Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hidden USB Hub and Center Console Removal

Like other I want to clean up the center console form cables specially if the phone is mounted high on the dash and connected to the Android Auto or Apple Carplay. As the connector on the back of the dual USB ports is a normal Male Mini USB. It should be possible to plug it into a USB Hub and hardwire a couple of USB to Lightning and USB to USB-C Wires going to the front while still getting the center USB ports free, accessible and functional.

And guess what, it works! I got 2 USB cables hardwired (one USB-C for Android and one Apple Lighting) and the center 2 Stock USB free and functional, I plugged by small USB stick in there and it is recognized. I got the wires to come out of the front pocket, that's convenient to store the unused cable!

Here the parts that I used:
USB Hub: [ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N8VSKLY[/ame]
USB Adaptors Pack: [ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O519I9E[/ame]

Now for the how to: (Click on a picture for a larger version, I'm limited to 25 pictures per post access the rest of the album here: https://imgur.com/a/xbtdo)

- To remove the shifter cover, undo clips on the outer edge, then pull the cover strait up, look at the pic there is a channel at the bottom. Then remove the metal clip, then pull the whole lever assembly:

- 3 Clips hold the shifter plate, there is also a connector for the parking button to undo:

- Remove the screw at the bottom of the wireless charging pit:

- Remove the Center Console Middle Frame (4 clips 3 connectors)

- View of the Mini USB port and the Wireless charging part:

- Remove the Front Pocket (2 clips on top):

- Drill a hole at the bottom of the front pocket:

- Route your USB Cables trough the hole (one Android and one Apple in my case). I added a "stop" to keep the cables from being pulled.

- I wrapped the cables in electrical tape for easier routing (See my "helper" on lower right)

- Undo the top clip and the lower screw on the right side panel. Route the wires from the top there is plenty of space. Get the wire all the way to the back, and then pull back the wire, make sure to route behind the clip and screw mount along the way

- Tuck the wire under the front console. Remove the 4 screws (2 in the front and 2 in the rear) to free the whole center console, just slightly lift the front to be able to pass the wires through, fish the wires in the center console!

- Plug everything back (Car miniUSB to the miniUSB to USB adapter then into the USB Hub. from the Hub, 1 Android Wire, 1 Apple Wire and 1 USB to mini USB adapter to plug back into the stock 2 port USB, tape the connections together so they do not vibrate themselves out and zip-tie everything so there is not rattles down the road.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Pure gold. Many thanks!

Any concern with the amount of power available from the one mini USB? Especially when you indeed use two or three ports at once?
Have you looked at possibility to use a powered hub?
No issues so far, The phone charges while doing Android Auto and my USB stick is powered simultaneously.

That, indeed, looks like a direct fit for the car mini USB harness. Careful they mention USB 1.1, which is way too old and too slow for our application, my Hub is USB 3.0.

·
Registered
390 Posts
That, indeed, looks like a direct fit for the car mini USB harness. Careful they mention USB 1.1, which is way too old and too slow for our application, my Hub is USB 3.0.
Yeah, I saw that about being 1.1 after posting it here. But I choose not to remove the post as it would still allow you to confirm the form factor. Many thanks for the confirmation. And the warning.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Just to make sure I understand correctly, you added a short USB A Male - USB Mini Female cable to it, to connect the hub to the dual USB connector of the car? This cable was not part of the two Amazon products, was it?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just to make sure I understand correctly, you added a short USB A Male - USB Mini Female cable to it, to connect the hub to the dual USB connector of the car? This cable was not part of the two Amazon products, was it?
Yes, that is right; albeit there is the required part in the Amazon package, I used a short (Blackberry!) cable that I had laying around, because it was easier to connect inside the console, the cable give some slack and I was able the zip tie everything into a single bundle and stuff it on the right side, inside the console.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Always a pleasure when timeToy starts a thread. You know it's going to deliver.

Reactions: Sean Nelson

·
Registered
624 Posts
Great work and great turorial... was thinking about pulling the venter console apart to get to the wireless charging circuitry. Did you happen to see how accessible that was? Might be worth swapping out the cool for a functional one.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Yes, that is right; albeit there is the required part in the Amazon package, I used a short (Blackberry!) cable that I had laying around, because it was easier to connect inside the console, the cable give some slack and I was able the zip tie everything into a single bundle and stuff it on the right side, inside the console.
Makes sense. Thanks again.

·
Registered
34 Posts
OK, after reviewing this excellent mod in detail, seeing all the others in timeToy's gallery and implementing a few of his projects in my own Bolt, I propose that timeToy's Bolt be upgraded to a new trim level: the Bolt EV Premier tT.

Who's with me?

PS: Chevrolet: are you watching?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Great work and great turorial... was thinking about pulling the venter console apart to get to the wireless charging circuitry. Did you happen to see how accessible that was? Might be worth swapping out the cool for a functional one.
Here are a couple of picture of the center console insert showing the wireless charging (click for high res):

There is, maybe, a trim part to remove from the center console insert to get to the 4 screws that hold the Wireless charger, should be straightforward.

·
Registered
390 Posts
- To remove the shifter cover, undo clips on the outer edge, then pull the cover strait up, look at the pic there is a channel at the bottom. Then remove the metal clip, then pull the whole lever assembly
Hey timeToy, since a few days, I have my car and I have my parts. I have collected a little bit of courage and decided to give it a go. But I got stuck at step 1: 'undoing the clips on the outer edge'. Can you elaborate a bit on this? I assume this refers to clips that hold the shifter cover in place, but I don't see any clips. And I am a bit nervous about just applying force ...

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey timeToy, since a few days, I have my car and I have my parts. I have collected a little bit of courage and decided to give it a go. But I got stuck at step 1: 'undoing the clips on the outer edge'. Can you elaborate a bit on this? I assume this refers to clips that hold the shifter cover in place, but I don't see any clips. And I am a bit nervous about just applying force ...
Insert a small flat plastic tool in the small gap around the edge of the shifter, you will hear clips popping and a bigger gap will open. Remove the clip and lift the shifter vertically.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update...

So the USB Hub is a fail, Apple CarPlay is not working and the charging rate is too slow and can't charge the phone while using Android Auto. See: http://www.chevybolt.org/forum/26-electronics-audio-lighting/22009-finally-ran-usb-cable-iphone-mount-minimal-visibility-3.html#post291818

So I removed the USB hub and added an angled USB like @scknogas did, I filled a little gap under the shifter plate to route the cable. I also have routed the USB extension all the way to the front pocket, so I can plug a USB-C or Lightning cable as needed by the driver.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Update...

So the USB Hub is a fail, Apple CarPlay is not working and the charging rate is too slow and can't charge the phone while using Android Auto
Suppose with your install you had too much of a load on the poor 5V USB power provided by the Bolt.

AmazonBasics 7 Port USB 3.0 Hub with 12V/3A Power Adapter

You could always go with a externally powered USB HUB wired direrctly into the @12VDC provided by the APM on your Bolt. Having a powered HUB would not load down the 5V USB power allowing your phone to charge at the proper rate and your CarPlay may even be able to work...

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
(...)You could always go with a externally powered USB HUB wired direrctly into the @12VDC provided by the APM on your Bolt. Having a powered HUB would not load down the 5V USB power allowing your phone to charge at the proper rate and your CarPlay may even be able to work...
I have to admit that I tried 2 powered USB Hubs that I had laying around, one being the 4 ports version of the Amazon Basic that you are linking. I tried to plug them in the wall and also tried a 12V to 240V 100W converter plugged in the car.
- When plugged into any of the powered HUB the phone was only drawing around 70 to 100mA while charging when connected to Android Auto.
- When directly plugged into the car's USB ports the phone was drawing around 800 to 1100mA while charging when connected to Android Auto.

I really do not understand why this is the case, there must be something do with Android Auto limiting charging rate when not connected to a certified product, dunno. I didn't had a chance to test with an iPhone.

As for Carplay it only seems to work when connected directly to the car's USB ports. A USB extension is will work but not a hub.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts