Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my Amazon list to buy - Siemens, Clipper Creek, ChargePoint, JuiceBox and is 40 Amp required?

·
Registered
786 Posts
The answer is none: the AC-powered charger already exists in the Chevy Bolt EV. What you need is the EVSE to connect to the power source. There is a thread here about the correct EVSE. Just go there.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm going to go with Juice Box. They're near my work and I popped in there recently to speak with them and was very impressed.

·
Registered
124 Posts
On my 2013 Nissan Leaf I have been using a modified charging cable providing 220 volts (I think at 6 amps) for 3 1/2 years. I got this from evseupgrade located in Berkeley which takes the 110 volt cable you get with the vehicle and transforms it into a 220 charging station and cable for $200. You ship him your cable and a couple of days later he ships it back to you converted to 220. It's worked GREAT! I hired an electrician who for $125 bucks installed a 220 outlet in my driveway (garage is too cluttered to hold a car) and I use it daily without a hitch and take it with me when I take long trips. The owner of this business expects to be producing Bolt conversions asap.

Check it out!

·
Registered
124 Posts
An excellent alternative to the usual charging station!

On my 2013 Nissan Leaf I have been using a modified charging cable providing 220 volts for 3 1/2 years. I got this from evseupgrade located in Berkeley which takes the 110 volt cable you get with the vehicle and transforms it into a 220 charging station and cable for $200. It's worked GREAT! I hired an electrician who for $125 bucks installed a 220 outlet in my driveway (garage is too cluttered to hold a car) and I use it daily without a hitch and I can take it with me when I take long trips. He offers many 220 conversion plugs. The owner of this business expects to be producing Bolt conversions asap.

Check it out!

·
Registered
70 Posts
On my 2013 Nissan Leaf I have been using a modified charging cable providing 220 volts for 3 1/2 years. I got this from evseupgrade located in Berkeley which takes the 110 volt cable you get with the vehicle and transforms it into a 220 charging station and cable for $200. It's worked GREAT! I hired an electrician who for $125 bucks installed a 220 outlet in my driveway (garage is too cluttered to hold a car) and I use it daily without a hitch and I can take it with me when I take long trips. He offers many 220 conversion plugs. The owner of this business expects to be producing Bolt conversions asap.

Check it out!

I like this way of thinking, but is it legal? Insurance companies don't take too kindly to fires caused by illegal wiring.

Michael

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just received my JuiceBox Pro 40. I think it has a lot of advantages over all others:

- Price
- Can deliver up to 40A (even though the Bolt only draws 32, it is some future-proofing)
- It is easily removed from the wall to use as a portable EVSE that is capable of plugging into either 120V or 240V, including RV park 50A service outlets. If plugged into 120V, it charges about 50% faster than the 120V EVSE that comes with the Bolt.
- Firmware updates are delivered from the manufacturer via the Internet connection.
- A fantastic app to monitor and control charging.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I initially ordered the JuiceBox Pro 40, but I'm returning it because it is not UL listed. This can cause problems with some State rebate programs and insurance problems should the unlikely happen. I spoke with Electric Motor Werks and they are taking the JuiceBox Pro 40 back and have already sent me a ClipperCreek HCS-40, JuiceNet® Edition. It combines the popular and well rated ClipperCreek HCS-40 with the software from the Pro 40. It costs more and it is less powerful, but I want a UL listed EVSE. I've also read that they are working on certification for the JuiceBox products. One article said it was due by the end of the year. I also considered the Chargepoint Home 25, but went with ClipperCreek because of the strong reviews.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also have the Juice box 40 for my Leaf and love it. It is rugged, no gimmicks and very reliable. I love the fact that it 100% portable in case I need to transport it and that i can draw at 40 Amps for future development. Best bang for the buck.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Is it legal? Is it portable?

I like this way of thinking, but is it legal? Insurance companies don't take too kindly to fires caused by illegal wiring.

Michael

1. It's 100% portable- exactly the same as the original charging cable in terms of size. The only change is inside the "box" on the cord.

2. Here's what's on their website-

The EVSE (charging cable) upgrade allows basic Level 1 (slow) charging cables to be safely converted to also operate at much faster Level 2 speeds which will usually more than double the charge speed, and in some cases even quadruple it! The upgrade process consists of new internal componentry, a new heavy-duty 240 Volt capable plug on the unit, and special software (firmware). There is no modification needed to your vehicle, and it is safe and will not void your vehicle's warranty. To fully benefit from faster charging, you would then need to connect the unit to almost any 240 volt (208, 220v, etc) outlet. These can consist of existing high-power outlets, such as for dryers, welders, water-heaters, etc, or you can usually have one installed for minimal expense with no special equipment needed! In some cases, you can even use two existing standard 120 volt outlets with a special adapter. (Sold separately) If you will still need to retain standard Level 1 (120V) capability, we can supply an optional plug adapter that allows you to still plug into a standard 120V outlet and charge at the original (slow) Level 1 in the case where a 240V outlet is not readily accessible, or portability is desired. In fact, once your unit is upgraded, you can plug into almost any outlet type with a simple adapter and enjoy fast charging anywhere, anytime, and save a bundle in the process! This is also a great option where installation of an expensive and bulk wall-mount charging station is a problem, such as at rental properties, relatives houses, or even at your place of business.

3. I can understand your concern regarding insurance, but I checked with mine and they said "no problem." I had a licensed electrician install the 220 plug in my driveway. He said there's no problem legally and would have no impact on insurance.

·
Registered
862 Posts
3. I can understand your concern regarding insurance, but I checked with mine and they said "no problem." I had a licensed electrician install the 220 plug in my driveway. He said there's no problem legally and would have no impact on insurance.
If it is not a hard wired device and the outlet/circuit was permitted and inspected, there should be no issue with insurance. Hard wired devices without UL certification may not pass inspection (depends on the jurisdiction and sometimes the specific inspector).
I installed my own 14-50 outlet (with permits) and the inspector insisted on seeing the EVSE I would be plugging in. My unit is UL listed, so not an issue.
Might be best to say the outlet is for "future use" if you plan on using a non UL EVSE. Best to tell them it will be used for an EVSE so that they no the wire gauge and breaker are sized for continuous duty.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt
64 Posts
I have a Bosch Power Max. I installed it just after I got my Spark EV in February 2014 and have had absolutely no problems with it. It appears as if it is made by Delta. Of course back then it was a real deal as Bosch was giving a $500 rebate to Spark EV owners so it cost me less that $100 including shipping.

If you are comfortable working with 240, it's not that hard to install it yourself.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV / 2014 Spark EV / 2020 Tesla Model Y
135 Posts
I have two chargers. First is an original Blink - many people had reported problems with them. It has a little Linux server and touch screen built in for web status and to send stats back to whatever projects had been tracking early EV usage. I have to unplug it once in a while to reset that thing.

My second charger is a GE that's available at Home Depot for $399. It's a basic white cube with a simple LED indicator light, nothing fancy. But it has worked great. It should be able to hit the full charging rate of a Bolt EV.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
I have a Clipper Creek LCS-25 (hardwire). It supports up to 4.8 kW. I got it installed in early 2014 to charge my Volt/C-Max Energi. Anything beefier would have cost substantially more money.

Even though it won't be able to max out the Bolt's 7.2 kW charge rate, in the event I drained the Bolt's battery all the way, it would take around 13 hours to fully charge....so even if I got home at 10PM and had to leave at 6AM, the Bolt would have ~150 miles of range when I unplugged. Not exactly stranded at home. ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
When I purchased a Spark EV two years ago G.M. included a $500 credit toward a Level 2 charger. Several were offered, and I chose a Bosch that retailed for about the same, which basically made it a freebie. I paid an electrician $150 to mount it on the wall of my garage and it has worked flawlessly for the Spark, the Gen 2 Volt that I purchased last Nov. and recently sold to a friend in anticipation of the delivery of a Bolt next month.

·
Registered
22 Posts
When I purchased a Spark EV two years ago G.M. included a $500 credit toward a Level 2 charger. Several were offered, and I chose a Bosch that retailed for about the same, which basically made it a freebie. I paid an electrician $150 to mount it on the wall of my garage and it has worked flawlessly for the Spark, the Gen 2 Volt that I purchased last Nov. and recently sold to a friend in anticipation of the delivery of a Bolt next month.
Sounds like my story too, except my Spark lease is 3+ years now, soon to be replaced with the Bolt.

·
Registered
263 Posts
My second charger is a GE that's available at Home Depot for $399. It's a basic white cube with a simple LED indicator light, nothing fancy. But it has worked great. It should be able to hit the full charging rate of a Bolt EV.
Is that the DuraStation one? It seems to be the most affordable charger around and even better if it's reliable. Have you been using it?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts