Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even on short commutes and short drives around town, CarPlay will simply drop the sound for several seconds, usually multiple times in a single trip. More than once, CarPlay completely disconnects. iPhone is just sitting in the well the entire time.

Am I gonna have to take it in to the dealer? Dollars to doughnuts no one there will have a clue and will have no way to diagnose that kind of issue.

·
Registered
543 Posts
As cwerdna said, a bad cable is your most likely culprit of this. However Carplay also seems to have issues with (in my experience) VPNs on your phone. If I have my VPN turned on I get drops anytime it switches networks, wifi or other such switches. I don't have that issue with my VPN turned off.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I use CarPlay a lot. I've not had this issue.

Using a genuine Apple Lightning cable or a quality Made for i cable (https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201619 https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204566)? I use a genuine Apple Lightning cable.
Nope.

First, unless the cable is specifically bad, that's never an issue. We're talking binary signaling here.

And I was expecting someone to haul out the "it's the cable" trope. This is the 3rd(!) cable I've experienced this with (all either Apple or certified), and the current one is one I pulled unused out of a new iPad box.

It's not the cable.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As cwerdna said, a bad cable is your most likely culprit of this. However Carplay also seems to have issues with (in my experience) VPNs on your phone. If I have my VPN turned on I get drops anytime it switches networks, wifi or other such switches. I don't have that issue with my VPN turned off.
If you're not using a VPN on your phone, then you probably also don't use anti-virus software on your home computer and like to live dangerously. But if it is being caused by VPN software--how do you diagnose that?--then that's a clear bug in the Bolt software. Software should be able to recover gracefully (and without user intervention) when interrupted, and if it does not, it's the software's fault, not the user's, not the other software on the device, and certainly not the cable's.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I agree it’s not the cable. I have a love hate relationship to CP. I love it most of the time but the software does fail now and then. In my experience the problem is most frequently with the app on the phone. I use Overcast for pod casts and it went from nearly unusable to nearly perfect with one point release update. I’ve never had an issue with any of the Apple supplied apps.

All that said, the symptoms you describe lead me to believe this is probably a hardware problem on the phone or the car. Software doesn’t normally fail this way, it just works or crashes. I have had the Audible app crash, and when it does it fades to nothing, but it won’t restart by itself, it must be restarted with the user interface. You could test the phone side by borrowing another iPhone and see if it has the same problems. If it does, then I’d look to the car hardware.

There is one other possible cause and that’s radio interference. If the problem often occurs near the same location there may be a strong RF single that’s just nuking your system. This seems pretty unlikely but I don’t completely discount it. It would indicate improperly installed shielding somewhere.

Is the problem worse in warm weather? This could indicate a heat related problem in the amp, which isn’t that uncommon for amps in general and is definitely work mentioning to the dealer.

CarPlay is far from perfect, but it’s a lot better than your experience indicates. Good luck tracking it down. I hope it doesn’t require an argument with the dealer to fix.

·
Registered
543 Posts
If you're not using a VPN on your phone, then you probably also don't use anti-virus software on your home computer and like to live dangerously. But if it is being caused by VPN software--how do you diagnose that?--then that's a clear bug in the Bolt software. Software should be able to recover gracefully (and without user intervention) when interrupted, and if it does not, it's the software's fault, not the user's, not the other software on the device, and certainly not the cable's.
Well that is a fairly interesting and unrelated response to me simply stating my observations. Have fun figuring your issue out. heh.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well that is a fairly interesting and unrelated response to me simply stating my observations. Have fun figuring your issue out. heh.
Not at all. you demonstrated that you're an apologist for bad software, blaming other elements in the system, and I called you out on it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree it’s not the cable. I have a love hate relationship to CP. I love it most of the time but the software does fail now and then. In my experience the problem is most frequently with the app on the phone. I use Overcast for pod casts and it went from nearly unusable to nearly perfect with one point release update. I’ve never had an issue with any of the Apple supplied apps.

All that said, the symptoms you describe lead me to believe this is probably a hardware problem on the phone or the car. Software doesn’t normally fail this way, it just works or crashes. I have had the Audible app crash, and when it does it fades to nothing, but it won’t restart by itself, it must be restarted with the user interface. You could test the phone side by borrowing another iPhone and see if it has the same problems. If it does, then I’d look to the car hardware.

There is one other possible cause and that’s radio interference. If the problem often occurs near the same location there may be a strong RF single that’s just nuking your system. This seems pretty unlikely but I don’t completely discount it. It would indicate improperly installed shielding somewhere.

Is the problem worse in warm weather? This could indicate a heat related problem in the amp, which isn’t that uncommon for amps in general and is definitely work mentioning to the dealer.

CarPlay is far from perfect, but it’s a lot better than your experience indicates. Good luck tracking it down. I hope it doesn’t require an argument with the dealer to fix.
That's the trouble with intermittent software issues. They are a PITA to troubleshoot. At least when I'm debugging my JavaScript class project, the same errors happen the same way until I find them and fix them.

But this seems to be at random. Heck, it's happened when I'm not even moving, stopped at a stop light.

And, sadly, it hasn't really gotten all that warm yet around here. Heck, it was drizzling this morning, bot just fog, but heavy drizzle. In California in May.

Thing is, I'd rather use Bluetooth to listen to my music because I annoyingly occasionally forget to grab my phone when I get out of my car when I'm using CarPlay, but the Bluetooth volume is SO much lower than any other source (and I know it's not the iPhone because I get the exact same behavior with my Pixel). And I know Apple is slowly losing a bit of credibility with being able to release solid software, but it's pretty clear here that this is far, far more likely Chevy's fault (or whoever they contracted for this software--that they have some open source software in the mix is...interesting...) than Apple's. I liken this to the MLB app, which historically fails to recover its streaming audio whenever there's a break in network coverage. It's just sloppy, rushed code that's getting released, and dealers have no way of getting a car's software fixed.

·
Registered
393 Posts
First, unless the cable is specifically bad, that's never an issue. We're talking binary signaling here.

And I was expecting someone to haul out the "it's the cable" trope. This is the 3rd(!) cable I've experienced this with (all either Apple or certified), and the current one is one I pulled unused out of a new iPad box.

It's not the cable.
For many folks on both CarPlay and Android Auto, if often turns out to be the cable. I had no info from your initial post to have any idea what cables you were using.

There is a chip in each Lightning cable and all bets are off on crappy ones.
https://www.cultofmac.com/196148/the-security-chip-inside-apples-lightning-cable-isnt-even-as-sophisticated-as-those-found-inside-printer-cartridges/
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/bj34z5/why-counterfeit-lightning-cables-kill-iphones-cheap-iphone-chargers

Someone else mentioned iOS betas. I wouldn't run those on my personal phone. Even released versions are buggy enough
You could test the phone side by borrowing another iPhone and see if it has the same problems. If it does, then I’d look to the car hardware.
+1
Indeed. Bizarre response. I do use anti-virus software on my home computer and practice relatively safe computing but do NOT use VPN on my phones.

Just a quick Google search for carplay vpn problems turns up many hits over at discussions.apple.com, reddit, etc. Maybe VPN is the culprit? What if you listen to locally stored (on the phone music) and not streamed music?

(Some iOS and tvOS apps use HTTP Live Streaming (HLS): https://developer.apple.com/streaming/ and https://developer.apple.com/documentation/http_live_streaming/understanding_the_http_live_streaming_architecture. I wouldn't be surprised if underlying network wonkiness like disconnects, reconnects (complete w/delays) and network interface changing cause all sorts of wonkiness. The VPN client we have to use for work on our computers is umm.... quirky, if you ask me.)

FWIW, my iPhone 8 is on iOS 12.1.4. I'm usually intentionally a little behind with updating my personal phone to the latest non-beta iOS. (I test iOS software for a living (no, our app doesn't support CarPlay) and will update some of my test devices to the latest iOS pretty quickly.) In this case, I'm overdue and will be going to 12.2 real soon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had this issue also. It always connects in the beginning of the trip and then drops off after a while which my first instinct is heat related. I don't think the culprit could be the cable because it does work fine and then drops off after some time establishing each time that the cable is working. Another thing I've noticed is that sometimes Carplay won't come up but the phone is charging through the cable. But that is inconsistent because sometimes the phone won't even charge through the cable after some time. Very frustrating because we all know the dealer will be worthless if figuring out this issue.

·
Registered
489 Posts
There's a possibility that the cable itself isn't "bad", per se, but still does not get along with the USB connection / subsystem on the Bolt EV. Essentially a bit of both hardware-software thing. It can get tricky to diagnose if this is the case. Slight variations on the signalling voltage, maybe? Your guess is as good as mine.

I have this cable which works fine on a computer but became flaky as heck on my Bolt EV after a month. I switched to a different cable and it's been rock solid for over half a year. Both were not MFI-certified.

Also, I should note that my iPhones (X initially, XS now) went through latter variations of iOS 11 and all variations of iOS 12 (up to 12.3 release). I never had a version-specific issue. YMMV, of course.

·
Registered
318 Posts
If this helps I just came back from a long trip and my iPhone would car play and my iPad would not, even with the same cable. Turned car on and off many many times blah blah blah.
Stopped at a Chevy dealer for a DCFC and salesman asked me how I liked my Bolt. Said I loved it except the Apple car play was a problem. He said GM has never gotten it right, doesn't work in any of their cars right, even the Cadillacs. So that is your probable solution. It just doesn't work. And they expect me to drive in an autonomous car sometime soon?
Big HahHah! Not on my dime sucker!

·
Registered
489 Posts
If this helps I just came back from a long trip and my iPhone would car play and my iPad would not, even with the same cable. Turned car on and off many many times blah blah blah.
Stopped at a Chevy dealer for a DCFC and salesman asked me how I liked my Bolt. Said I loved it except the Apple car play was a problem. He said GM has never gotten it right, doesn't work in any of their cars right, even the Cadillacs. So that is your probable solution. It just doesn't work. And they expect me to drive in an autonomous car sometime soon?
Big HahHah! Not on my dime sucker!
iPads do not support CarPlay. They never have. Even the official Apple CarPlay website lists iPhones only (scroll to the bottom).
https://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/

·
Registered
318 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Thanks for the tip. Better tell this guy too:https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/10689240/Apple-brings-CarPlay-to-iPhone-and-iPad-with-iOS-7.1.html
Never the less, the salesperson was talking about carplay in general and not iPad specific.
Yeah, that article's claim of CarPlay iPad support is sloppy journalism. Even the very article that it links to (and written by the same person!) never mentions any sort of iPad support in the first place. I'm not sure where that "journalist" got the idea. It's been 5 years since the article was posted, so I guess he never bothers to correct any mistakes.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Someone had posted a similar problem a month or two ago, and I've had similar issues. My two cents on this is that it has to do with how CarPlay handles the "handing off" from WiFi to 4G/LTE, and it seems to be worse with Amazon apps such as Music and Audible.

Essentially, if I'm plugged in while in the garage, in reach of our home's WiFi signal, CarPlay drops off a block or two away, when the phone's 4G/LTE takes over the streaming duties. Almost always happens with Music and Audible, sometimes requiring a quick unplug-plug of the lightning cable.

And, I beg to differ that it's a Chevy problem. We installed an aftermarket Pioneer head unit on my wife's Subaru recently, and it does the exact same thing on CarPlay.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts