Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I was thinking 'if' I bought the Bolt, how hard would it be to replace the Chevy badge with Opel's?

1. Do you think the front grill could be easily swapped out and fit the Opel grill?
2. The steering wheel; would the entire steering wheel need to be replaced or could the plastic covering over the horn be taken off and replaced? I'm wondering if that's one whole unit to hold the airbag in place
3. With regard to the Chevy badge on the back. Would the hole patterns be the same to take off the badge and pop in Opel?
4. The center caps should be easy enough.

Thanks!
Wallz

·
Registered
322 Posts
Probably the best advice is to wait until the online parts catalogs are available then look up those parts in both Chevy and Opel catalogs. Based on the pictures I've seen, those do seem like relatively easy swaps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Wallz, this looks like it can be done, but why would you want to do this?
IMO this car should be called the Chevy Bolt worldwide as a point of difference.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Wallz, this looks like it can be done, but why would you want to do this?
IMO this car should be called the Chevy Bolt worldwide as a point of difference.

Hi Miggy,

As much as I'm intrigued with and want the Chevy Bolt, I've never been a fan of Chevy/GM or the Chevy logo.

I find the way the Opel emblem comes together with Ampera-e grill, just looks more stream lined and attractive to me. That's all.

W.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
gotta admit, the opel badge does go well with the whole electric car theme since it's a lightning bolt. Just not sure if the mounting screws line up perfectly with the ones used by the chevy badge.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Still a little too early to really know for sure, but I'm pretty sure they shouldn't be that difficult to change out

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Nvm, I think the Chevy badge is just glued on and you can probably take it off with some dental floss and glue remover.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I know some brands have their badges attached with more than glue so those will be a problem but Chevy badges should just be glued on or using 3m tape.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I love the Chevy Bowtie.............about time that they standardized in the 'gold' finish, rather than having blue, red, etc.

Opel is a European brand and for all I care, they can keep their logos over there!

·
Registered
4 Posts
So I am very interested in performing this opel swap. I would like to find a ampera e front grill, front fender badges, and rear badges along with a steering wheel cover/replacement airbag if it's all the same unit like I've seen on many vehicles. Only problem is I haven't been able to find any Opel ampera e parts anywhere online. Even looking on .eu and .de websites. Has anyone seen any parts online? I just think Ampera e's badging looks 100% better then standard Chevy badging. Blue EV bages on a red car isn't cutting it. Any help finding parts would be awesome so I can post a write up of the swap.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Welcome to the forums @Boss

So far I haven't seen any of the parts online, I'll try to look better though. Maybe try contacting a dealer down there by sending them an email or something?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello,

many thanks for your inquiry.

Unfortunately we have to inform you that the required articles does not exist in our product range.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards
Michael Simon
rexbo.eu

** Please do not change the subject when replying to this email. **

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rexbo International GmbH
Am Wasserturm 19-21
48653 Coesfeld
Germany

(Original email)

I wanted to know if your able to source parts for the 2017 Opel ampera e electric car.

Specifically,

-front grill w/ Opel badge
-Drivers and passenger front fender badges
-Rear Opel badge on hatchback
-Ampera badge on rear of vehicle
-Steering wheel cover piece or airbag

Basically my project is to swap all Chevy bolt bages with Opel Ampera E badges.

Thanks!

Well that's not promising... Maybe I'll try Norway next? Lol

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
It is my belief that actual dealership parts counters get preferential treatment over online parts retailers. Because Bolts and even more so, Amperas are so rare and few in numbers, the online parts retailers have very little yet. If you physically go to the parts counter at a dealership, they can get you the parts. If you can't, or really don't want to go down to the dealer, the only solution it just wait. Eventually the online guys will have a full catalog of parts for the Bolt/Ampera.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hey guys,

I was thinking 'if' I bought the Bolt, how hard would it be to replace the Chevy badge with Opel's?

1. Do you think the front grill could be easily swapped out and fit the Opel grill?
2. The steering wheel; would the entire steering wheel need to be replaced or could the plastic covering over the horn be taken off and replaced? I'm wondering if that's one whole unit to hold the airbag in place
3. With regard to the Chevy badge on the back. Would the hole patterns be the same to take off the badge and pop in Opel?
4. The center caps should be easy enough.

Thanks!
Wallz

The chevy badge on the back is only attached with 3M tape. Its on the glass, so you need to be careful not to scratch the glass.

As for the front badge, its shaped (bent, curved and molded into the plastic grill, so i assume there are bolts holding it in place, I have not taken it off. So if you take it out, there will be an indentation the shape of the badge in the grill. Not sure if the Opel badge is not the same size/shape -curve..
-- same goes for the steering wheel badge so i would assume you need to replace the whole steering wheel.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
I?d like to have these parts as well. Great idea. Has anyone tried to contact an Opel dealer?
Opel dealers can't even get the car, so I doubt there is much to be had in the Parts Dept. The Ampera e is a lame duck that will soon fade into oblivion I'm afraid.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I think the Ampera E front grill/badge is a separate part entirely. I mean that you can't just grab the badge, you'd have to get the entire grill with its chrome accents and bolt in circle. The Chevy front badge is snapped in with three opposing tabs. You can probably get it off easily if you can get your hands back there behind the grill. In another post, someone had their stolen from the car and posted pics of the 'grill' with the missing badge.

If someone gets an Ampera E grill, I'm interested. I don't car about the hubs, rear badge, etc. I just like the look of the grill.

The chevy badge on the back is only attached with 3M tape. Its on the glass, so you need to be careful not to scratch the glass.

As for the front badge, its shaped (bent, curved and molded into the plastic grill, so i assume there are bolts holding it in place, I have not taken it off. So if you take it out, there will be an indentation the shape of the badge in the grill. Not sure if the Opel badge is not the same size/shape -curve..
-- same goes for the steering wheel badge so i would assume you need to replace the whole steering wheel.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone followed this up any more? Did the Opel get dropped? It seems like people have taken delivery of some Amperas. Would very much like to get the parts to swap the branding if anyone has any leads...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts