Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I place my order last week. Hoping to receive it by mid July. Not sure yet if it will be a 2018 or 2019.

I have been looking into charging stations and have downloaded a number of Apps; PlugShare, Greenlots, ChargeHub, Flo and ChargePoint. I will be traveling from Ottawa to Linsay later this summer and wanted to check on the route. I was comparing maps and the most striking issue I see is that each map seems to have different list of charging stations. I really don't like the idea of having to check all apps everytime I need to charge when away from home. What is the best app to use?

The second issue I noticed is that the prices range from free to comparable to gas ($20/hour for FLO, which would only give me 200-250km, about half a tank of gas would do the same). I know I am buying an EV to avoid greenhouse gases but the only way that is reasonable is by balancing the added cost of the car with the decreased cost of fuel. I am hoping these costs come down as EVs become more popular.

I also noticed that one of the apps, I forget which one, had a membership fee. I haven't checked all the apps but I really don't want to have to pay for multiple memberships just so I can charge. Do all apps have a paid membership fee?

Please excuse the newbie if these questions have been asked.

·
Registered
607 Posts
In my opinion, PlugShare is all you need to get info on all the charging stations. It's the most up to date.

You probably want to get memberships to any charging networks you will use. Then you might need to use the network's app when you want to charge at their stations.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
3,481 Posts
In my opinion, PlugShare is all you need to get info on all the charging stations. It's the most up to date.

You probably want to get memberships to any charging networks you will use. Then you might need to use the network's app when you want to charge at their stations.
EV-Go lets you use the app, or the RFID card they supply. I've used both.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts

There are some odd reporting for chargers on PlugShare. I'd recommend installing other popular apps like Chargepoint. There's a charger I occasionally used for both my Volt and my Bolt that was present in PlugShare and Chargepoint (it happened to be a Chargepoint-operated L2 charger) but as of 2018, PlugShare no longer lists it but Chargepoint does. Don't know what caused PlugShare to drop the charger.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
3,481 Posts
I just checked EV-Go's map. It looks as if all their charging stations are in the US. Do they have any in Eastern Canada?
I don't know. They're pretty aggressively placing stations here in Cali. Try their web site.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I am able to get most all the data I need from PlugShare. I recently bookmarked GreenRace (www.jurassictest.ch/GR/) which shows the elevations all along your route. On long trips, this can be very helpful. Coming back from VA, a 226 mile trip, I arrived in Beckley with 100 miles to go and 94 "in the battery". But, since I knew it was all downhill to Charleston, WV (and then nearly level the last 44 miles to Huntington, WV) I persevered and arrived home with a 40 mile reserve range. Last month, driving to Baltimore, I left Shinston, WV fully charged. I arrived at Grantsville MD with a 4 mile reserve (to destination @ Hagerstown = 90 miles, & 94 miles in the batt.). Again, knowing it was net downhill to Hagerstown, I kept going (slightly less than the 70 mph speed limit) and arrived with a 24 mile reserve. 41 minutes of DCFC and I was off to Baltimore, MD. (Love GreenRace!) The EVgo app is the only one that tells you if the EVSE is occupied or available, but afaik, only for their EVSEs.

·
Registered
324 Posts
PlugShare is the first place I look. As it's community based the info can be spotty (I've tried to submit corrections, but that seems to be a black hole), and in-use info is only as good as the people using the app. Even if I use a ChargePoint charger, I try and check in with PlugShare, but I'm not perfect - sorry folks.

ChargePoint will also tell you if their charger is in-use - at least it does for the ones I've used. They also list non-CP chargers, but the info seems a bit spotty. For example, I know of one L3 charger on their map that shows as 4 ports. In reality it has one CCS and one CHAdeMO, and only one can be used at a time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts