Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Bolt EV Premier
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My electrician ran the 14-50 to the garage today so I could install and setup a ChargePoint Home Flex L2 EVSE. The wire pull went easier than expected, and I submitted all the paperwork for my local utility’s $2500 EV + EVSE rebate. Plus I can file for the federal tax credit of 30% of EVSE install costs next year. Win!

The EVSE was $778 shipped (I was required by terms of the rebate to buy from the utility), and the electrician charged $550 to pull wire and install the 14-50. All the local bids were right around $525.

I have 150A service to this dwelling, and a bid from QMerit sight-unseen stated $2500 plus a 200A panel upgrade before they would touch the job. Meh. My local electrician got it done in a couple hours and I have more than enough available load capacity in this dwelling (small townhouse).

·
Registered
19 Posts
I installed one last month an it has been great! Ours is hardwired and installed outdoors. So far the app has been nice with the data it logs along with the ability to do 50A in the future

·
Registered
2020 Bolt EV Premier
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the comments everyone. I've noticed that TOU scheduled charging doesn't really work smoothly when managed by either the Bolt (in Charge settings) or by the CP app. If I manage it by the car, then after the car tells the charger the session is finished, CP still thinks the session is still active and will report a very long charge duration but no power flowing for the last (x) hours. If I manage it with the schedule setting in the CP app, then the car doesn't gracefully transition from the initial plug-in to waiting for the charge to occur on schedule by the charger. The car kept saying "failed to charge" or something like that and would have to be restarted before any further charging would work.

I'll try to reproduce the steps later tonight at home, but it doesn't give me confidence in the scheduling process. My utility tells me it's cheaper to charge after 10pm (even though there's zero evidence anywhere on their website about TOU pricing, so I'll explore that further). What I'm likely to resort to is... just going down to the garage and plugging in at 10:30pm for example, and bypass all the scheduling.

Has anyone else had success and consistency with either scheduling method (CP app or Bolt schedule management)? Thanks.

·
Registered
479 Posts
There are a number of post from a few years ago re the Seimens charger. If you try to use the charger to set a delyed timer the Bolt is not happy. Sounds like the same problem you are having. I use departure time to control the charging on my Bolt and never have a problem. But I have a dumb EVSE.

·
Registered
2018 Bolt EV Premier Nightfall Gray
429 Posts
There are a number of post from a few years ago re the Seimens charger. If you try to use the charger to set a delyed timer the Bolt is not happy. Sounds like the same problem you are having. I use departure time to control the charging on my Bolt and never have a problem. But I have a dumb EVSE.
VersiCharge is a problem of the EVSE "Faulting" when Bolt is using scheduled charging. Something about being plugged in and then demanding power later, versus immediately. It also happens with pre-conditioning too. But, it is intermittent, probably works ok 95% or more of the time.

OP's experience with CP is why I keep waiting on changing out my VersiCharge. I expect to be participating in some utility trials around the end of the year, so I expect they will have some deals on OCPP compliant EVSEs, and\or dual meters for isolating EV charging. They want TOU plans for EVs, and I will need something more reliable to use that option.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt EV Premier
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They want TOU plans for EVs, and I will need something more reliable to use that option.
BINGO

Looks like I'll need to write up a repeatable workflow and report to ChargePoint so someone can look into it. And I'll go back and look for those old threads to see if my exercise will be in futility.

My garage will be warm enough, so preconditioning shouldn't be an issue this winter. I'll just revert to manual plug in at 10pm with no scheduling on charger or car and just deal with it until something is fixed. Thanks for confirming my suspicions on the fault.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I use the Bolt TOU charging, have for 2 years on my 2019 and love how it works. I don't use the EVSE feature because I don't want to block the car from being able to do it's thing when it wants to cool, heat, balance, adjust, or do whatever it does after the charge. I trust the car to take care of itself and I don't want to inhibit it. I program the TOU into the car, and I'll plug in when I get home about 3:30pm. Then at 7:15PM, (TOU cheap energy for me is 7pm to 7am), the car starts to charge. That runs for a bit, then it stops and I get both an email from the EVSE and Onstar that the car is full. But 6 hours later and (very) roughly every 8 hours the car will take a charge for a few minutes. I can see on the EVSE it's taking full power, and it lasts for a few minutes. It will do this, regardless if the car is within it's TOU charging window or not. I could program the TOU into the EVSE and block this, but it's really nominal in cost and I'd rather let the car do what it wants. It clearly is aware of my TOU schedule but still grabs juice for a few minutes. This is why I only use the Bolt TOU management and not the EVSE or (both). I don't know if I explained that all correctly, and I'm not sure I'm doing it correctly or if a 'best practice' exists on what to do or not to do on this stuff.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I still wonder why 2 hours of work is worth $550. Depending on the run, this may not be too bad. Did this include materials (breakers, cable, outlet, box)? Was the labor cost a high % or low % of the total cost? Did your homeowners insurance company require an electrician's sign-off? I DO think many (not all) electricians feel that EVs are only bought by rich people who can afford to be overcharged. Should our State EAAs (like WVEAA) make lists of installers who, while not offering a discounted price, will, at least, keep charges reasonable?

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I still wonder why 2 hours of work is worth $550. Depending on the run, this may not be too bad. Did this include materials (breakers, cable, outlet, box)? Was the labor cost a high % or low % of the total cost? Did your homeowners insurance company require an electrician's sign-off? I DO think many (not all) electricians feel that EVs are only bought by rich people who can afford to be overcharged. Should our State EAAs (like WVEAA) make lists of installers who, while not offering a discounted price, will, at least, keep charges reasonable?
That seems reasonable based on the quotes I received before I decided to do it myself. I wanted to just hand it off and be done with it, but I was putting in a Tesla charger and the higher amps, per NFPA/NEC code required a disconnect within so many feet. So, after I got that bid I decided to do it myself. I put in 125A because I wanted to future proof the installation x 2. I see 2 EV's in my world and wanted to charge them both at the same time. Of course, who knows if that's a good idea or not. At the 10th hour, I changed gears and bought the Bolt, then changed to JuiceBox's because they load balance. I liked ChargePoint and would use them if they did load balancing.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt EV Premier
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I still wonder why 2 hours of work is worth $550. Depending on the run, this may not be too bad.
All good questions. The 3 local bids I got were all about the same amount so I went with one that was recommended by a customer at my work.

Yes, it was all parts and labor: 40A breaker in the panel with plenty of room, heavy duty wire pull through a rather tricky run from 2nd floor to garage - townhouse with panel in living space upstairs (would have hard for me but easy for him, that’s why he got paid), flush mounted box in wall with 14-50, etc. Everything.

I don’t own the place, so the landlord just wanted to know that it was being done by a licensed electrician and not me, etc. Yes, I spent $550 for an electrician on a place I’m renting, but I got permission and I expect to be here a few years, and I’ll take my plugin EVSE when I go. The next tenant can use the circuit if they need, and I still get my $2500 rebate plus fed tax credit while they’re both still available. All in all it was a deal that made sense for my situation.

Qmerit and HomeAdvisor sourced bids were all out of the stratosphere - really poor experience from both of them. I can’t figure out for the life of me why Qmerit has that National relationship with the major players, but I suppose someone’s gettin paid for that one - at the prices I was quoted. Talk about a company taking advantage of the situation just because it’s “EV” - that’s Qmerit right there.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt EV Premier
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I replied in another long-ish post that yes, the $550 included everything: parts and labor. I edited it twice for dumb typos and not it’s waiting for moderator approval, which is likely to take a while. I still have a trip report post that’s waiting for approval even after emailing the mods. So ¯\(ツ)

·
Registered
2020 Bolt EV Premier
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
*now it’s waiting for approval. You get the picture. Note to self, don’t try to submit long posts from my phone. ¯\(ツ)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts