Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got to the dealer for my complimentary tire rotation, and asked them to check on the Car Play issues I've been having. I gave as much detail as possible, knowing that with intermittent issues that cannot be reliably reproduced, it can be tough to diagnose the root cause. Turns out the tech connected their own iPhone and the disconnect issue actually occurred during their testing! So they decided they will swap out the radio unit for a new one. It'll take a couple of days to get it in, and then I'll have to arrange to leave the car there for another day, so we'll see what happens.

They also said that there were no software updates available. And I know that just replacing the radio doesn't determine the actual root cause. (Way back when, when I worked for Microsoft one summer in the product support division, many techs who could not find what a customer's problems really was resorted to the "solution" of "reinstall Windows"--which is not really a "solution" at all, just a hopeful Band-Aid.) But I'll have my fingers crossed anyway.

Meanwhile, after almost exactly 12K miles, I have 8/32s of tread on all of my tires. I would assert this indicates good driving habits.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Meanwhile, after almost exactly 12K miles, I have 8/32s of tread on all of my tires. I would assert this indicates good driving habits.
That asserts outstanding driving habits, after 31k miles I had 2/32. 8/32 is the "as new spec" for tread depth for our OEM tires.

For the Apple Carplay issue, I assume the tech used his own cable, not yours?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That asserts outstanding driving habits, after 31k miles I had 2/32. 8/32 is the "as new spec" for tread depth for our OEM tires.

For the Apple Carplay issue, I assume the tech used his own cable, not yours?
My assumption is the opposite. My cable was in the car; I told then that it was the 3rd cable I'd tried, all with the same behavior, and the existing one came from an Apple product box where I'd not yet used the cable.

·
Registered
20 Posts
This sounds like bad cables. I had the same issue intermittent connection with OEM apple cords and other around the house. just wouldn’t come on etc. or would then wouldn’t. finally got a short cord online and haven’t had any issues since. Also check to make sure your plug in isn’t dirty on the phone from pocket lint etc.

·
Registered
13 Posts
@twriter Could you share the resolution of these issues? Did replacing the radio fix the problems you were having? I'm experiencing very similar issues with my Bolt.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I know Android Auto can also be very finicky about not working if the cable is old or too long or not "stock". I'm now using a Google pixel phone and stock Google provided cable. No Problems since.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@twriter Could you share the resolution of these issues? Did replacing the radio fix the problems you were having? I'm experiencing very similar issues with my Bolt.
I finally took it to the dealer--and they actually were able to reproduce the issue. The "solution" was to replace the head unit. And this was just before the shutdown. The part arrived just after lockdown, but by the time I felt comfortable enough to go out of the house, the part was shipped backed. They are supposed to order it again, but I'm procrastinating on finding out when it will arrive, as I have not heard from them in a few weeks now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts