Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent the better part of the day at CES, as I have been going for some years now.
6 years ago, it was all about 3D televisions
5 years ago, it was all about home automation
4 years ago, it was all about drones
3 years ago, it was all about robots
2 years ago, it was all about VR
Last year, it was all about AI in the home​

This year, it's all about automotive infotainment and Autonomous driving!

And everybody is on board. Intel, Qualcomm, Samsung, Bosch, Microsoft, IBM, ... there were some 60+ exhibitors showing how drivers no longer need to drive, and even if they do elect to drive - they certainly are providing more below-the-dashboard distractions than ever.

A few pics:

Valero, a French company, finds a benefit in more illumination facing the driver. Doesn't matter, the car drives itself.

BMW & Intel have 17 external cameras (+4 cameras focused in the driver internally) for their
operational Autonomous vehicle (don't miss the one in the shark fin)

6 Lidar units, an unknown number of radar, sound, vibration, temperature, etc. sensors

Qualcomms Autonomous Maserati

Samsungs Autonomous dashboard mockup

Bosch is so confident of its Autonomous technology...

...that their steering wheels Fold Away!

Of course our future will not only include Autonomous cars, but personal Automatons (anatomically and functionally correct) who will drive us while we use our 5G smartphones to order them around, drive by themselves in our autonomous vehicles, fetch our food in our autonomous helicopters, meet our friends for dinner when we are just too busy, and otherwise do our bidding...so we can feel so much more ... human.

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

Are these the Droids we've been looking for?

I had a very long conversation with 2 Bosch engineers regarding their relationship with GM and the future of AV's.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
The future is essentially large screens and cushy chairs! :D
But we've certainly come a long way with autonomous cars because the cameras on the BMW and Intel car isn't as clunky as expected.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Spent the better part of the day at CES, as I have been going for some years now.
6 years ago, it was all about 3D televisions
5 years ago, it was all about home automation
4 years ago, it was all about drones
3 years ago, it was all about robots
2 years ago, it was all about VR
Last year, it was all about AI in the home​
This year, it's all about automotive infotainment and Autonomous driving!
Well, let's hope this year's "it" item has longer legs than previous year "it" items....

"6 years ago, it was all about 3D televisions"... pretty much a fad that died a couple of years back.
"5 years ago, it was all about home automation" ... too $$$$$ and complicated- hasn't gone mainstream yet.
"4 years ago, it was all about drones"... turned out to be an expensive/annoying/dangerous toy in the end.
"3 years ago, it was all about robots" ..... still in it's infancy, not practical for home use yet unless you consider the Roomba's practical.
"2 years ago, it was all about VR" ...... another fad to show off at parties.
"Last year, it was all about AI in the home" ...... wayyyyy to $$$$$- hasn't caught on.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Wow, Ex Machina and I, Robot mixed with Idiocracy, and maybe Surrogates... sweet! The future sure looks bright. Throw in some 1984 and Fahrenheit 451 and sign me up! :cool:

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
New EV's are now being announced at CES it seems. Does this mean EV's are no longer cars, but now consumer electronics?
I didn't get over to the hall where these were, but I'll add another future dashboard:

This one is from the newly announced Byton EV. A fairly well capitalized Chinese outfit. So it may see the light of day. (notice the screen on the steering wheel - Go Speed Racer, Go!)

Others there are a new Fisker model, Kia, rinspeed snap (a gigantic electric skateboard), Smart Vision EQ4-2. Also Faraday Future and Lucid Air without their cars...just looking for more investor $$$ to get going.

I did see see this single-seat EV trike:

Called the Solo from a Canadian firm Electra Meccanica . Looks like it's well made, 16 kW/h battery - 120 mile range...but $19.9K?

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'm a huge fan of the reverse trike design, but they need to be mass produced (or kit cars) to make the prices viable, and there's no mass market for them I don't think. Are you press/media or part of the tech sector @shotel? It's always great to have someone with access on a forum!

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you press/media or part of the tech sector @shotel? It's always great to have someone with access on a forum!
Yes, we focus on data network security. Also it's so much more productive to actually meet potential partners or customers face-to-face...vs. electronically.

As an update, there were 4 industry panels on the current state and future of Vehicle technology today. Topics of each included

• AI and robotics changing mobility?
  • Explore the latest vehicle technology and the potential of connected vehicle tech
  • Auto-ISAC introduced. Cybersecurity threats and the auto industry

The panels were:
  • Accessible Self Driving: Innovations for Independence
  • Present Day Innovations in Vehicle Tech
  • Cybersecurity and the Auto Industry
  • From Sci-Fi to Showroom: A Status Report on Future Transportation
Presenters were some of the highest level engineering, design, science, and senior level management experts in the field. From IBM, the FBI, GM, Honda, MBZ, nVidia, etc. Participants were literally from every global auto manufacturer, software, OS, & electronics manufacturer...and Insurance Companies.

I learned about something new to me, but old...very old to the auto industry; the CAN bus. Many here are well aware of this protocol, but it's the industry standard data communications system cars use. The quantity and sophistication of sensors used in vehicles was astonishing. Currently most vehicles have about 100 sensors, all communicating across a CAN bus (or multiple CAN buses) designed 40 years ago (by Bosch) whose bandwidth is about modem speed. . That is expected to rise to more than 500/vehicle sensors in the next few years.

One example is passenger safety. Here I am, thinking that there is some simple switch in the seat cushion that tells the car there is a passenger present - so put on the seat belts. More like a infrared heat sensor or thermal cameras that can not only tell the difference between a box, a dog, or a human...but that humans height, weight, sitting position, the seat belt movement while in motion and at rest - which data points are used to continually adjust air bag deployment. Capacitive sensing technology integrated into a seat can detect fatigue, distraction, drowsiness, alertness, heart rate via EKG, and even health issues.

Forget investing in these auto manufacturers stocks, invest in the sensor developers! (Tip: Google didn't acquire Motorola for it's phone business)

Although this may sound boring, The sensor thing is important because the data collected isn't just from the car, but from the driver and passengers. How ones weight fluctuates over time, what radio stations are being listened to, what paths one takes, what data is in ones connected smartphone, what are the topics of conversation on streaming channels, what billboards get a drivers attention. That is part of the BIG Data.

Consider this; would you buy auto insurance by the "risk mile"? Currently, Insurers base premiums on risk associated with location, driving history, etc. What if Insurers were aware of every metric of every mile you drive, and charged based on dynamic risk patterns? If you just drive down a residential street, then your dynamic risk will be very low and your per/mile rate will reflect that. If you are always late for work, or to pick up your kids from day care before the fines kick in and you drive through congested areas to get there, your dynamic risk will be higher for those miles driven. Your vehicle is continually updating your Insurance company with all of its real-time data.

But as it stands, all this data remains trapped in the vehicle, and the industry must migrate out of CAN into the next gen networking systems. Such networking systems include AUTOSAR, FlexRay, and LIN. Considering the code base (Operating System) size for some cars is approaching 1GB, I see why these meetings are taking place at an electronic show, and not a auto supplier show.

As I surmised, security is a major hurdle. The "mobility neural network" would include the vehicle, existing sensors in streets, traffic cameras, signaling systems, drivers AND pedestrians mobile devices, etc. If you have read through so far (tl;dr), it is my understanding GM could provide the Bolt with OTA updates and 2-way systems diagnosis via OnStar...but chose not to have those components integrated from it's telematics OEM, due in part to security concerns. And of course cost.

Very fascinating stuff for someone not in the industry. In conclusion, my take away is the global auto industry has no compelling reason to make & sell less vehicles. Which is what the logical end game would be if the efficiencies of fully autonomous vehicles become a reality. I think the autonomous vehicle test and concepts will use this technology minimize traffic accidents, eliminate traffic congestion as we know it, increase passenger safety, while still allowing people to own and drive their own cars.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I can't wait until full autonomy is implemented maybe 50 years from now. I'm talking routing humans around like IP network traffic and most of the limitations imposed by and for humans gone (steering wheels, traffic lights, lane markers, signs, fixed speed limits). So much better utilization of existing roads. Traffic shaping for emergency vehicles and congestion, no more road rage, street wear-leveling algorithms, nearly as-the-crow-flies commute times, naps, lower insurance rates.

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
I can't wait until full autonomy is implemented maybe 50 years from now. I'm talking routing humans around like IP network traffic and most of the limitations imposed by and for humans gone (steering wheels, traffic lights, lane markers, signs, fixed speed limits). So much better utilization of existing roads. Traffic shaping for emergency vehicles and congestion, no more road rage, street wear-leveling algorithms, nearly as-the-crow-flies commute times, naps, lower insurance rates.
Yeah. I saw both movies. Harrison Ford was great. Glad I won't be there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts