Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
ChargePoint is awesome! Last night I went to a Harley Davidson dealer who has a DCFC for free. It was around 9:30 pm and my iPhone ChargePoint token wasn’t authorizing correctly. Called ChargePoint and gave them the station number and they remotely authorized it. ChargePoint is 24 hour support.

·
Registered
178 Posts
ChargePoint is awesome! Last night I went to a Harley Davidson dealer who has a DCFC for free. It was around 9:30 pm and my iPhone ChargePoint token wasn’t authorizing correctly. Called ChargePoint and gave them the station number and they remotely authorized it. ChargePoint is 24 hour support.
I used my phone once until I realized that I had a key chain tag that came with the Bolt. Been using the tag to initiate charging since then. I do use the app to stop charging... I prefer to stop the charging before I remove the plug.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Funny you mention that, I activated the key tag that night to see if the iPhone was the culprit and it was. Key tag authorized like a charm.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
MikeyBolt is right. I had a flip phone for years until I started researching the Bolt and realized the value/need of Plugshare, Waze, etc. for charging stations and navigation. Check out Tello.com for phones and service. I've been a customer for about a year and a half and my cost is less than $12/month.
Hey PhilBo, I appreciate the top, I've been looking into it. Moto E4 eh? I'll look. Got a friend bringing me a Samsung S7 (hoping it had a battery mod so it doesn't catch fire in my car 😱). Ever had to use their customer service?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Hey PhilBo, I appreciate the top, I've been looking into it. Moto E4 eh? I'll look. Got a friend bringing me a Samsung S7 (hoping it had a battery mod so it doesn't catch fire in my car 😱). Ever had to use their customer service?
I used Tello's customer service during the set up process of my wife's Moto. IIRC I messed up by trying to activate her phone on my account. Called customer service and they straightened everything out. They were very helpful. BTW I'm guessing the Samsung S7 is a much better phone. If it's unlocked, or previously used on the Sprint network, Tello can set it up to work with their service.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Well shoot! Got my new Samsung S7 set up, went to check its compatibility on Tello's site, and it failed. Did a chat with tello, and found out that the phone is a GMA not CDMA, and therefore not useable on tello's network. Crap!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Ok, getting some functionality with the phone and the car. Somehow got a map to come up on the car's screen. And an "energy assistant" showed me a list of charging stations. I tried getting Google assistant to launch plugshare, but it replied "I don't know how to do that right now." Although if I'm not connected to the car, it will launch plugshare on the phone. ?? What's up with that?

But, I have a pocket sized phone without phone service and can connect to the Bolt's wifi and pull up maps on the phone. And looks like navigation is available. A good start.

Another observation...when Android Auto connects, I get a screen in the car that looks like a music player. AFAIK, there's no music on this phone. Is that normal?

Any tips or tricks welcome!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well shoot! Got my new Samsung S7 set up, went to check its compatibility on Tello's site, and it failed. Did a chat with tello, and found out that the phone is a GMA not CDMA, and therefore not useable on tello's network. Crap!
That phone should work with Mint Mobile however which uses T-Mobile network. Can get as low as $15/month with 3GB data. They have a week trial you can use to test.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Signed up with Mint for 3mo.! Got a sim card on the way.

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I will no longer feel vulnerable to not knowing where the nearest charger is. :) And thanks to my buddy Dano.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Signed up with Mint for 3mo.! Got a sim card on the way.

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I will no longer feel vulnerable to not knowing where the nearest charger is. :) And thanks to my buddy Dano.
You have a good buddy there, a used Samsung S7 could be sold for over $100 at swappa :)

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
One last question guys...being a smartphone noob...I don't have much of a concept of data usage. I imagine anything web based constitutes data. But what's using Google maps with Android Auto compared to listening to Pandora, or watching a video?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Never mind. Google, duh!
Pandora on standard settings uses 20MB per hour. Maps uses 0.76MB or 760KB / 20min of navigation.
Out.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Any recommendations for a good VOIP app?
And can anyone give me an idea of what mobile data usage is like? That is, how much of my LTE data allotment is used by say calling up Plugshare? Or using Waze or whichever navigation app is good in the Bolt? Or watching a YouTube video? Just wondering, in case I decide to go the Tello route, instead of VOIP. And how much data does VOIP use? My Bolt's WiFi has a 1Gig limit.
I haven't looked
Never mind. Google, duh!
Pandora on standard settings uses 20MB per hour. Maps uses 0.76MB or 760KB / 20min of navigation.
Out.
Just remember that you can still use WiFi from the Bolt too. It's not an either/or. It's a both/and.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Right! The only thing I'll have to keep in mind is that the OnStar plan I have has a 1Gig limit. Shouldn't be an issue for my usage level. But then, if I do hit that limit, I'll have the Mint data to use after I use up the OnStar data. 😎 I'll be well covered. SIM card shows up today. Will let you know how it works out.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts
About this Discussion
61 Replies
14 Participants
Pvillerob
Chevy Bolt EV Forum
We’re the Largest Chevy Bolt EV Online Community and Owner's Club. Join to discuss sport mode, reviews, battery range and charging!
Full Forum Listing