Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen screen shots of others' Torque Pro displays showing cell 16 and 70 voltages, presumably the highest and lowest voltages.

My car has cell 16 and 70 as the highest and lowest voltages. Is it most common for these specific cells to have the highest and lowest voltages?

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
I have seen screen shots of others' Torque Pro displays showing cell 16 and 70 voltages, presumably the highest and lowest voltages.

My car has cell 16 and 70 as the highest and lowest voltages. Is it most common for these specific cells to have the highest and lowest voltages?
All of the shots you have seen are from our personal Bolt. I am surprised, and fascinated to learn that the same cells are effected in another Bolt. It would suggest something other than random chance, which has been my assumption.

·
Registered
675 Posts

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Turns out that the location where those cells were were hotter then the rest of the area the battery was in.
Yeah. That was the first thing I wondered about with our Bolt. The warmest modules are typically 5 and 6, since they sit on top of the rest of the pack, under the rear seat. Of those two, module 6 is usually the warmest. My assumption is that this is caused by the BMS or BECM sitting on top of it. Unfortunately, none of my 10 weakest cells are in either of these two modules. But they are all directly in series, in two different modules, in two different sections.

·
Registered
294 Posts
For me, cells 9 - 16 are consistently higher than the avg., and cells 66 - 72 are consistently lower than the average. This was sitting in a parking lot after driving to work (beginning with 100% SoC).

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
For me, cells 9 - 16 are consistently higher than the avg., and cells 66 - 72 are consistently lower than the average. This was sitting in a parking lot after driving to work (beginning with 100% SoC.)

I was mis-remembering. I should have said my 8 lowest cells. I just went out to check. My highest cells are 9,10, 11, 16. My lowest are 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72.

From our sample of three Bolts, there could be a pattern.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
For comparison, here is a screen shot of a Tesla Model 3 battery from a wreck, taken from the latest EVTV video. This pack sits at 45% SoC, and the maximum cell voltage spread is 0.010 volts. This is what you will see for every Tesla I have seen data for. Anybody still think Tesla has competition? lol.

1579710817845.png

·
Registered
294 Posts
I am certainly not an expert by any means, but I'm guessing it's probably easier to reduce manufacturing deviations in smaller cylindrical cells compared to larger pouch cells. Maybe one of the reasons Tesla went with that design.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
I am certainly not an expert by any means, but I'm guessing it's probably easier to reduce manufacturing deviations in smaller cylindrical cells compared to larger pouch cells. Maybe one of the reasons Tesla went with that design.
It's serendipity. Elon has said they went with the design because they were already available in quantity, and cheaper. They got lots of flack for this. I read an article by a engineer at a government battery research lab, who laid out why it didn't make sense to build a huge battery from such small cells. His reasoning made perfect sense. I mean, "Who would build an elephant out of billions of microscopic cells?"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts