Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The current options for customizing the center display layout stink, in my opinion! I can only find three items that are worth looking at: Energy Usage, Audio, and Charge Status (Immediate/Delayed) (not sure of their actual names in the list).

• We don't need an analog clock, because we already have the digital one right there.
  • The Phone category has privacy issues
  • The 12A vs. 8A status is useless to L2 users.
Wouldn't it be nice if they gave us an option to display one or more of these things there?:

• Energy efficiency
  • Tire Pressure
  • Delayed charge start time (not just the fact that it is immediate or delayed)
  • Bluetooth Status
What's the likelihood that they will add some new options to these choices in future software updates?

Eph

·
Registered
369 Posts
The current options for customizing the center display layout stink, in my opinion! I can only find three items that are worth looking at: Energy Usage, Audio, and Charge Status (Immediate/Delayed) (not sure of their actual names in the list).

• We don't need an analog clock, because we already have the digital one right there.
  • The Phone category has privacy issues
  • The 12A vs. 8A status is useless to L2 users.
Wouldn't it be nice if they gave us an option to display one or more of these things there?:

• Energy efficiency
  • Tire Pressure
  • Delayed charge start time (not just the fact that it is immediate or delayed)
  • Bluetooth Status
What's the likelihood that they will add some new options to these choices in future software updates?

Eph
2 chances - slim and none.
Software updates will fix glitches or be about apps. The basic functionality is what it is.
Energy efficiency and tire pressure are on the DIC. Why put them on the center display where they are more distracting?

Reactions: surgeonFWW

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Energy efficiency and tire pressure are on the DIC. Why put them on the center display where they are more distracting?
They are not persistent on the DIC. They are just one of the options you can scroll through. Scrolling is more distracting.

What layouts are people finding offer the best combination of info for you?

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
It looks like they had intended to offer a BT connection widget option. See this post from two years ago:

http://www.chevybolt.org/forum/129-safety-features-technology/3250-2017-chevrolet-bolt-s-interior-bells-whistles.html

Not ALL these widgets made it to the production models. Automatic self-braking ostensibly did! I especially would like to see a (by Chevy) demonstration of the auto-braking. None of us are going to approach a wall at 30-40 mph and see what "self-braking" looks like. Post a video, Chevy, so we can be informed. You obviously did the crash testing. You obviously did the self-braking testing. Show us what it looks like.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would suspect that GM wanted the infotainment system to be boring so people are watching the road rather than watching the center console.
By giving Apple the console via CarPlay, GM gives most of the liability to Apple should people have an incident. Note that CarPlay applications are
special applications that are designed to be voice operated so console interaction is minimal.

·
Registered
220 Posts
There are a few more advanced customization options available.

One is the Navtool option, to use your screen as a normal non-interactive HDMI compatible display.

Another is writing your own Android Auto app, to include some missing elements - but AA is severely hobbled and the safety guidelines are more restrictive than even OEM radios as far as driver distraction rules. The app would normally need to be approved by the Play Store drones and all the associated encumbrances.

There is some development for an unofficial AA SDK here. There is some discussion of it over at XDA. For the end-runners amongst us... There is some capability to pull car sensor data as well, I have not explored that for Chevrolet yet to see what's what. You could always write your app to interface with the OBD2 ELM327 bluetooth devices.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Not ALL these widgets made it to the production models. Automatic self-braking ostensibly did! I especially would like to see a (by Chevy) demonstration of the auto-braking. None of us are going to approach a wall at 30-40 mph and see what "self-braking" looks like. Post a video, Chevy, so we can be informed. You obviously did the crash testing. You obviously did the self-braking testing. Show us what it looks like.
Not Chevy, but how about Euro NCAP crash test videos (skip to 01:58):

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Super, and thanks, quirkySquirt! I assume this is with NO driver braking input. If not avoiding a crash, it certainly will lessen the impact (to our vehicle, and to the pedestrian, deer, or other vehicle). I wonder how big a pole has to be to trigger the brake? Sign post - no? Light pole - yes?

I would also like to see inside the vehicle to see how much the sudden, unexpected braking throws the driver around. (I will NOT be testing this on the highway!)

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Super, and thanks, quirkySquirt! I assume this is with NO driver braking input. If not avoiding a crash, it certainly will lessen the impact (to our vehicle, and to the pedestrian, deer, or other vehicle). I wonder how big a pole has to be to trigger the brake? Sign post - no? Light pole - yes?

I would also like to see inside the vehicle to see how much the sudden, unexpected braking throws the driver around. (I will NOT be testing this on the highway!)
The annotations of "System avoided crash" along with the test placards on the bottom labeled "AEB" for Automatic Emergency Braking should mean there was no driver input. Though, if you step through the frames you can see a head in the driver's seat that looks more human than test dummy. Since this is outside without any tracks to guide the Ampera-e, I assume a human was inside to aim the car and accelerate to the desired test speed. I'd assume they set Cruise Control and the driver simply kept the car aimed at the target until the AEB took over or the target was crashed into.

This was one of the safety features I wanted on my Bolt for the same reasons you cited. Unfortunately, my insurance jumped another $300/yr just for the safety features instead of reducing like I had hoped. I think only 2 insurance companies recognize these type of safety features. Everyone else just treats them as expensive accessories to payout for on claims rather than reducing claims (or even the severity of claims) and saving everyone money.

I think with the pedestrian dummy tests, that should suffice for a light pole. That dummy looked about 1 ft in vertical cross section, just a few inches thicker than the light poles I've seen.

I'm not certain AEB will help much at highway speeds. From the manual, it will only work from 5mph to 50mph (just blurring into highway speeds). The video shows that a difference between 35 kmh (22mph) to 40kmh (25mph) was enough that AEB struck the pedestrian dummy. I'm guessing any faster than 35mph and you're definitely going to hit a pedestrian. It will be with MUCH less force, though.

Does the Vauxhall have the exaxct same forward crash prevention as the Bolt?
I'm not 100%, but I recall reading on news sites and this forum that the Ampera-e is exported from the US and the same factories that churn out the Bolt churn out the Ampera-e. For critical systems such as braking, safety, power train, everything should be the same. Only cosmetic and interface changes (read: buttons for lane keeping) would be different between the two.

Heck, I think another forum member (timeToy?) bought Ampera-e power mirrors and installed them on our Bolt. I would wager the AEB system is something you don't change, just install or not. So the AEB on US Bolts should be the same on European Ampera-Es.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts