Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV Ioniq 5 reservation
1,719 Posts
I have done some 5 hour trips with no discomfort. (Different strokes ...)

The thinner padding was done on purpose to increase interior roominess.
At the 7:45-8:10 minute interval.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I have done some 5 hour trips with no discomfort. (Different strokes ...) The thinner padding was done on purpose to increase interior roominess.
Yeah, agree or not decisions were made for a reason, I prefer the roominess. Plus this has the advantage, you can't easily trim down a seat to make more room in the cab, but it's trivial to add padding or other additions to make it more comfortable.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I definitely understand that a lot of people like the seats. From what I can tell the problem only exists with about 1/3 of the Bolts. I've seen pictures in forums where people show how much one seat compresses versus the others. Some seats literally have half the foam padding they should. It's a manufacturing defect. For the seats that basically have no padding the common symptom is sharp points cause thigh pain and then legs go numb after about an hour.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna LE AWD "Mr. Sparkollz"
1,243 Posts
I definitely understand that a lot of people like the seats. From what I can tell the problem only exists with about 1/3 of the Bolts..
It's more intriguing than that. I find the Bolt driver's seat comfortable in every respect, and I do not have the best back in the world.

But my dear female friend, who does have the best back in the world, suffers in the driver seat, in the lumbar area primarily. I am guessing the designers created the shape that, instead of being an "OK" compromise for 99% of people, is great for 65-70% of us and causes problems to the rest of the drivers.

·
Registered
605 Posts
who does have the best back in the world, suffers in the driver seat, in the lumbar area primarily. I am guessing the designers created the shape that, instead of being an "OK" compromise for 99% of people, is great for 65-70% of us and causes problems to the rest of the drivers.
Back problems are rampant in developed nations, there's a reason for it. Check out the "Balance" method, or "Aplomb" in France. The problem is probably less your lumbar and more your sacrum/L6 region - which is then messing up your lumbar. They also have studied how to sit in cars and have a fix for that. Worked for me, lifelong back problems gone.

http://www.balancecenter.com
http://sonomabodybalance.com

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I have one of those lumbar support cushions for my back in both my car and all office chairs. Really forces my to sit straight and gives me pretty good support.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.