Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first got my charger I would charge my Bolt by unwrapping one wrap around the charger before plugging in, and then the reverse when I was done charging. It worked, but then it occurred to me that if I had more slack in the wrap closest to the plug I would have enough slack to charge without messing with wrapping and unwrapping the cable. So I wrapped it so that the wrap closest to the plug almost touches the garage floor (red arrow in the thumbnail). It makes it an easy one handed job.

My charger is on my garage wall on the driver side just behind the driver side door. The vertical red line in the thumbnail lines up with the crack between the front and rear doors. I park my Bolt about three feet from the wall.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
When I first got my charger I would charge my Bolt by unwrapping one wrap around the charger before plugging in, and then the reverse when I was done charging. It worked, but then it occurred to me that if I had more slack in the wrap closest to the plug I would have enough slack to charge without messing with wrapping and unwrapping the cable. So I wrapped it so that the wrap closest to the plug almost touches the garage floor (red arrow in the thumbnail). It makes it an easy one handed job.

My charger is on my garage wall on the driver side just behind the driver side door. The vertical red line in the thumbnail lines up with the crack between the front and rear doors. I park my Bolt about three feet from the wall.
Lol, I'm embarrassed. My level 1 stock charger hangs off the cord with the rest of the cable and connector coiled up and sitting on top of an empty LCD TV cardboard box. But, it's a one handed operation. By accident, not by design.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Clippercreek L2 charger with proper cord wrapping technique shows excellent EV road warrior form.

+100 points towards your EV L2 charging expert certificate - patch + sewing kit is in the mail…

next level is programming the Chevy Bolt's TOU off peak scheduling software to minimize charging costs for minimal cost EV driving - Chevy has made this difficult and this is perhaps the hardest challenge in the series - but with some pain and minor injury you should be able to accomplish - post a screen shot once you're complete and you will be awarded the L2 charging master certificate once you receive your 500 point allotment for completing this challenge!!!

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Mine is on the left but ahead of the headlamps when parked. It is above the workbench and tighter coiling allows full bench use. I don’t mind using two hands once every 3-4 days.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don’t mind using two hands once every 3-4 days.
I still charge daily even though I don't need it for my short commute. Maybe I could stop doing that, but I like knowing it's ready if I spontaneously decided to go somewhere far (unlikely). There's a bit more HP when it's fully charged, but maybe not noticeable. Maybe I'll take your approach eventually.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I still charge daily even though I don't need it for my short commute. Maybe I could stop doing that, but I like knowing it's ready if I spontaneously decided to go somewhere far (unlikely). There's a bit more HP when it's fully charged, but maybe not noticeable. Maybe I'll take your approach eventually.
Steven, be aware that long term (you know, 5 years from now) the battery may hold less juice if you charge it to 100% every night. I started out charging every night but now that I am more comfortable with my circumstances, I only charge every 3-4 nights to 90%. I do charge to 100% when I know I have an unusually long set of drives the next day.

Battery life, like with your laptop battery, is inversely dependent on the number of times you charge, and how full. Charging to 90% ("hilltop charging") will help preserver battery capacity down the road.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Steven, be aware that long term (you know, 5 years from now) the battery may hold less juice if you charge it to 100%
Thanks for your concern, but I actually use hilltop reserve most of the time. I probably should've clarified what I meant by "fully", but I wasn't focused on that for this thread. Fully hill top charged. I do 100% charge once a month or so just in case that has some benefit with charging system being able to calibrate itself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts