Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I have a 2017 Bolt Premier. It has worked fine with carplay until iOS 13. I'm not 100% sure if it was 13.0 or one of the updates since then but now it's basically unusable. It will open and launch, but after <1 minute the audio starts skipping and dropping out. I'm pretty sure this is Bolt+iOS 13 specific because I've:
  • Replaced the cable with a brand new, Apple one.
  • My iPhone running latest iOS works fine in my wife's Volvo, which also has Carplay
  • Another, old iPhone we have which is still on iOS12 works fine on the Bolt.
I actually had my free scheduled maintenance at the dealer recently and they said there weren't any software updates and they didn't see the problem (this is probably because I'd turned off carplay and was just using USB streaming at the time I brought it in).

The issue has persisted through multiple power cycles of the car and I've also tried resetting the infotainment (holding the buttons for 10 seconds).

Anyone else having the same issue, and/or aware of any fixes? Thanks

·
Registered
116 Posts
I am so frustrated with Carplay I could scream. Before OS 13.x it would only connect one in ten times. Then I had a revelation. Rented a small Ford on a trip to the East Coast and Carplay worked perfectly every time. Back home and just took a long trip south and my Apple maps was stuck on the east coast, the White Mountains of New Hampshire. It would not auto locate. Finally I realized that If I made the map small I could scroll over to the west coast. But it took about five times for it to “stick” as it kept bouncing back to the New Hampshire. Now it stays put, but I drive off the map as the auto locate or scrolling still does not work. I have to use the arrows and hunt for my location.

I have to say since using Carplay with no problem in different brand it is Chevy problem. I once had salesman admit to me that it did not work better in other GM models. On this trip my friend had an Android phone which he used brilliantly for navigation. Speech commands were simple and it even reported speed traps and accidents as drivers ahead could report in. Android OS is light years ahead of Apple I am sorry to say. I think the answer to our problems is to switch phones. You would think Apple would vet its customers (Chevy) better since it is there name on the product. Don’t expect a solution from Chevrolet, it is hopeless.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Out of curiosity, what streaming / music service/s do you run that creates the issue? Or is it across all services (i.e., any type of audio would cut off)? Never ran into this issue since the update. Granted, Amazon Music has always been a pain (even pre-update), but both Spotify and iTunes work seamlessly after the iOS 13 update.

·
Registered
255 Posts
CP works perfectly for me in my '17, as long as I don't have the VPN enabled. Then it really is terrible, sometimes won't connect, drops etc. 13.1.3 on iPhone 8+.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I only had issues with CarPlay when my nephew plugged in his phone shortly after I plugged in my iPhone X; seems the car got confused and I needed to do a basic power cycle (turn car off and on again) to sort it out. I've seen a couple entertainment center crashes, but on both my previous '17 Bolt and my new '19 it works almost flawlessly. iOS 12/iOS 13 betas/iOS 13 release.

·
Registered
382 Posts
2018 Bolt Premier. CarPlay on iPhone X, XS, and 11 Pro working without issues throughout all iterations of iOS from 12.0 to 13.2 (in case of 11 Pro, from 13.0).

That being said, CarPlay issues can arise from either cables, Bluetooth configuration (despite CP being wired), or the car's USB port / infotainment stack. It's a hassle to diagnose.

·
Registered
278 Posts
^^^
And the usage of VPN clients.
I am so frustrated with Carplay I could scream. Before OS 13.x it would only connect one in ten times. Then I had a revelation. Rented a small Ford on a trip to the East Coast and Carplay worked perfectly every time. Back home and just took a long trip south and my Apple maps was stuck on the east coast, the White Mountains of New Hampshire. It would not auto locate. Finally I realized that If I made the map small I could scroll over to the west coast. But it took about five times for it to “stick” as it kept bouncing back to the New Hampshire. Now it stays put, but I drive off the map as the auto locate or scrolling still does not work. I have to use the arrows and hunt for my location.

I have to say since using Carplay with no problem in different brand it is Chevy problem. I once had salesman admit to me that it did not work better in other GM models.
Don’t expect a solution from Chevrolet, it is hopeless.
I'm new to GM vehicles w/CarPlay and I'm still on iOS 12.4.x. I've only used my iOS 12.x iPhone 8 w/CarPlay on my '19 Bolt and don't have any sort of connection problems that you describe.

CarPlay works pretty well w/my Bolt and I use it every day I drive the vehicle which is usually 4 or 5 days/week. CarPlay enabled apps I tend to use include Waze, Apple Maps, Google Maps, Overcast, Pandora and Spotify. The last two are kinda flaky and buggy but I have no connection problems.

I recently had two rental cars w/CarPlay: a '19 Altima and an '18 Elantra. The CarPlay functionality itself worked just as well as w/my Bolt except they had smaller LCDs so UI elements like on mapping apps took up way more real estate than Bolt's screen. Also had no reliability nor functionality problems. I had the Altima for quite a few days and had to do a lot of driving in it, somewhere past 300 or 400 miles.

If you aren't using a quality genuine Made for i (certified) cable and are using a VPN client, those are likely sources of your problems. You may also on the phone want to do a reset all network settings on your phone, for good measure.

If you're still having some location prob, my wild guess is some GPS location prob on your Bolt. Someone else in another forum was having trouble where his map location was way off if he plugged into his (non-GM) car w/CarPlay but fine if he unplugged. It's probably due to what I found in the transcript at https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2016/722/#.
Sensor information is important to CarPlay. CarPlay needs location information from the vehicle so that the map's app works well.

Speed and GNSS information can be provided. Every vehicle needs to know its speed. Speed information is used by iPhone for dead reckoning and is critical if the vehicle does not have a GPS or GLONASS receiver. GNSS information includes latitude and longitude if the vehicle has that capability. Satellite location information from the vehicle is used in addition to the iPhone's sensors to determine the location of the user. This data from the vehicle may be better since a larger antenna can be integrated into the car.

This is the recommended configuration since it will result in the best maps user experience. Sending satellite location information to iPhone is required if the vehicle has the technology on board. GNSS information is also required for any system supporting wireless CarPlay since it's more likely that the phone will be in a pocket, bag, or somewhere where the phone itself has poor reception.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a 2017 Bolt Premier and an iPhone 7. I have used CarPlay with iOS 12 and iOS 13 (including every update since 13.0 came out) and I have not had any problems with any version. I primarily use CarPlay with Apple Maps and spoken directions, and with podcasts. This info doesn't help the OP but I wanted to point out that there's nothing endemic to iOS 13 that always prevents CarPlay from functioning normally.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've always been an Android user until I bought my first iPhone [11] a couple weeks ago. It's on iOS 13.2 and working almost flawlessly with my 2019 Bolt. I'm using a 3rd party cable. I have just a couple complaints... Waze shortcuts don't work with iOS 13 (known bug), I have Waze set to make an audible alert if I go 10 miles over the speed limit but it does it as soon as I got the speed limit, and whenever I get a Waze or Google Maps alert and it pauses PocketCasts I end up missing a few words while the audio fades up and down.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts