Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Premier
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found a modification that works well with a 21 Bolt? I think I want one for this vehicle since I am the KING of regen braking and keep forgetting to use the brake once I have stopped......(looking nervously in mirrors)

Suggestions anyone?

Thanks everyone! I love this forum!

Randy

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
204 Posts
Has anyone found a modification that works well with a 21 Bolt? I think I want one for this vehicle since I am the KING of regen braking and keep forgetting to use the brake once I have stopped......(looking nervously in mirrors)

Suggestions anyone?

Thanks everyone! I love this forum!

Randy
Saw this thread the other day:

Not sure if it will do what you want (keep brake lights on while stopped in L mode), but it might be enough to get the attention of the car behind you.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier Cajun Red Tintcoat
39 Posts
Is it legal in your state, and surrounding states? I find colored parking lights and strobing markers to be distracting and annoying. Plus, they mimic police and volunteer firefighter lighting effects that are, generally, legal.

·
Registered
2021 Premier
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is it legal in your state, and surrounding states? I find colored parking lights and strobing markers to be distracting and annoying. Plus, they mimic police and volunteer firefighter lighting effects that are, generally, legal.
Hi Obs: I have the same car! Yes they are legal, as they are on the rear of the car, and usually on flash a set number of times before returning to a steady lighted condition. The ones I have seen so far on the road typically flash two to 4 times tops, and then go steady. I was a volunteer fireman for a couple of years, and the difference is when you have any red or blue lights flashing on the front. THAT is reserved for emergency service vehicles.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I find it pointless... I mean, sure, it brings some attention, but when you stopped, you are stopped.
What about driving MT car? I am stopped and if the car is not rolling I do not hold the brake pedal. It does not bring any safety for me, because if the driver behind me cannot see stopped traffic, no brake lights will help. Pulsating lights are incredibly annoying and confusing.
Some manufacturers introduce them, but in conjunction with hazard lights, which are AMBER and separate from brake lights everywhere else, but USA, and those would start pulsating in case of emergency braking. That I find helpful for distant driver on a highway traffic. A place where you do not expect sudden stoppage.

So, why the center would be confusing? Because it takes my attention from everything else. I am thinking - is he really slowing down or just touched the brakes, is he running brakes and his foot just comes on and off the pedal, is it an emergency vehicle, is he suddenly braking... and all those concerns must be answered before making educated decision. And all of this is happening while other things are happening around, to which I am not paying attention yet.

Maybe have everyone to put their phones away, disable infotainment systems when in motion - take all the distractions away from the driver.
Would you be OK with a bus driver taking your kids to school to have coffee in one hand, while looking for Sirius station or reading very urgent email about deals at Kohls?

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
I find it pointless... I mean, sure, it brings some attention, but when you stopped, you are stopped.
What about driving MT car? I am stopped and if the car is not rolling I do not hold the brake pedal. It does not bring any safety for me, because if the driver behind me cannot see stopped traffic, no brake lights will help.
I drive in "L" mode exclusively and generally leave my foot off the brake pedal when I'm stopped, but I also keep an eye on the rear view mirror for anyone who looks like they might not be paying attention. I actually like the fact that the brake lights are off, because it means I can put my foot on the brake pedal to make them come on to try to get the attention of someone behind me, or even pump the pedal if that seems to fail. Having them strobe for a second when they first come on is an even better attention-getter.

Getting the attention of the guy behind you is especially important in slippery, icy conditions when your confidence in everyone's ability to stop is at its lowest.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts