Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've grown accustomed to displaying the map in my OEM nav system, even when I'm not actively navigating to a destination (it serves as a gentle reminder about where I'm going).

When using Apple maps in CarPlay, does it update the car's location even when route guidance isn't active?

·
Registered
979 Posts
When using Apple maps in CarPlay, does it update the car's location even when route guidance isn't active?

Yes it does. Also I noticed it passively traces a route to home along with distance and ETA. The latter feature is probably dependent on Bolt's WIFI hotspot in order to get the ETA.

Google Navigation also updates the gps location on-screen even when offline, likely Apple maps does it offline too.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have been playing around with my wifi and apple phone. When I have the wifi in the car activated I believe I am consuming data. If the phone is also on and connected to the car's wifi then am I safe in believing that my data is not being consumed by the phone. Is the phone essentially connected like it would be at home and not incurring any data consumption? What is the best way to connect. Right now I have wifi turned off in the car and then use my phone's cellular data to connect with Pandora and Maps.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Right now I have wifi turned off in the car and then use my phone's cellular data to connect with Pandora and Maps.
I asked OnStar this very question (tho it was in relation to playing songs off of iTunes not on my phone) they said it would be going thru my phone whether or not wifi was on.

I wasn't entirely convinced the person was knowledgeable.

·
Registered
179 Posts
If your phone is connected to the cars wifi then it consumes the on star data plan. If you don't want to consume cars data then turn off wifi on your phone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts