Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm on day four of driving my Bolt Premiere and I love it. Problem arose today and I can't figure it out:

Normally as soon as I plug in my iPhone 6s, it starts CarPlay and goes to whatever I was listening to last. Today, it connected, but as an iPod. And the phone functionality didn't work. So I did the usual - restarted everything. After a few more restarts, voila, CarPlay again.

Until a few hours later, and it went back to iPod mode.

Anyone else find this to be the case? I'll try again tomorrow with a different lightning to USB cord but I'm skeptical that'll work.

CarPlay is so awesome, I really want it to be automatic and am bummed it's not working as advertised.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Do you have any other devices connecting via USB or via Bluetooth? What version of the OS are you running? I also have an iPhone 6s and I'm running 10.3.1 and I don't have any of the same issues.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We just had the infotainment screen swapped out because it was freezing so often. The new screen has this same issue:. The phone connects ads an iPod and Apple Care Play will not come up.

No idea what to do.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
We just had the infotainment screen swapped out because it was freezing so often. The new screen has this same issue:. The phone connects ads an iPod and Apple Care Play will not come up.

No idea what to do.
Welcome to the forum. I've never (okay, maybe once) hooked up a phone to my Bolt via USB as I don't have android or apple. Have only had a hand full of infotainment freezes in 2 1/2 years of ownership. I'm just speculating that a lot of freezes others are having is from their phones being plugged in. And it seems from reports on this forum that the cable is typically the problem.

Other than the usual advice: restart or reboot, turn off/on, remove/add device, uninstall/reinstall. I can't be of much help.

·
Registered
690 Posts
When I first got my Bolt I had horrible CarPlay issues. I called Apple and they had me wipe the phone and reinstall the OS. I do not remember the steps but it worked. Of course backups in the Cloud and desktop help sync the phone. I know, this is very scary but my phone is 99.9% CarPlay ready now. Not my fault if you brick your phone.

·
Registered
568 Posts
When my Bolt was new a few months ago,I had a question, not a problem. I found there was a dedicated numberer, or so I was told, to deal with Infotainment issues. They talked me through my 2 questions in no time. It was 855 478 7767.

Reactions: Henk

·
Registered
2 Posts
When my Bolt was new a few months ago,I had a question, not a problem. I found there was a dedicated numberer, or so I was told, to deal with Infotainment issues. The talked me through my 2 questions in no time. It was 855 478 7767.
Thank you. I'll give them a call before seeing my phone!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thank you. I'll give them a call before seeing my phone!
I have a iPhone6 but it looks like MyChevrolet needs IOS 13.0 and that is only available on iPhone6S and newer. It was working for several month, but now it is intermittent. I want to use it for WAZE (my internet GPS) which should not need the MyChevrolet app. I may call that number as well.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt EV
34 Posts

No idea what to do.
Having this same issue.
Got the Bolt in September 2020 and I always used my iPhone to connect via USB and it worked golden. It would display maps and if a call came in I could immediately talk through the car. But since March when I plug the USB cable into my phone it only connects as an “iPod” and plays seemingly random music and interrupts the radio, causing me to have to adjust the source every time I plug in the phone even just to charge it.

I have not changed the USB cord Which was working properly earlier.
How do I get this back to proper CarPlay?

I have an iPhone 12 that’s fully updated.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Is CarPlay disabled on the car side? Maybe you can go to Settings > General > CarPlay ? myChevrolet on the phone and try doing Forget This Car?

Do you have another genuine Apple Lightning to USB cable or quality MFi certified cable?

How about rebooting the phone?

·
Registered
2020 Bolt EV
34 Posts
I’ve tried both the re-booting of the phone (many times) and the “Forget this car” trick but it does the same strange “iPod” mode every time I connect it to the usb charger.

haven’t tried the genuine Apple cable yet.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
You should. Some 3rd-party cables, esp ones not MFi certified are garbage and a waste of time.

Again, on the car side, CarPlay and Android Auto can be turned on or off.

Also, if you're using a VPN client, try turn it off or removing it. There are numerous reports that VPN clients can cause CarPlay problems and I have hypotheses as to why.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I’ve tried both the re-booting of the phone (many times) and the “Forget this car” trick but it does the same strange “iPod” mode every time I connect it to the USB charger.
I have had numerous problems with CarPlay on an iPhone. Although I cannot be sure, according to GM documents any iPhone5 or newer should work, but to get the latest OS updates you need iPhone6S or newer, but those updates did not make a difference with me, those updates mainly solved security items unrelated to CarPlay.
I tried numerous ways to restart CarPlay:
Stopping the Bolt and restart iPhone as well,
Changing USB cables.
Turning WiFi OFF in Bolt
Turning ApplePlay OF and ON in Bolt, etc.
Any of the above did sometimes work, but never always and never for very long.
GM finally replaced the Infotainment box ($3500!) and so far it seems to work much better. I still have needed to Reboot (Home&FF) but that now has worked every time and presently it has worked for almost a whole week.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts