Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the second time this has happened.
After a session at a Chargepoint DC station. I lost the ability to start the car by the normal means of the keyfob, having to instead place the keyfob in the console to start. The first time this happened was at a Chargepoint station in Red Bluff, CA, and it was a Tritium Veefil, and the most recent time was at the Fraizer Park Chargepoint, which was an Express 250, not sure who the OEM is. The only commonality is the network and the symptom.

I'm a little stuck on this one, since they're two different models of charger, and it hasn't happened any other times. The car doesn't throw any errors, it just acts as though there's no keyfob in the vehicle. It also doesn't respond to keyfob clicks. The fob has a good battery. After the console pocket trick, the car acts fine, and the next start cycle is normal, although I don't know if the system is reset by driving the car or if it's a timeout, or what. I suppose it's technically possible that the charger is EMI-ing the keyfob in to stupidity. At any rate, it's pretty disconcerting when it happens, but at least the workaround seems reliable.

Anybody else has this issue before?

·
Registered
2017 (12/2016 build) Bolt premier
246 Posts
Anybody else has this issue before?
This happens to me every few months and I have never plugged in anywhere but my own garage. I don’t think it has anything to do with the charging station equipment.

The first time it happened to me, I replaced the battery in the FOB. Then it happened again a few months later. I didn’t bother replacing the battery and it was fine for a few more months. Both my FOBs exhibit the same behavior.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
The ChargePoint Express is an in-house charger built by ChargePoint, and I've found them to be extremely reliable. The only bugs I've ever experienced using them was while they were still in development (ChargePoint headquarters had a public facing unit available to the public during beta testing). I really doubt that there's any connection between what you're experiencing and the ChargePoint chargers.

The only time I've had the issues you're experiencing is when something was interfering with the fob or the car's ability to read the fob. If I have the fob in my pocket with a lot of other metal or RFID cards, or if there's an RFID card in the center console where the fob reader is located (that happened once with my work badge).

·
Registered
2018 Bolt EV Premier
981 Posts
This happens to me every few months and I have never plugged in anywhere but my own garage. I don’t think it has anything to do with the charging station equipment.

The first time it happened to me, I replaced the battery in the FOB. Then it happened again a few months later. I didn’t bother replacing the battery and it was fine for a few more months. Both my FOBs exhibit the same behavior.
I’ve experienced exactly the same thing, at a rate of about once every 3 quarters or so. It even happened in parking lots without any noticeable cause for interference. I was suspecting something went wonky on the key fob side, so I pulled the battery out, then put it back in. This solved the problem for me so far in the 2.5 years of ownership. Key fob battery has not been replaced yet.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
The ChargePoint Express is an in-house charger built by ChargePoint, and I've found them to be extremely reliable. The only bugs I've ever experienced using them was while they were still in development (ChargePoint headquarters had a public facing unit available to the public during beta testing). I really doubt that there's any connection between what you're experiencing and the ChargePoint chargers.

The only time I've had the issues you're experiencing is when something was interfering with the fob or the car's ability to read the fob. If I have the fob in my pocket with a lot of other metal or RFID cards, or if there's an RFID card in the center console where the fob reader is located (that happened once with my work badge).
On the former point, you might be talking about unit #41 at ChargePoint HQ. It was free for quite a long time then they started charging money. For whatever reason, it's back to free again. I used it last night. :)

The UI of the software has changed from the video at Watch a Bolt EV at a ChargePoint Express 250 charge at up to 55 kW. And yes, I've experienced that UI in that video before. It now doesn't even display the session duration any longer. (weird) And, they added a field for "miles" added. I didn't muck w/the touchscreen when it was charging.

As for RFID interference, I carry 3 ChargePoint cards on a key ring and in the past, when I had to start lots of sessions at work (unplugging finished cars and plugging in waiting cars), if two CP cards are too close to each other and the reader, the "swipe" won't work properly.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I’ve experienced exactly the same thing, at a rate of about once every 3 quarters or so. It even happened in parking lots without any noticeable cause for interference. I was suspecting something went wonky on the key fob side, so I pulled the battery out, then put it back in. This solved the problem for me so
welcome to the 21st century. We were promised flying cars but instead we have to reboot our car keys. 😂

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really doubt that there's any connection between what you're experiencing and the ChargePoint chargers.
Yeah I have the same feeling - it's just coincidence, and two data points don't pass muster. Still makes you look around the charger site and wonder for a second...what's it gonna be like being stuck here?

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV Ioniq 5 reservation
1,729 Posts
It happened to me once. Replacing the fob battery made it work. It has not recurred over 15 months. I do carry the fob (alone) in my right front pocket. I do place a battery minder on the 12 VDC battery one night a month.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts