Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Off topic: Where in the iphone settings do I get Maps to show other than North at the top of the screen? I tried out the spouse's Car Play yesterday, and having a view from outer space is great, but doesn't help with driving.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Off topic: Where in the iphone settings do I get Maps to show other than North at the top of the screen?
If you're talking about Google Maps on Android Auto, touching anywhere on the map will bring up some icons on the right side. Then touch the icon that looks like a little compass. This will toggle between "North is up" and "aerial view looking toward the direction you're heading in".

·
Registered
391 Posts
Off topic: Where in the iphone settings do I get Maps to show other than North at the top of the screen? I tried out the spouse's Car Play yesterday, and having a view from outer space is great, but doesn't help with driving.
Off the top of my head, I don't know. Can try to get back to you another day on that.

Normally on Apple Maps on iPhone itself (no CarPlay) involved when not being navigated, if you tap the little marker/arrow at the upper right, it'll toggle between north up vs. what direction you're pointing. If you two finger drag up or down on the screen, it'll go into 3D map mode.

You could try other map apps like Google Maps or Waze over CarPlay. I mostly tend to have Waze visible which doesn't seem to have a north up option anyway. I actually prefer north up maps.

·
Registered
391 Posts
^^^
Ok. Sorry for the delayed response.

On the car's screen when using Apple Maps in via CarPlay, if you tap in the middle of the screen, then tap the pointer/arrow near the upper left, that should toggle north up on/off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
On topic, I'm having a similar issue except with Google Maps.

The phone: iPhone 6s, OS 12.4
The car: 2019 Chevy Bolt

Scenario: Phone is plugged into car and using Google Maps. Roughly 75 per cent of the time, after 10 to 20 minutes of driving, the car display flips back to the default screen, Carplay icon shows up on phone, Google maps reappears a few seconds later, except it now either shows the "push go to navigate to this point" screen or the generic map screen (as if no destination had been entered) instead of continuing navigation.

Corrective actions:
- tried three different Apple-brand Lightning cables, one of which was brand new, and both ports
- tried with and without Bluetooth turned on
- tried disabling and reeneabling USB restricted mode
- reset phone and Siri
- re-paired phone with car
- had Chevy dealership check for radio updates (none)
- had dealership keep car for 24 hours and drive it for an hour with an iphone using google maps while the car was plugged into diagnostic computer. Could not reproduce problem
- tried it with another iPhone. Problem did not occur within 1 hour of driving
- cleaned port on phone.

Am going to try nuking the phone and reloading everything, and failing that, replacing the phone.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem here could be? If this is hardware related, it seems obscenely obscure

·
Registered
855 Posts
On topic, I'm having a similar issue except with Google Maps.

The phone: iPhone 6s, OS 12.4
The car: 2019 Chevy Bolt

Scenario: Phone is plugged into car and using Google Maps. Roughly 75 per cent of the time, after 10 to 20 minutes of driving, the car display flips back to the default screen, Carplay icon shows up on phone, Google maps reappears a few seconds later, except it now either shows the "push go to navigate to this point" screen or the generic map screen (as if no destination had been entered) instead of continuing navigation.

Corrective actions:
- tried three different Apple-brand Lightning cables, one of which was brand new, and both ports
- tried with and without Bluetooth turned on
- tried disabling and reeneabling USB restricted mode
- reset phone and Siri
- re-paired phone with car
- had Chevy dealership check for radio updates (none)
- had dealership keep car for 24 hours and drive it for an hour with an iphone using google maps while the car was plugged into diagnostic computer. Could not reproduce problem
- tried it with another iPhone. Problem did not occur within 1 hour of driving
- cleaned port on phone.

Am going to try nuking the phone and reloading everything, and failing that, replacing the phone.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem here could be? If this is hardware related, it seems obscenely obscure
I applaud your detailed and methodical troubleshooting, it sure appears as if you've tracked it down to being unique to that phone, based on your description I definitely would have put money on it being a cable or connection issue.

I would still suspect the phone connection, the "fingers" that make the connection to the lands on the connector or a fractured/ intermittent solder connection. Not sure if Apple has any approved contact cleaner or procedure for that port.

If you do resort to reformatting the phone you might try only installing the minimum you need to test Google maps, to see if it's an interaction with some other background tasks

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Well this is interesting. Over the weekend, during long drive both days, from SF into hot weather (90s) and back, I had my iPhone plugged in the whole duration (using Apple Maps for directions part of the time), and not one single drop.

The past 3 days on my commute to and from work, CarPlay has dropped out during every trip.

Sometimes it comes back during the trip, sometimes it does not. When it does, it seems as if the music (from playlists of music on the phone, not any streaming) had been playing in the "background" while CarPlay was disconnected.

When I parked in my garage last night, I left the Bolt on, and disconnected and reconnected the cable. It was not even providing power, never mind CarPlay (or any other type of) connectivity. This isn't just CarPlay dropping out; this is a total disconnect while plugged in.

This morning, CarPlay dropped, then came back. The it dropped again, and I looked at the display and saw the "Bolt EV:" logo, like the system was rebooting. When it "came back," Car Play connected and started playing where it left off.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Did anyone ever figure out a solution to this? I just bought a brand-new 2020 Bolt over the weekend and am having the same intermittent disconnect issues with CarPlay described by @twriter and @Kevin Ma. And I have an added data point here -- I also have a Chevrolet Volt with CarPlay, and I am not having any problems at all in that car with the same phone and the same cable. So it seems 99.999% certain that my iPhone and my cable are not the cause of the problem.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Did anyone ever figure out a solution to this? I just bought a brand-new 2020 Bolt over the weekend and am having the same intermittent disconnect issues with CarPlay described by @twriter and @Kevin Ma. And I have an added data point here -- I also have a Chevrolet Volt with CarPlay, and I am not having any problems at all in that car with the same phone and the same cable. So it seems 99.999% certain that my iPhone and my cable are not the cause of the problem.
I finally took it to the dealer--and they actually were able to reproduce the issue. The "solution" was to replace the head unit. And this was just before the shutdown. The part arrived just after lockdown, but by the time I felt comfortable enough to go out of the house, the part was shipped backed. They are supposed to order it again, but I'm procrastinating on finding out when it will arrive, as I have not heard from them in a few weeks now.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts