Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 Bolt and I absolutely love it. A couple months ago I noticed that it wasn't charging up all the way overnight. I soon realized that it was seeming to "fall asleep" a few hours after being plugged in. The light in the dash wasn't lit up at all and no electricity was coming out of the charging cord. I could "wake up" the car again by opening the door and it would start to charge again; but this obviously isn't ideal for charging that takes many hours. Unsure of whether or not this had to do with my charging cord or the car, I took it into the dealership... They WERE able to replicate the problem! Hence, charging cord is most likely fine, something going on with the car. They didn't really know what the issue was, so they did a software update (for free), and the problem seemed to be solved. UNTIL last week, it happened again! I'll take it back to the dealership... but I'm curious if anyone has experienced this with their Bolt, or knows anything about what the problem might be. I really do appreciate the guys at my dealership (kind, don't talk to me like I'm stupid, etc.), but they're GM guys and don't really seem to know very much about electric cars. Any thoughts? Thanks!

·
Registered
395 Posts
I also have a 2019 but have not had any problems charging except when my EVSE trips. Car is 100% ready on charging. I use time of departure charging. Sorry I can't provide a solution for your problem.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Wonder what color the dash light is when You are experiencing this? Flashing Green is what You want to see 'til charging is completed, then its solid green color. Did You ever track down what caused the problem?

·
Registered
777 Posts
OP, it might be helpful to note what type of charger / EVSE you have at home, as well as the wiring setup from the breaker. I understand that the dealer was able to replicate the problem, hence your conclusion that it may not be the charger, but it may potentially offer some insight.

I ran into a somewhat similar issue a couple of months ago. JuiceBox 40, with 40A supplied from the breaker. For some reason it would randomly stop charging and also would intermittently crash the EVSE. This was sometime after JuiceBox switched hands to EnelX. Anyway, what I did was use the software to limit the power output to 32A (which is the upper limit of what the Bolt can handle on L2 anyway), and I’ve never had issues since. I figured something must’ve been happening with the handshakes being performed between the EVSE and the Bolt’s charging system.

·
Registered
901 Posts
If you are using the stock EVSE, you may be plugging it in to a poorly operating plug. If the plug you are using is not very good, it will get hot... when it gets hot the thermal protection built in to the stock EVSE plug will trip. If the dealership used your stock EVSE for their testing, and plugged in to a crappy plug at the dealership it would act the same way.

If you are not using the stock EVSE disregard everything above :)

Keith

1 - 7 of 7 Posts