Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have been looking over the plug share site/app and noticed that the prices are based on time connected. I have also noticed that rarely is the transfer rate mentioned. I have also seen a couple reviews where people have been charged $20 for an hour charge that was only charging at 15-20 kW. Is there any app that provides the charging capacity of the L3 charging stations. I really wouldn't want to find myself in the position of having to pay for a $5 hook up only to find the power transfer is slower than an L2. I'd also hate to find myself stranded because a charge is going to take 4 hrs instead of 1.

Again, please forgive if this has been brought up before. I still trying to figure this all out. I still don't even have my Bolt yet.

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
One of my pet peeves is that PlugShare doesn't list the actual power level of chargers. Some L2 chargers run at 3kW and some at 7kW - and some DC Fast Chargers run at 24kW and some at 50kW. Those are big differences.

IMHO PlugShare should include the power level as an item of metadata and make it one of the things you can filter the view for: "show only CCS stations with 40kW or more of power".

In the meantime, whenever I use a charger I make it a habit to update the charger description if necessary to include the power that it can deliver.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also think the price should be tied to the amount of power provided. There is absolutely no incentive for the charging station to provide a fast service. Could you imaging trying to charge people filling up their gas tank by time rather than by how much gas they actually got, especially when the gas station can control how fast the gas is pumped.

·
Registered
6,064 Posts
I also think the price should be tied to the amount of power provided. There is absolutely no incentive for the charging station to provide a fast service. Could you imaging trying to charge people filling up their gas tank by time rather than by how much gas they actually got, especially when the gas station can control how fast the gas is pumped.
Good point. The difference is that electricity cost is relatively trivial (commercial rates are near $0.04/kWh in my area). Since the number of charging stations is limited, billing by connected time encourages people to leave once they get enough charge and make it available for the next person. If they billed by kWh, they would be making less money per connected minute for cars with slow charging rates, or when the battery is nearing full charge.

While the Plugshare app should (and easily could) show the charging rate capability, most people know the charging rate of the local chargers they frequent. This issue you bring up is one among many that I would not put up with driving an EV on longer distance road trips. EVs shine in local commuting, but are very poor choices for complex road trips.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good point. The difference is that electricity cost is relatively trivial (commercial rates are near $0.04/kWh in my area). Since the number of charging stations is limited, billing by connected time encourages people to leave once they get enough charge and make it available for the next person. If they billed by kWh, they would be making less money per connected minute for cars with slow charging rates, or when the battery is nearing full charge.

While the Plugshare app should (and easily could) show the charging rate capability, most people know the charging rate of the local chargers they frequent. This issue you bring up is one among many that I would not put up with driving an EV on longer distance road trips. EVs shine in local commuting, but are very poor choices for complex road trips.

There is no reason they would have to charge $0.04/kWh. Charge a reasonable price, $0.15/kWh or whatever. They then include a parking fee. Half hour to move your car or $2/30min.

I don't really expect to use local charging stations at all. Charging every night should give me more than enough local travel/day. I figure the only time I will be using charging stations is when away from home and in most cases that will be L3 (or L2 at a hotel). That is when I really need to know the charging capacity. I don't want to plan a trip with an hour stop only to have it turn into a 3 hour stop just because of a slow charge station.

·
Registered
6,064 Posts
There is no reason they would have to charge $0.04/kWh. Charge a reasonable price, $0.15/kWh or whatever. They then include a parking fee. Half hour to move your car or $2/30min.
I believe some stations do bill as you suggest, for both connected time and delivered charge. It's just simpler to bill by time connected and assume the delivered kWh will be near the capabilities of the charger. Everyone understands the concept of time (like paying a parking meter), but many do not understand energy pricing (despite the ubiquity of electric utility bills).

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
3,521 Posts
I recall reading on a different thread on this site that charging by the hour circumvents a little-known aspect of the law:

If you sell electrical energy by the kWh, you're a "Utility", and utilities must meet very stringent Federal and State regulations.

I'm just passing it on, and I haven't bothered to check if this is true.

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
While the Plugshare app should (and easily could) show the charging rate capability, most people know the charging rate of the local chargers they frequent.
I don't know if I'm among "most people" or not, but I charge in my garage and therefore rarely use "local" chargers. So far, the chargers I've used have been on trips and almost without exception each visit to a charger has been my first.

The power rating of a charger is so important that I think it's a huge omission from the information available on PlugShare.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I sent a suggestion to PlugShare to include the wattage and here is their response.

"
Hi Ljpm,

Thanks for writing in and welcome to PlugShare! We are currently working on new features and with network providers to get wattage information available for view and filtering so stay tuned for those updates.
Currently users can report amps and volts but they vary by vehicle so you can look at those check ins to get an idea of what to expect.

Feel free to reach out to me if you have any other questions and I'll be glad to assist you!

Thanks for choosing PlugShare."

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
While we're on the topic of PlugShare improvements, I'd love to see Android Auto integration. I know that there can be issues providing functionality through an interface that's supposed to be deliberately simplified so as to avoid driver distractions, but I'm sure that a good UI designer could come up with something decent. It wouldn't take much to beat having to pull over and disconnect the phone.

Edit: I just sent them a suggestion to this effect, if they respond I'll report it here.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
While we're on the topic of PlugShare improvements, I'd love to see Android Auto integration. I know that there can be issues providing functionality through an interface that's supposed to be deliberately simplified so as to avoid driver distractions, but I'm sure that a good UI designer could come up with something decent. It wouldn't take much to beat having to pull over and disconnect the phone.
Suggest it to them. They seem very open to suggestions.

·
Registered
6,064 Posts
It seems crazy to me that Plugshare users have to input the data about the stations at all. It's the de facto app for finding places to charge, so companies wishing to make a profit from their chargers have an incentive to add their charging location details to the database. Basically, it's free advertising for them, so why wouldn't they proactively manage the Plugshare entries for their charging destinations? It shouldn't take an EV owner to find out that a charger is down if the business is monitoring the charger and already knows it's down.

What I'm saying is that user input should be a last resort to share information, not the only resort.

·
Registered
1 Posts
One of my pet peeves is that PlugShare doesn't list the actual power level of chargers. Some L2 chargers run at 3kW and some at 7kW - and some DC Fast Chargers run at 24kW and some at 50kW. Those are big differences.

IMHO PlugShare should include the power level as an item of metadata and make it one of the things you can filter the view for: "show only CCS stations with 40kW or more of power".

In the meantime, whenever I use a charger I make it a habit to update the charger description if necessary to include the power that it can deliver.
How do I find out the actual rate of charging? Is there a display screen on the Bolt, which gives a numerical value to the transfer rate? I haven’t found it. If I knew the actual rate of transfer, I would be happy to update the PlugShare description for that charger.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
How do I find out the actual rate of charging? Is there a display screen on the Bolt, which gives a numerical value to the transfer rate? I haven’t found it. If I knew the actual rate of transfer, I would be happy to update the PlugShare description for that charger.
EVgo shows this on the screen. It varies depending on battery temp, SOC, etc

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.