Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
England will be testing the car charging lane later this year. Not sure how it would work but that would be amazing if it does become feasible worldwide. Non stop road trips!

England will test electric car charging lanes

Later this year, Highways England will begin off-road tests of charging lanes for electric and hybrid vehicles. They will create mock roads built with charging coils under the pavement, which correspond to special receivers that will be fitted to electric vehicles. If the trials are successful after 18 months, the agency will conduct trials on working roadways. The UK government has committed £500 million ($784 million) over the next five years to advancing this technology.
they also plan to do this:
Highways England says that, in addition to testing the wireless and in-road charging solutions for electric vehicles, they are committed to installing plug-in electric charging stations every 20 miles on the highway.
Electric cars may become the standard sooner than we think.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I wonder if it would charge enough that the car would never run out of battery power? Or would it simply reduce the rate that the energy drains?

·
Registered
639 Posts
These are going to be best for those high traffic roads and highways as a starting point since most folks commuting wouldn't lose much power getting off those roads and going right to their destination. The right strategic implementation can go a LONG way.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just read it again and it helps to reduce the rate of battery drain. They will have to overcome a lot of obstacles like the rate of charge when the road is covered with snow or if there's a lightning storm. Will it act as a giant lightning rod?

·
Registered
639 Posts
They can even optimize electric roads to heat up to melt snow and ice, i read something like that. would make sense for them to batch that together.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Let's hope the testing goes well because the cold weather kills the range of electric cars and it would be nice to be able to travel farther in the winter. The Chevy Bolt may have an estimated range of 200 miles but when the cold/hot weather hits so will the car battery.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I just read it again and it helps to reduce the rate of battery drain. They will have to overcome a lot of obstacles like the rate of charge when the road is covered with snow or if there's a lightning storm. Will it act as a giant lightning rod?
Maybe they will put up lightning rods that attach to the road and the lightning will actually charge the road back up! But maybe I'm just having fun imagining that. :p

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wishful thinking as a lightning strike will most likely overload and fry the batteries embedded into the road. Though it would be amazing to be able to drive in a storm and have lightning strike near you in a safe way.

·
Registered
428 Posts
But, in all seriousness, I wonder how this would be rolled out practically. I suppose highways first, and you'd only want to invest once there were enough electric cars compatible with it on the road that it would make a real difference. Seems like California or Norway might be great places to try this.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Most likely it will be first implemented somewhere with decent sunlight all year round and they will most likely add only one lane first. Canadian highways already have a ride sharing lane (lane for cars with 2 or more passengers), those lanes could be a possible candidate in the future.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I think that an issue that developed countries have is that now when we want to build new infrastructure, we have existing infrastructure to consider. WE can't just build a road, we have to tear up a road, and then build a road. In some ways we have painted ourselves into a corner. It is extremely disruptive to modify or replace infrastructure.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I think that an issue that developed countries have is that now when we want to build new infrastructure, we have existing infrastructure to consider. WE can't just build a road, we have to tear up a road, and then build a road. In some ways we have painted ourselves into a corner. It is extremely disruptive to modify or replace infrastructure.
That it is. Then there's the whole thing about how it will change commutes for those that use it and how long it will take which can be a big burden to some. But if it needs to get done, it needs to get done.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts