Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

CES 2016 is going to be a huge event for GM. Not only will it host the reveal of the production Chevy Bolt, it will also have GM CEO Mary Barra as the keynote speaker. This combination of events will ensure that GM gets plenty of time in the spotlight.

As Mary Barra gets to deliver the keynote address, this is really a chance for her to to set the mood, to prime people so that they are in a the perfect mindset to see the production Bolt for all its positives.

Ms. Barra will also be on hand to personally introduce the production Chevy Bolt. This gives her another opportunity to be in the driver's seat (pardon the pun), steering how the press will react to GM's newest model.

Having Ms. Barra speak at CES 2016 and introducing the Bolt as well shows that GM is serious about EVs. in addition to the benefits I mentioned previously regarding Barra's control of the message, the Bolt will also benefit from being included in both auto journalism and tech journalism.

So what can we expect to see when the production Chevy Bolt is unveiled?

Spy shots show that the Bolt will stay pretty close to the concept in terms of its overall silhouette. The interior of the will see a lot of change though. The concept interior was unrealistic for production, but looking at the Volt's interior can be a good guide as to what to expect for the Bolt.

Chevrolet Bolt Concept Interior

There are a few things that we do know for sure though. The Bolt will be sold in all 50 states (unlike Tesla). It will have a base price of $37,500, and have a range of 200 miles.

LG will be contributing an array of parts for the Bolt. Just to name a few: the battery packs, drive motor, on board charger, and infotainment system.

CES 2016 takes place in January and rumor has it that the Bolt could be in dealerships by 2017 with production planned to kick off in late 2016.

·
Registered
639 Posts
LG is going to make a killing with the bolt now and over time since most of what they're putting in will wear over time and need to be replaced.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think that a lot of people will opt to lease EVs, and when the lease is up will get a new one instead of buying and replacing parts.

·
Registered
263 Posts
At the rate that the car batteries are improving it's better to lease instead. Chevy's last Volt's range was 38 miles and in such a short amount of time they were able to increase it substantially. I feel like the range is just going to increase over time and buyers will want to upgrade to the newer models.

·
Registered
639 Posts
At the rate that the car batteries are improving it's better to lease instead. Chevy's last Volt's range was 38 miles and in such a short amount of time they were able to increase it substantially. I feel like the range is just going to increase over time and buyers will want to upgrade to the newer models.
That's the way I see it too, by the end of that lease term, who knows what will need to be changed and how much it will cost, rather not have to deal with that. Usually the time when terms end is when you get into high mileage maintenance.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I have read that Audi and Faraday Future will also be showing concepts at CES. The Chevy Bolt won't be able to suck up all the oxygen in the room. It has competition.

·
Registered
263 Posts
This is actually the first time I've come across Faraday Future and it sounds like a moving ad.
Was reading up on it and found this on AutoBlog:
LeTV, the Chinese company called 'The Netflix of China' backing FF, has said it sees this vehicle as another place to consume content.
Would rather go with the Bolt or cars coming from already established manufacturers.

·
Registered
639 Posts
This is actually the first time I've come across Faraday Future and it sounds like a moving ad.
Was reading up on it and found this on AutoBlog:

Would rather go with the Bolt or cars coming from already established manufacturers.
That's what i'm going to do for now and it helps that we've been able to see their EV tech in the hands of consumers for so long, starting with the first generation Volt.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
VW Will Reveal New Concept at CES

VW does not want to be upstaged by GM it appears. VW Chairman of the management of the Volkswagen passenger Cars brand will deliver a keynote address at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES).Along with the keynote address the brand will also reveal a brand new concept.

Dr. Herbert Diess will deliver his speech on January 5th. The speech will feature be a prelude to the introduction of a "groundbreaking electric vehicle that will further illustrate the synergy between the Internet of Things and the automotive industry." The new concept will also feature a number of new safety technologies, but that is all we have as information right now.

Audi will also be attending and introducing an unknown concept of its own which is expected to be focused on Audi's advancements in autonomous driving.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts