Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

This is a combination introduction and question thread.

My wife loves my current daily driver (Blue 2016 Volt) and didn't know why I wanted to get a Bolt, after basically having to force her to go to a Chevy Dealership to see and test out a Bolt, I no longer have a choice... we WILL be getting a Bolt! :)

I now live in rural Arkansas where the nearest CCS charger (according to plugshare) is 218 miles North of me with the two next closest being 266 miles to the East, and 305 miles to the West, with literally no CCS chargers to the south of me.

Until now I was one of those people saying "what kind of idiot would get a Bolt without the CCS port?" but seeing my current options I have to say that other than resale value I don't think I would ever get a chance to use it.

So, unless there is a boom of CCS charging station installations in the very center of fly over country, does it make sense for me to spend the extra $$$ for the port?

Also, is plugshare up to date on CCS station availability?

My second question: With good weather and an average speed of 60 mph (not sure what peak mph would be) could I make a 210 mile road trip with a 500 foot elevation rise?

Thanks,

Keith

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
Welcome. Many of us are hoping electrify America pans out so we'll have more CCS stations throughout the US. Getting the fast charge port will future proof your Bolt if you ever get a chance to use it. It's a $750 option. I ordered my Bolt with it and have never used a fast charger. Heck, I've never seen one. Have had to use my old ICE powered van for one trip so far because of the lack of the fast charge infrastructure in my neck of the woods. But, resale as you mentioned is also a concern. If and when there's infrastructure then it would be great thing to have. I check Plugshare all the time and it seems to get updated on a regular basis. Just watch Tesla's superchargers show up like hotcakes.

There's a recent thread where speed and distance relationships are posted. 210 miles in the conditions you stated should be doable.

http://www.chevybolt.org/forum/9-20...on-forum/5866-speed-vs-energy-efficiency.html

·
Registered
13 Posts
A couple of thoughts...I echo xj12 to say get the CCS option. We’ve used it once (in Raleigh NC) in 4 months we’ve had the Bolt, but nice to have. I do think we’ll see more CCS buildout, but I’m concerned it will be slow.

Re: the range, temperature has a big effect. Warm weather, you got 300 miles. Cold? 200 miles. Combination of cabin heat (optional ��) and battery performance. We live in coastal NC, so warmer than a lot of places, so EVs work well.

Plugshare data seems to be pretty good to me, tho some car dealerships seem to be better about registering than others. CCS stations are pretty accurate best I can tell. I’ve also registered my JuiceBox on Plugshare, a good thing in my area where we don’t have a lot of charging stations...

-Joel

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Even for resale value, I'd go for the CCS port. Sure you probably won't use it in the next 2-3 years, but if you're keeping the car there is a chance you'll have more CCS stations pop up near you.

Your call, however. It is $750 you won't get to enjoy with any certainty.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
A couple of thoughts...I echo xj12 to say get the CCS option. We’ve used it once (in Raleigh NC) in 4 months we’ve had the Bolt, but nice to have. I do think we’ll see more CCS buildout, but I’m concerned it will be slow.

Re: the range, temperature has a big effect. Warm weather, you got 300 miles. Cold? 200 miles. Combination of cabin heat (optional ��) and battery performance. We live in coastal NC, so warmer than a lot of places, so EVs work well.

Plugshare data seems to be pretty good to me, tho some car dealerships seem to be better about registering than others. CCS stations are pretty accurate best I can tell. I’ve also registered my JuiceBox on Plugshare, a good thing in my area where we don’t have a lot of charging stations...

-Joel
Yeah, if I don't get it I am locking myself into a position where I can never take a road trip in the Bolt even if a CCS station is built within reasonable range. On the other hand it does make the low priced left over 2017's (many of which are left over due to lack of CCS port) more of an option. I can get a new 2017 primer for 37,000 in the color I want, I think I could skip the CCS port if that is the reason it didn't sell... but if it has the port that is a bonus! Most on line advertisements do a poor job with features on a Bolt. The one I am looking at on line is loaded with every other feature (Bose = infotainment package, intelibeam headlights = driver confidence II package), so a CCS port would not surprise me... but being in an area with zero CCS charging stations, it not having a CCS port would also not surprise me. It sucks that I need to wait a month since I am in the process of purchasing a house at the moment and I don't want this one to slip away from me.

There is not much market for them here, my only fear is it being sold as a dealership trade somewhere else in the country.

On the range issue, is 300 miles really achievable at highway speeds (60 to 70 mph) in summer weather?

And the beauty of "Electrify America"... it should have been called "over-electrify California"... the majority of the funding is going to put more charging infrastructure into a market that is comparatively loaded with EV charging stations and leaving us fly over states out in the cold... and then they will talk about our "slow adoption" of EV's.... while pumping money into encouraging EV's in coastal states.

One last question, is the birds-eye view and rear view camera mirror standard on the Premier and unavailable on the LT?

Thanks,

Keith

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
On the range issue, is 300 miles really achievable at highway speeds (60 to 70 mph) in summer weather?
It depends on how slow you're willing to drive. I'd say you'd need to drive 50 mph to get 300 miles of range.

And the beauty of "Electrify America"... it should have been called "over-electrify California"... the majority of the funding is going to put more charging infrastructure into a market that is comparatively loaded with EV charging stations and leaving us fly over states out in the cold... and then they will talk about our "slow adoption" of EV's.... while pumping money into encouraging EV's in coastal states.
Well, looking at their map will be putting a DC charging station in Little Rock, and on I-30 to connect to Fort Worth, TX, and on I-40 to connect to Mephis, TN.

One last question, is the birds-eye view and rear view camera mirror standard on the Premier and unavailable on the LT?
Yes.

Overall, I think the thing to remember is that you'll probably have the car a few years at least. Even one year out, the DC fast charging situation will be looking a lot better. In think we're already crossing a tipping point in lots of places beyond California. From PlugShare, we see there are lots of EV drivers in Fort Worth. Some of them are going to be looking to do road trips, too.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV Ioniq 5 reservation
1,731 Posts
Whether you finance for 60 months or 36 months, the monthly payment increase is (after even a minimal down payment) around $20. I, too, live in a DCFC wasteland. The nearest ones are 175, 226, and 340 miles. Despite this, I have made 8 trips where DCFC was a must. Think of it this way: even ONE DCFC, at around the 200 mile mark in the direction you most frequently travel > that distance (Memphis, TN?), will open up vast new areas where DCFC makes travel easy.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna LE AWD "Mr. Sparkollz"
1,265 Posts
In my Bolt, the DC fast charger was <$800.00. Wasn't even a question for me, even though I was getting the Bolt for (typically) <150 mi day trips.

If you lease the Bolt, you'll have it for at least 3 years. In 3 years, many things can, and likely will change, including the number of public fast chargers :)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Whether you finance for 60 months or 36 months, the monthly payment increase is (after even a minimal down payment) around $20. I, too, live in a DCFC wasteland. The nearest ones are 175, 226, and 340 miles. Despite this, I have made 8 trips where DCFC was a must. Think of it this way: even ONE DCFC, at around the 200 mile mark in the direction you most frequently travel > that distance (Memphis, TN?), will open up vast new areas where DCFC makes travel easy.
Congratulations. According to the linked map you will still be in a DCFC waste land after Electrify America does their thing. Maybe West Virginia and eastern Kentucky can work together to install some coal fired DCFC's. I'm just bitter because I will likely need to rent an ICE again within a month to drive from Virginia to St. Louis. Ah well, overall getting to drive the Bolt daily is worth it.

Ron

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Trying to guess what value options will add at resale/trade-in is moot. Buy the car you want and sell/trade when it no longer meets your needs.

FWIW, over the past fifty years, I've bought and sold way too many cars. Some were top-of-the-line and some more basic. Some, I, or the previous owners had added luggage/ski/bike racks, winter tires and wheels, appearance add-ons (not to everyone's taste) and performance parts (usually de-values the car, in the concern it has been run harder) When it all added up, the re-sale value was always in years/miles/condition. All the rest was essentially ant-****.

Many times, when I was selling a car or trading it in, the individual buyer or the dealer wouldn't even take the racks or winter tires or spare parts, much less pay anything extra for them.

FWIW, it will be a while before any but the extreme sport EV owners consider EVs a road trip car. Here in the frozen intermountain west, it's not even a remote possibility, so I didn't worry the in-stock Premier we bought didn't have DC charging capability.

jack vines

·
Registered
607 Posts
Get the DCFC. You'll be glad you did.

The first time I ever charged my Bolt was on a DCFC. I had to buy it from so far away that it was a necessity just to get it home. I had never even used an L2 or L1 before. But that's off topic.

Don't let anyone tell you that you'll get 300 miles. That's a rare event left to hyper-miling YouTube videos. But 200 miles is pretty easy in non-winter conditions.

I was thrilled to see the Electify America map that someone posted a link to. The build out can't come soon enough.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I am also in a Bolt/Volt house!
I agree with the general sense that getting the rapid charger option is a great peace of mind, and within a few years should have more options available as well. That was my rationale for choosing a Bolt with fast charger over one with more features.
I did take one extended trip where the DCFC charger was 175 mi from home. Got there on fumes(?), not having been keenly aware how much a difference 60 mph is from 75-80 mph on a highway. There also was at least a 1000 vertical rise.
On the return trip, I was not at full charge (DCFC charging rate above 80% is very throttled), but made it home easily with an average speed of 65 mph.

FWIW, we did take a roadtrip in our Volt, which I got to feel mildly righteous about using 180 miles of electric charge (between home, hotels and sister's plug).

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Congratulations. According to the linked map you will still be in a DCFC waste land after Electrify America does their thing. Maybe West Virginia and eastern Kentucky can work together to install some coal fired DCFC's. I'm just bitter because I will likely need to rent an ICE again within a month to drive from Virginia to St. Louis. Ah well, overall getting to drive the Bolt daily is worth it.

Ron

I am not waiting for Electrify America but am working with a major petroleum fuel chain to install 4 (profitable) CCS-SAE/CHAdeMO DCFC stations in our State. We want EV drivers from Ohio, Pennsylvania, Kentucky, Virginia, Tennessee, and North Carolina (as well as West Virginia) to be able to cross our State with ease. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I am not waiting for Electrify America but am working with a major petroleum fuel chain to install 4 (profitable) CCS-SAE/CHAdeMO DCFC stations in our State. We want EV drivers from Ohio, Pennsylvania, Kentucky, Virginia, Tennessee, and North Carolina (as well as West Virginia) to be able to cross our State with ease. Wish me luck.
Shell?

·
Registered
318 Posts
I saw a few lower priced Bolts before I bought mine, they were used cars, I was tempted to buy one of them.

I believe the reason they were being sold in the high 20's was because they all had no fast charge.

In a few years maybe 5, I do believe if you have a Bolt without DCFC its going to be harder to sell.

The gas crowd isn't going to be in Washington forever, electric is on its way up around the world, even though it isn't here right now it will be.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I am not free to disclose the company just yet, but since it will most likely be the FIRST Combo plug DCFC in the State, I am guessing they will market that fact to the utmost. They may reject the plan, and allow some other company to be the "Neil Armstrong" of non-Tesla EV rapid-charging stations in WV. And they may place just one station and not the four locations for which I hope!

1 - 20 of 78 Posts