Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think this will come to future model of the Bolt series?

As always I know it will get hacked at some point....but it still seems to be a neat feature.

·
Registered
2018 Bolt EV Premier Nightfall Gray
77 Posts
Do you think this will come to future model of the Bolt series?

As always I know it will get hacked at some point....but it still seems to be a neat feature.
I wouldn't hold my breath. If GM supported this for Apple, then they would have to do it for Google too. I may trust Apple with the keys to my car, but not so sure about Google...

It would be nice if Apple\Google could get automakers together in a consortium and work on mutually beneficial features. Apple and Google always seem to come up with great ideas, but seem to be more of an outsider trying to work themselves into car tech. Maybe if they worked together, some interesting and exciting things might result?

·
Registered
486 Posts
I wonder if an aftermarket solution would be possible? There is actually an aftermarket plug-in module that enables Bolt EVs sold in Korea (as with other GM vehicles) to do remote door lock/unlock, charge monitoring and other stuff via LTE connection because there's no OnStar service in Korea.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wonder if an aftermarket solution would be possible? There is actually an aftermarket plug-in module that enables Bolt EVs sold in Korea (as with other GM vehicles) to do remote door lock/unlock, charge monitoring and other stuff via LTE connection because there's no OnStar service in Korea.
Interesting! Would be interested in learning more.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Anyone else have any opinions on this matter?
Over time, all these types of interfaces die out. Because of that, I've learned to avoid these type of features. I'm barely limping along on my old WEP WiFi. My newer devices won't support it (e.g. my Bolt) and my older devices won't support the WPA. This is an example only. Please, no lectures about how insecure WEP is. If I adopt CarKey (doubtful as I'm not a fan of all things Apple), we'll be discussing how it no longer works on version 32.2.3 in 5 to 10 years. Heck, even GM's KeyPass is dying in 3 years. Not to mention they killed the original OnStar app.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Over time, all these types of interfaces die out. Because of that, I've learned to avoid these type of features. I'm barely limping along on my old WEP WiFi. My newer devices won't support it (e.g. my Bolt) and my older devices won't support the WPA. This is an example only. Please, no lectures about how insecure WEP is. If I adopt CarKey (doubtful as I'm not a fan of all things Apple), we'll be discussing how it no longer works on version 32.2.3 in 5 to 10 years. Heck, even GM's KeyPass is dying in 3 years. Not to mention they killed the original OnStar app.
I think anything app-based faces a similar fate eventually. Hopefully, it's would be provided as a secondary convenience feature rather than the only way.

BTW, a device that supports WEP but not WPA must be pretty old and sturdy. Heck WPA2 devices started getting certified in 2004...

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
BTW, a device that supports WEP but not WPA must be pretty old and sturdy. Heck WPA2 devices started getting certified in 2004...
I keep an old 386 laptop with DOS to use my first generation OBD tool to talk to my older cars. I couldn't get the system to run on newer computers and the connectors are the older serial port before USB. This computer predates WiFi though. I'll avoid some companies/products if its obvious they are practicing planned obsolescence to make money. Some products die to market forces that some companies can't successfully navigate through.

I did find out that my wireless access point would support the older WEP and WPA simultaneously when I got the Bolt. So ended up not upgrading my WiFi network hardware, but just added another SSID with the WPA protocol. My phone will use either network protocol. The Bolt will only accept the WPA protocol.

If I took inventory of my devices, probably most would support WPA now. Just that they were configured on WEP. Suddenly killing the WEP and having to explain to the wife why her computer doesn't work on the WiFi anymore is worth avoiding. Just saying.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Presumably it would take some kind of software update to the Bolt. Sure seems GM has been hesitant in rolling out any software updates for anything on the three years worth of Bolts out in the wild. I think they are still operating like how they operate on other cars. Once it rolls off the assembly line, no more updates unless something is actually broken. If you want the feature you'll have to buy a newer version of the car BS.

But, I'll eat my words if we start getting some nice OTA updates since my 2020 has an OTA setting and I have it turned on and my home wifi configured in the car.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I keep an old 386 laptop with DOS to use my first generation OBD tool to talk to my older cars. I couldn't get the system to run on newer computers and the connectors are the older serial port before USB. This computer predates WiFi though. I'll avoid some companies/products if its obvious they are practicing planned obsolescence to make money. Some products die to market forces that some companies can't successfully navigate through.
What about DOSbox, the DOS emulator and some USB to serial adapters?

I love DOSbox, I've actually had DOSbox running Windows 3.11, Windows 95, and Windows 98 on my Android phone, just for fun (and SkiFree).

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
What about DOSbox, the DOS emulator and some USB to serial adapters?

I love DOSbox, I've actually had DOSbox running Windows 3.11, Windows 95, and Windows 98 on my Android phone, just for fun (and SkiFree).
I'd probably get an OBD-II reader that can read OBD1 at some point. 386 would have to die or my Bolt's battery is behaving badly before I'd even look into it. I have this tool philosophy, that I only buy a tool when I need it. Most every tool I have has a story behind it. I am quick to jump into working on something if I know I'm going to need a new tool.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts