Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this has been asked before. I live in Austin, TX and I was wondering if anyone here knows of a reputable business that can install a L2 charger?

Any ideas welcome!

Andrew

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Installing an EVSE for home use is VERY different than for commercial use. For the home, ANY electrician can install a 50 amp outlet on a 240 volt circuit with 40 amp-capable wires and a 40 amp double-pole breaker. Decide on the EVSE you want (MUCH on this forum concerning this) and choose the 50 amp receptacle that fits its plug. IF you choose an EVSE than needs to be hard-wired the electrician can do that also. You are done!

Save some money by buying the hardware yourself (Home Depot or Lowes has it all). Depending upon the "run", your labor costs should not exceed $200. This is exactly the same as installing a dryer or welder outlet & less complex than a range or air conditioner circuit. Beware the electrician who says the Level 2 EVSE requires much more (expensive) expertise to install. RARELY is a permit needed, especially if it is a plugged unit.

·
Registered
195 Posts
:)Solid advice from surgeonFWW. Definitely get multiple quotes on the specs surgeonFWW suggested. I'm a DIY guy and like doing different projects. I researched the internet and forums like this for the information I needed. Do not attempt unless you have electrical experience. Know your limitations. Check Amazon for EVSE prices as a reference, You want a minimum 32A unit to charge your Bolt at it's highest rate. Enjoy your Bolt.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hello Andrew.

I do not know of anyone in Austin but the best bet is to get 3 estimates from reputable electricians.

Your power company may be able to help and last I checked, Austin Energy paid half of the cost of the charger and i stall. I have included the link for the form to fill out.

www.formstack.com/forms/?1027379-CvJsRgjvdR

Additionally, $4.00 and change per month to use any of the 315 chargers located in the city of Austin is fantastic!

You are lucky as there is no such thing in Houston....and that is no surprise.

Gee. I wonder why?

Exxon
ConocoPhillips

Just to name a few.

·
Registered
862 Posts
RARELY is a permit needed, especially if it is a plugged unit.
A permit will ALWAYS be required. I don't know of any jurisdiction that allows a new circuit to be installed without a permit and inspection. In some places, the homeowner is allowed to do the work. In many others, it must be performed by a licensed electrician.

Austin allows the homeowner to do the work (and a permit is required):
http://www.austintexas.gov/sites/default/files/files/Planning/Permits/Homeowners_Permit.pdf

If you are not comfortable doing electrical work, hiring an electrician is an excellent plan. A reputable one will include getting the permit and inspection in their quote. If they tell you a permit is not required, time to move on (if they're willing to take that shortcut, what others will they take? Smaller gauge wire because the code is too conservative and they've never had a problem?).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts