Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have a garage, so my Bolt is outside all the time. I tried this site's idea for a cover to keep rain, snow, and ice out of the charge port when plugged in:

[URL="http://insideevs.com/bmw-i3-charge-port-snow-cover/"[/URL]

As you can see, the poster used a cover for an outdoor faucet and cut out an opening for the charging plug. I embellished the original idea by adding a cover for the open door where precipitation also collects. Both covers work.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Sweet!

Nice fix....

·
Registered
575 Posts
I am also interested in a shroud of some kind that keeps the works dry. I think the sheet metal in this area is steel, so a fabric 'hanky' with magnets sewn into it seems like a simple solution. Easy to make, should not mar the paint, and is easy to stow.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV Ioniq 5 reservation
1,729 Posts
I don't have a garage, so my Bolt is outside all the time. I tried this site's idea for a cover to keep rain, snow, and ice out of the charge port when plugged in:

As you can see, the poster used a cover for an outdoor faucet and cut out an opening for the charging plug. I embellished the original idea by adding a cover for the open door where precipitation also collects. Both covers work.
Does this/your device allow placement of a combination lock (I use a green TSA lock) under the shroud?

·
Registered
865 Posts
Would be a neat trick if you could have something Fabric that rolls up on the inside, upper part of the plug. When you open the port door you can un-velcro it and cover the handle and door.

Does that make sense at all ?
Can you put magnets in there ?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does this/your device allow placement of a combination lock (I use a green TSA lock) under the shroud?
I honestly don't know the answer to this as I've never tried using a lock. There is a lot of space under the cover, so I guess it would depend on the size and location of the lock. Sorry not to be more helpful. The hard-shell cover is only $2.98 at Home Depot so not too expensive to experiment.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
That's actually a great idea, thank you for sharing the article! I always hated shaking off the water from the J1772 handle. Should also help keep the charging port cleaner during bad weather.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Cherry Red
118 Posts
I also have at least 1 car charging outside most evenings, and I like these ideas for covering.

The panel is definitely sheet metal, magnetic in a fabric sounds like it would work, but the fabric needs to be at least water resistant.

magnetic areas of the Bolt was demonstrated and at 2:08 minutes in this video this panel.

... I think the sheet metal in this area is steel, so a fabric 'hanky' with magnets sewn into it seems like a simple solution. Easy to make, should not mar the paint, and is easy to stow.

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
The panel is definitely sheet metal,
I apologize in advance for this post. As an old worker in metal, my teeth ache when I hear folks say stuff like this. All metal, in sheet form, is sheet metal. Every time I go to our local recycling center, I want to tear the signage down. Signs like, "aluminum, and metal cans only!", drive me crazy.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Cherry Red
118 Posts
No problem GJETSON, I was quoting from the posted U tube video about the magnetic area.
:)

I apologize in advance for this post. As an old worker in metal, my teeth ache when I hear folks say stuff like this. All metal, in sheet form, is sheet metal. Every time I go to our local recycling center, I want to tear the signage down. Signs like, "aluminum, and metal cans only!", drive me crazy.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
It's all part of the "Dumbing Down of America"....:crying:

You mention ferrous vs. non-ferrous nowadays and people look at you like you're speaking a foreign language.
Who needs science class when you can take "event planning" instead?

·
Registered
1 Posts

I made a charger cover from an old raincoat. Stitched magnets into the fabric and stuck it to the metal window frame, then draped it over the plug and the cover to protect from snow and ice. You can tie or Velcro it around the power cord to keep it from flapping. Prior, I was having trouble closing the plug cover after charging because of snow and/or ice in the hinges and outlet cover.

·
Registered
2017 Premier, Arctic Blue - Oct 2020
140 Posts
Btw, I took up the habit of pushing the booted spring plunger (that helps pop open the cover).
I do it by hand as I'm plugging in the cord. Then the door flaps shut with out any wrestling later.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts