Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a bass player with 20 years of semi-professional experience. I came to the Bolt from a Mazda Protege, a small car, but with sufficient room in the passenger seat to haul my bass safely: you lower the seat back all the way and the bass reclines in the seat with the seat belt fastened around it. In the Bolt, the cut of the dashboard prevents the bass from using the under dash space, the seat is too narrow so that the seat belt, though fully extended, does not reach the clasp, and the door will not close unless the bass is resting on the gear shift making it unsafe to drive. I am forced to tie the seat belt onto one of the handles on the bass case but it twists laterally when I turn. Of course, I can lower the back seat backs and put it through the rear hatch but then the scroll and neck must extend between the front seats and the scroll rests very near the shift. I realize that this is of no interest to anyone but bass players, but I thought my colleagues might wish to know.

·
Registered
10,203 Posts
I am a bass player with 20 years of semi-professional experience. I came to the Bolt from a Mazda Protege, a small car, but with sufficient room in the passenger seat to haul my bass safely: you lower the seat back all the way and the bass reclines in the seat with the seat belt fastened around it. In the Bolt, the cut of the dashboard prevents the bass from using the under dash space, the seat is too narrow so that the seat belt, though fully extended, does not reach the clasp, and the door will not close unless the bass is resting on the gear shift making it unsafe to drive. I am forced to tie the seat belt onto one of the handles on the bass case but it twists laterally when I turn. Of course, I can lower the back seat backs and put it through the rear hatch but then the scroll and neck must extend between the front seats and the scroll rests very near the shift. I realize that this is of no interest to anyone but bass players, but I thought my colleagues might wish to know.
Would it help to put the neck end in the footwell? Can you put the case in the seat, edge up, rather than flat?

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
Took me several days to figure out how to store my golf clubs. Maybe there's still an optimal solution that you haven't thought of yet. Would love to see pictures of the bass sitting in there.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I own the Bolt and love it. It's 3/4 bass and putting it on its side would make it more unstable while driving. Neck end in footwell would be dangerous to the bass if it could fit that way with the fat heavy end towards the back.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Daughters 3/4 fits w/seat belt and the scroll never touches the floor :: per this video (I take it you have probably already seen it):

·
Registered
1,380 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks, much for the heads up. I was planning to our Bolt to transport my son's bass to the Luthier tomorrow. My working assumption has always been that the bass will fit in the passenger seat of any vehicle, but I did a search to confirm, and found your post. Will take my pickup instead, no sense taking the risk with the Bolt.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.