimer.

As long as water isn't going too much above the doorsill, it's unlikely to damage anything important.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Would your company's insurance be responsible for damages as well? I mean, if they're at fault such as not clearing drains and such.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I'm wondering if the battery / motor are water proof. I had to drive thru a mini flood this morning, and it came close to the bottom cover of the car
Every car has a wading depth that does no damage to the drive-train. I suspect the battery pack is hermetically sealed, and end any vents are run to a high point on the car like a snorkel.

At least that's how the LEAF pack was designed...its safe wading depth was second only to Range Rovers.

For the OP however, wet carpet is bad news....I agree with others advice. Get it inspected and call the ins co.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts