Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my weekly car wash yesterday did not go so well.

Upon exiting the mechanized wash (with no underbody spray), the car refused to shift.

The yellow car/exclamation point light came on along with the "conditions not ready to shift".

After about a 30 minute wait, it went in gear. I drove it directly to the dealer.

Water in the high voltage line to the battery at the connector.

Dealer refuses to cover it...only $80 bucks but really....now we can't wash the car in the car wash?

Dealer checked the seals and added dielectric grease to the connectors.

Seems to have cured the problem.

Anybody else had this experience?

·
Registered
678 Posts
Something I would have not even considered worrying about. Sorry, you mentioned seals, was that the point of water entry?

·
Registered
6,013 Posts
I wouldn't pay it. That's entirely a manufacturing defect, as these things should be completely sealed against submersion, let alone splashing water. My personality invites confrontation, so I'd make it clear to the dealer that I would never pay. That said, I totally understand just paying it and moving on.

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
Anybody else had this experience?
Yes, but ICE vehicles. Water in the distributor cap and it wouldn't start. Once rescued a couple at a car wash when their car wouldn't start after washing it. They thought I was a magician when I fixed their car in 2 minutes. High pressure water can get into about anything.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I wouldn't pay it. That's entirely a manufacturing defect, as these things should be completely sealed against submersion, let alone splashing water. My personality invites confrontation, so I'd make it clear to the dealer that I would never pay. That said, I totally understand just paying it and moving on.
I'd call BS on the dealer as well. Sounds like it could've happened in a big rain storm and that's a manufacturer defect/failure that they need to be aware of. Plus it wasn't a small leak (i.e. into the headlight assembly), this caused your car not to start!

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Good Luck! They are not gonna budge on this. The seal is not water proof.
Even if you went to court, you would not win. It's not designed to be water proof.

It's water resistant and that's it. This is yet another of 500+reasons, I hand was my car.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I dunno, those wash tunnels do spray quite a bit of water, but here in the Pacific Northwest, we do get the occasional torrential down pour: at 45mph, you only see a car about 4 seconds ahead of you). True, not a lot of water would spray up into the engine compartment nor enter it from the front grill area, but there will be lots of 1" and below puddles all over the place and as you run through those at 30mph, lots of water splashes out at 45 deg angles. I've seen plenty of inconsiderate drivers just rush through puddles, splashing sidewalks and pedestrians from head to toe.

That said, I'll reconsider my touchless car washes which spray even more water. I thought, though, as long as you spray parallel to the ground, all water shouldn't penetrate very deep into sensitive areas of the car. Downward angles shouldn't do any damage either. It's the upward sprays that can bypass all the air routing at door drains, grills, and hood causing major damage in the process.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts