Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have a garage, so my Bolt is outside all the time. I tried this site's idea for a cover to keep rain, snow, and ice out of the charge port when plugged in:

[URL="http://insideevs.com/bmw-i3-charge-port-snow-cover/"[/URL]

As you can see, the poster used a cover for an outdoor faucet and cut out an opening for the charging plug. I embellished the original idea by adding a cover for the open door where precipitation also collects. Both covers work.

Attachments

·
Registered
574 Posts
I am also interested in a shroud of some kind that keeps the works dry. I think the sheet metal in this area is steel, so a fabric 'hanky' with magnets sewn into it seems like a simple solution. Easy to make, should not mar the paint, and is easy to stow.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I don't have a garage, so my Bolt is outside all the time. I tried this site's idea for a cover to keep rain, snow, and ice out of the charge port when plugged in:

[URL="http://insideevs.com/bmw-i3-charge-port-snow-cover/"[/URL]

As you can see, the poster used a cover for an outdoor faucet and cut out an opening for the charging plug. I embellished the original idea by adding a cover for the open door where precipitation also collects. Both covers work.
Does this/your device allow placement of a combination lock (I use a green TSA lock) under the shroud?

·
Registered
724 Posts
Would be a neat trick if you could have something Fabric that rolls up on the inside, upper part of the plug. When you open the port door you can un-velcro it and cover the handle and door.

Does that make sense at all ?
Can you put magnets in there ?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does this/your device allow placement of a combination lock (I use a green TSA lock) under the shroud?
I honestly don't know the answer to this as I've never tried using a lock. There is a lot of space under the cover, so I guess it would depend on the size and location of the lock. Sorry not to be more helpful. The hard-shell cover is only $2.98 at Home Depot so not too expensive to experiment.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
That's actually a great idea, thank you for sharing the article! I always hated shaking off the water from the J1772 handle. Should also help keep the charging port cleaner during bad weather.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I also have at least 1 car charging outside most evenings, and I like these ideas for covering.

The panel is definitely sheet metal, magnetic in a fabric sounds like it would work, but the fabric needs to be at least water resistant.

magnetic areas of the Bolt was demonstrated and at 2:08 minutes in this video this panel.

... I think the sheet metal in this area is steel, so a fabric 'hanky' with magnets sewn into it seems like a simple solution. Easy to make, should not mar the paint, and is easy to stow.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
The panel is definitely sheet metal,
I apologize in advance for this post. As an old worker in metal, my teeth ache when I hear folks say stuff like this. All metal, in sheet form, is sheet metal. Every time I go to our local recycling center, I want to tear the signage down. Signs like, "aluminum, and metal cans only!", drive me crazy.

·
Registered
118 Posts
No problem GJETSON, I was quoting from the posted U tube video about the magnetic area.
:)

I apologize in advance for this post. As an old worker in metal, my teeth ache when I hear folks say stuff like this. All metal, in sheet form, is sheet metal. Every time I go to our local recycling center, I want to tear the signage down. Signs like, "aluminum, and metal cans only!", drive me crazy.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
It's all part of the "Dumbing Down of America"....:crying:

You mention ferrous vs. non-ferrous nowadays and people look at you like you're speaking a foreign language.
Who needs science class when you can take "event planning" instead?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts