Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to purchase the Chevy Bolt EV 2017 but I live in condo and can't charge overnight from my parking stall. I've been given permission to use the stall in front of my unit to charge when my neighbor is at work each weekday. I work from home so this is good. If I have a NEMA 14-50P outlet in front of my house, can I get away with a NEMA extension cord (50A, 6-8G wire, 30ft) connected to NEMA-J1772 charger (40A, 25ft) to charge my Bolt (32A draw)? The car would be 40 ft away. With 220V and 40A power, I should be able to put 60 mi on for every 2 hours of charge. Anyone see an issue here with the charging setup?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Seems legit method. I won't give advice on L2 12amp charging as it seems like you have done the numbers.

I have to set up my just arrived 32amp L2 charger for a 30' run from car to 14-50 wall plug. Would love to compare notes on real world numbers for voltage and kwh over that distance.

Remember to protect the extension cord from drive-over damage, if any.

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
Sounds correct to me. Very nice of the neighbor and condo association to accommodate your charging needs. Whose electrical meter is that outlet attached to?

If you drape an extension cord over a sidewalk, you should put an anti-trip strip over it to improve safety and mitigate liability. Keep an eye on everything as it would be tempting for some lowlife to help themselves to that equipment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts