Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this part number/description combination combing through accessory lists for the Bolt. Has anyone seen Charge Port Illuminated - 84079437 or ordered this? I would love an illuminated charge port, but haven't seen anyone talking about this.

·
Registered
782 Posts
this would be cool - I actually find the feature useful on my Tesla's - let's me know charging is working - I don't find the little LED in the center of the dash behind the windshield as compelling…

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV Ioniq 5 reservation
1,719 Posts
this would be cool - I actually find the feature useful on my Tesla's - let's me know charging is working - I don't find the little LED in the center of the dash behind the windshield as compelling…
As a charging indicator, the w/s light can be seen further and from all directions. As a “find where to plug in in the dark” light, it doesn’t/can’t do it.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I would love an illuminated charge port, but haven't seen anyone talking about this.
In the 2017 Getting to Know Your 2017 Bolt EV[PDF] manual, page 12, under Charging Status sub topic, it reads:

"The Charging Status indicators are located on the instrument panel near the windshield
and on the illuminated charge port (if available)."​

Like the Volt, this should be a level-2 DIY affair as described in this thread.

·
Super Moderator
2,580 Posts
In the 2017 Getting to Know Your 2017 Bolt EV[PDF] manual, page 12, under Charging Status sub topic, it reads:

"The Charging Status indicators are located on the instrument panel near the windshield
and on the illuminated charge port (if available)."​

Like the Volt, this should be a level-2 DIY affair as described in this thread.
Hmmm... maybe a new feature on the 2018 Bolt? Maybe it's featured on the Bolts sold in Canada or some other market? If there are part numbers and it's mentioned in the manual, there is a good chance it could be retro fitted to older Bolts. At what cost... who knows? It's likely more complex than it seems.

·
Registered
605 Posts
That's pretty clear. Nothing has been released about the 2018, so this can't be some early text covering that case. I bet they didn't have it ready on release, but it's a paid upgrade option that hasn't been announced. I'll ask my parts guy.

I looked back there. It's really hard to see, the whole thing is hard. It's a sealed underbody (sweet!) and very compact. I did notice by the way that it has servo controlled venetian blinds for the radiator, to control the amount of airflow coming into it. Anyhow I see a black and a blue/white 24awg going into the port, probably for the door sensor, and then what looks like four 24 AWG lines coming in the other side (red/some other colors). I was betting there would be a 12V power line available for the retrofit - maybe the lines I'm seeing are some CAN bus which has power which could be tapped. LED's for the charge port wouldn't require much, but I don't know much about the CAN standard.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would love to be able to install that. I think it looks awesome. Too bad its not blue though.

·
Super Moderator
2,580 Posts
I would love to be able to install that. I think it looks awesome. Too bad its not blue though.
It might be. The one pictured is for the Volt. Who knows what the one for a Bolt would look like?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Based on the reading from the Volt page, it doesn't seem impossible to do at home. I am concerned that the difference in price between the Bolt and Volt part may indicate that one may be harder to install than the other.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I checked with my parts guy, he said the system says "Future part, not available yet with no ETA, Part will cancel upon entry". So it's a placeholder.

Some older threads reference it so it's been there for a while, I'll guess it is for the 2017 but wasn't ready yet for whatever reason.

·
Super Moderator
2,580 Posts
I checked with my parts guy, he said the system says "Future part, not available yet with no ETA, Part will cancel upon entry". So it's a placeholder.

Some older threads reference it so it's been there for a while, I'll guess it is for the 2017 but wasn't ready yet for whatever reason.
Like I said, it may well be a new feature on the 2018 Bolt, as well as the Buick Version of the Bolt. We'll have to stay tuned...

·
Registered
3 Posts
In addition to my Bolt EV I have Volt that is fully equipped with charge port illumination and i think it is a waste of $225 and is more of a gimmick (and cool factor) than anything useful. Your light on top of the dashboard does the same thing.

·
Registered
605 Posts
In addition to my Bolt EV I have Volt that is fully equipped with charge port illumination and i think it is a waste of $225 and is more of a gimmick (and cool factor) than anything useful. Your light on top of the dashboard does the same thing.
Thanks, I was suspecting. I don't need more blinky lights. Some said that when it's dark it helps find the port, but I figure if it's so dark I can't see where to plug in, I'd be better having a flashlight with me.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
But some of us want the Beeping and Blinking and Flashing Lights....

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So Professor, will your parts guy be able to dip into the Opel catalog when that becomes available. That Opel Ampera e grill is looking pretty good...

·
Registered
605 Posts
So Professor, will your parts guy be able to dip into the Opel catalog when that becomes available. That Opel Ampera e grill is looking pretty good...
Don't know, probably not. The upper grill? Looks less interesting than the Bolt to my eye, which has more of a solid, clean look with style. I wonder why they thought "Ah, this will appeal more to Europeans". The Bolt overall has cleaner lines IMO, the added details on the Ampera make it too busy.

Looks like it has extra ultra-sonic sensors along the body, and did I see native mapping in the video?

Speaking of which, watching the Ampera-e

Does it really? I was not aware the type 1 featured a locking mechanism. For my Outlander PHEV I use a padlock to lock the unlocking knob on the connector.
The manual said something about locking, like

"When the vehicle no longer needs to use power from the charging station, it will stop charging and the DC vehicle plug will be unlocked from the DC charge port." pg 235. I assumed the mechanism at the top of the charge port has locking capability.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts