Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably a dumb question but is there a way to adapt a Chademo plug to fit the bolt? I think Chademo speaks canbus so maybe it’s out of the question.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
there's always a way. just not commercially available in any form that anyone has reported on. would be tempting to get wrecked cars to make adapters though.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I read somewhere that this cannot be done. Ditto with Tesla charging stations. Be careful. As you are suggesting, there is more than just power involved: there is software communication as well. Please don't blow up your Bolt.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I read somewhere that this cannot be done. Ditto with Tesla charging stations. Be careful. As you are suggesting, there is more than just power involved: there is software communication as well. Please don't blow up your Bolt.
that would be main reason to use a wrecked Nissan or Tesla, get the handshake and connector. For all the station knows, it is plugged in to one of their cars. unless they track specific VIN's and know if a car has been totaled. I think they all run around 500V DC for Chademo, DCFC, and Supercharger. Source for stations would be from 3 phase 480VAC. Would think that would drive the DC voltage level through the rectifier.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
It's possible...but it'd be crazy expensive. Like $1,500-$2,000 to make a concept adapter.
that's like throwing down the gauntlet. I could beat that. of course this would assume the labor is free. wouldn't count the 3D printer as part of the cost. might have to "borrow" a few cars to reverse engineer a few things. couldn't market the final product unless licenses were obtained. that's where the real cost would come into play.

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
I don't see much point to this adapter. DC fast chargers have been extremely rare, outside major metro areas, until recently. All the public ones in Virginia now have both CCS, and CHAdeMO plugs.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I'm going to wait to see progress in 2018 for the stations from electrify America from VW. Right now, Tesla is going all out on Superchargers. Cross country traveling in anything Tesla is real. My Bolt, not so much. Only adapter worth pursuing would be to a supercharger if CCS availability doesn't pan out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts