Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like my Carplay/Apple Maps to show the surrounding charging stations as I drive through an area, or if I start to search for them.
Unfortunately, when I ask Siri, she only shows a list. That makes it difficult to see if they are upcoming or behind me.
When I use my iPhone, launch Maps, search for Charging Stations, it shows a visual map with all the stations pinpointed.
How do I get a visual like this using Carplay/Maps?

P.S. Has anyone tried taking screen shots of their Carplay app running?

·
Registered
739 Posts
I use Plugshare software. It works great. I have to put the address of each charger into Google maps so that I can plan my journey. Long journeys with a Bolt EV require planning, planning, planning. Once you have the plans, its nothing but pleasure. You can't do it on the fly, although "it would be nice", but I am sure that will come in due course, just like we can see gas stations in our navs.

·
Registered
544 Posts
The App in carplay is not the same app you see on your phone. App developers have to actually build a version of their App specific to Carplay, same as they would for the Apple Watch. This holds true for the delivered Apple Apps as well. So you should submit feedback to Apple directly about Apple maps asking for those features to be put into the Carplay version of Apple Maps.

Apple Maps iOS feedback page

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
I use Plugshare software. It works great. I have to put the address of each charger into Google maps so that I can plan my journey.
How exactly do you do that? Every time I try to put a custom location into Google Maps it ends up being labelled as useless lat/long coordinates, and when try to somehow attach a meaningful name to it I get lost in a sea of "Labelled" vs. "Saved" vs. "Favourites" vs. "Starred"...

What I'd really like is an Android Auto version of PlugShare with navigation capabilities...

·
Registered
334 Posts
How exactly do you do that? Every time I try to put a custom location into Google Maps it ends up being labelled as useless lat/long coordinates, and when try to somehow attach a meaningful name to it I get lost in a sea of "Labelled" vs. "Saved" vs. "Favourites" vs. "Starred"...

What I'd really like is an Android Auto version of PlugShare with navigation capabilities...
Try using Waze. It lets you put in favorites before you start your trip. Then you can call them up during the journey. Also, Waze will tell you where the cops are.

And yes, an AA version of PlugShare would be awesome.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Although it does not project to screen, the myChevrolet app has an interesting feature. Under “Energy Assist” press the icon of an EV in a circle. This shows your (real time) range as a “lighted area” on a map with your current location in the center, and a “dashed line” out-and-return range. Press the lightning bolt icon to see charging stations. Press both to superimpose. Press the spyglass to enter a destination. Press “Create Route” and it shows you where you can (should) stop AND for how long you need to charge to get to the destination. Very cool features!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Although it does not project to screen, the myChevrolet app has an interesting feature. Under “Energy Assist” press the icon of an EV in a circle. This shows your (real time) range as a “lighted area” on a map with your current location in the center, and a “dashed line” out-and-return range. Press the lightning bolt icon to see charging stations. Press both to superimpose. Press the spyglass to enter a destination. Press “Create Route” and it shows you where you can (should) stop AND for how long you need to charge to get to the destination. Very cool features!
Bloody heck I can't believe I never used this before or checked it out! This is a sweet little feature in the app, hot diggity dog!

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Bloody heck I can't believe I never used this before or checked it out! This is a sweet little feature in the app, hot diggity dog!
I think it DOES send to the infotainment screen. Once you “Create Route”, and touch the Start location “>” icon, choose “Open in Maps” at the bottom. Then touch “DIRECTIONS” and “START”. Open Android Auto and project to the screen. I will try it on a drive today. I hope others will, and see if it works, or if snags persist. Report back (or someone start a new “Plan Your Route” thread.)

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just plugged my phone in and went to 'find a destiation' and the second icon across the top was a plug and it shows me nearby charging stations. I don't know if Plugshare added that as I have that app installed, but you might look again. This is the visual destination search, not the voice search.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Does this only list ChargePoint stations? I think I remember hearing something like that.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Does this only list ChargePoint stations? I think I remember hearing something like that.

My original post was 12/18/17 and things may have changed since then, but I don't think only ChargePoint stations are listed. It does say (when you activate the "lightning bolt" to 'Find a Charging Station'): "Map and charging station information is provided by a third party ...". When I try it today (2/8), the charging stations it shows are NOT ChargePoint. [Today, for some reason, yet to be determined, the map is not overlaying in the display, but my location is accurate, the range "glow spot and line" do show up, and 6 or 7 charging stations within the range are displayed.] Still investigating this, Mr. Watson!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
My original post was 12/18/17 and things may have changed since then, but I don't think only ChargePoint stations are listed. It does say (when you activate the "lightning bolt" to 'Find a Charging Station'): "Map and charging station information is provided by a third party ...". When I try it today (2/8), the charging stations it shows are NOT ChargePoint. [Today, for some reason, yet to be determined, the map is not overlaying in the display, but my location is accurate, the range "glow spot and line" do show up, and 6 or 7 charging stations within the range are displayed.] Still investigating this, Mr. Watson!
I played with this some today at lunch (while my car was charging on a Greenlots charger) and found that the charger I was using didn't show up on the map. A bunch of chargers did show up and I'm not 100% sure because the myChevrolet app doesn't list a provider for the charge stations listed but the handful of ones I checked against the PlugShare map were all ChargePoint stations. I did check a couple Greenlots chargers and one EVGo charger and none showed up in the myChevrolet map.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts