Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nothing too major but i was at a brush-less high pressure car wash tonight and the either the force of the water or the air dryer managed to open the charge port door. It wasn't broken and just a small amount of water had gotten in. The force must have been just enough to push the door in to unlatch it. When i got home i toweled off the area and got some canned air and made sure to blow out the charge ports.

Just something to be aware of.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I took my new Bolt through a car wash today, its first. This is the type of car wash where you aim your tires onto the "conveyor belt" and ride through in neutral. I was most nervous about having the car shift out of neutral during the wash, but that was not a problem.

However, as I was driving away from the car wash, I saw the alert that the charge port door was open. There was a small amount of water on the inside of the door, which I dried off. This can't be good. Is there a way to avoid this problem in the future? I don't know why Chevy didn't make this door latch like ICE cars, where the door release is from the inside of the car. I live in Michigan where it is not practical to wash the car myself in the winter.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I don't know why Chevy didn't make this door latch like ICE cars, where the door release is from the inside of the car. I live in Michigan where it is not practical to wash the car myself in the winter.
The reason ICE vehicles (some) have release handles inside the vehicle is to protect the car from someone either stealing gas from the car or protect the car from someone pouring something like sugar into the gas tank.

That's not a problem with our EVs. Going back a few (several?) years, All gas tank doors opened only from the outside.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I wonder if car wash vendors track vehicle specs and requirements pertaining to car washes?

Per the manual:

Avoid using high-pressure washes closer than 30 cm (12 in) to the surface of the vehicle. Use of power washers exceeding 8,274 kPa (1,200 psi) can result in damage or removal of paint and decals.

I've certainly violated that directive in the past when washing other vehicles, in terms of distance. Pressure washers don't seem very effective at significant distance (debatable efficacy in any case).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Nothing too major but i was at a brush-less high pressure car wash tonight and the either the force of the water or the air dryer managed to open the charge port door. It wasn't broken and just a small amount of water had gotten in. The force must have been just enough to push the door in to unlatch it. When i got home i toweled off the area and got some canned air and made sure to blow out the charge ports.

Just something to be aware of.
It's a feature to clean out your charge port ;)

Seriously, this could be a problem in the winter, water could freeze and prevent either opening the door or plugging in.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Yet another reason to have the charge port opened from inside the car.
Hmm. Our Volt is episodically afflicted with the stuck charger door issue (and yeah, it's tactically tractable for those who can lift a finger).

There is a law somewhat along the same as conservation of energy: the absolute number of complaints is constant even as the location of complaints changes.

Corollary with "The Conservation of Broke." The number of broken things in your life is constant. Fix one thing and the broke instantly moves somewhere else.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts