Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I test drove a Bolt with the intention of crossing it off my car shopping list. I didn't expect to like the stubby little vehicle. Surprisingly, I loved it! I returned to the dealer later with a bike to see if the Bolt had enough cargo space to fit one in back without taking the wheel off. I was sure it wouldn't, but it did (a 56 cm road bike)! I thought a cyclist out there might like to know.

Now I'm thinking of buying a Bolt! :D

·
Registered
322 Posts
Can you describe how you oriented the bike, especially the angle of the front wheel?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Today I test drove a Bolt with the intention of crossing it off my car shopping list. I didn't expect to like the stubby little vehicle. Surprisingly, I loved it! I returned to the dealer later with a bike to see if the Bolt had enough cargo space to fit one in back without taking the wheel off. I was sure it wouldn't, but it did (a 56 cm road bike)! I thought a cyclist out there might like to know.

Now I'm thinking of buying a Bolt! :D

lol That's a funny story. Like it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Can you describe how you oriented the bike, especially the angle of the front wheel?
I'm thinking the OP meant to say fitting the bike without taking the REAR wheel off, into the space behind the back seat. Right? I have a 56cm bike and don't see how it'd fit with both wheels on, unless both rear seats are down, as well as the front passenger seat.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Orienting a road bike into the Bolt

I removed the false cargo floor cover for added space, then I brought in the back end of the road bike first, angling it carefully to get it through the rear opening. Once the back wheel was against the back of the front seats, I turned the front wheel upwards until it allowed me to close the hatch. It seemed miraculous that it fit, almost as though the engineers had a bike in mind when designing the cargo space dimensions.
:nerd:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Buzz, do you think if you take the front wheel off, the bike would fit in the cargo area with the back seats upright?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I returned to the dealer later with a bike to see if the Bolt had enough cargo space to fit one in back without taking the wheel off. I was sure it wouldn't, but it did (a 56 cm road bike)! I thought a cyclist out there might like to know.
Music to my ears. Thank you for posting this.

One of the reasons I love my RAV4 EV is because I can toss my road bike in the back. This makes my decision to turn it in at the end of the lease and get a Bolt that much easier.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Buzz, do you think if you take the front wheel off, the bike would fit in the cargo area with the back seats upright?
Austai, I really can't say for sure without testing it with a bike, but since there is a lot of height in the cargo area (after removing the false floor) it just might be possible. If I buy the Bolt, I'll give it a try and let you know.

While testing whether a bike could fit in back, I did take a couple measurements that may or may not be useful to you:

Storage length from hatch opening to the back of the front seats (with front seats in average positions) - 57"
Hatch opening diagonal measurement - 43"
Hatch opening width - 42"

·
Registered
6 Posts
Austai, I really can't say for sure without testing it with a bike, but since there is a lot of height in the cargo area (after removing the false floor) it just might be possible. If I buy the Bolt, I'll give it a try and let you know.
That'd be great, thanks. I have a hatchback now and have to remove 2 child seats before I can lower the rear seat backs. (My car is too old to spend money on adding a hitch for an external bike rack, and a clamp-on rack cannot work with the rear wind deflector.) So not having to lower the rear seat to put in my bike would be a boon.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I removed the false cargo floor cover for added space, then I brought in the back end of the road bike first, angling it carefully to get it through the rear opening. Once the back wheel was against the back of the front seats, I turned the front wheel upwards until it allowed me to close the hatch. It seemed miraculous that it fit, almost as though the engineers had a bike in mind when designing the cargo space dimensions.
i fit my road bike into the car without removing false cargo floor before reading this thread.

the bike was almost hitting the passenger seat, so i moved it forward and tilted. but after reading this thread, i did notice the front tire did have room to turn in the trunk, i will try removing the false cargo.

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
I put the front passenger seat all the way forward. I put down both rear seats. I put my 58cm roadbike in, back wheel first, chain side up, of course. With the wheel tight against the back of the front seat, turning the front wheel at 90 degrees, I was able to get the bike jammed tight. The seat was hitting one wall, the wheel was at the bottom of the cargo floor (no false floor), and one bar end was preventing me from closing the lid. I had to flip the quick release on the front wheel, open the brake caliper, and wiggle the wheel to pry it loose. So fitting it, without a front wheel, would be easy. If you needed room for an adult front passenger, both wheels would need to come off. The rear wheel is the greasy pain to remove and install, so I'm happy. Dropping the seat would help a lot. Oh! And the cargo cover thingie had to come out before even starting.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I take the front wheel off, keep the cargo area flat, and throw a tarp to protect the carpet and seatback. I only have to push the front passenger seat forward a few inches, and someone can still sit there. But, with only one bike aboard, I have yet to experience the need to have room for a passenger.

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
I only needed to do this when I took the Bolt to the paint shop, to have the grille painted. I haven't carried a bike in or on a car in six years, just to go riding. Now that I ride electric assist, I can get anywhere the Bolt can without a car. For instance, in September I will be driving the Bolt to a brewery for Drive Electric Week, so yesterday I rode there to check it out...120 miles round trip.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
e-Scooter in cargo?

I am hoping you all can help answer this - do you know if a xiaomi mi365 folded up will fit in the cargo area of the Bolt with the seats up? I have a Volt and carry my scooter around with me everywhere. I am considering trading out my Volt for a Bolt and wondering if i will have issues.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I've got a folder, but I'm too lazy to fold it. I just do a bike rack and hang a non folder on.

Today I test drove a Bolt with the intention of crossing it off my car shopping list. I didn't expect to like the stubby little vehicle.
Hatchbacks are great aren't they. You would not believe the things I fit into my little 90 honda. Some of the lengthier ones went from the firewall to the back glass. And they would not have fit into a larger sedan at all.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yeah - the Xiaomi does fold up - but still has some decent size to it. It fits in my Volt - so am hopeful it will fit in the Bolt as well :)

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I load my road bike into my Bolt once or twice a week during the cycling season. I fold down the rear seats, remove the front wheel, and load the bike bars-first into the car. Takes about 30 seconds. I did try loading the bike with the front wheel still on, and it fit, but it’s quicker and easier to do it with the front wheel removed. Like most road bikes my front wheel attaches with a quick release, takes a couple of seconds to put the wheel back on once the bike is out of the car.

My front fork came with two “lawyer tabs” on the outside of the fork blades, which are there to stop the front wheel from coming off if the quick release isn’t closed properly. I filed those tabs off before I installed the fork, so my quick release can function as a quick release, as nature intended.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts