Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I promise I checked for previous threads on this topic, but found nothing specifically answering the following question(s):

1) Should 2023 EUVs limit charging to 80-85%? I asked my salesman about it when I got the car and he said the older models had to because of the recall, but it was fine to charge the 2023s 100%. I’ve read in places that during extreme heat, it could be a problem, but again, I’m not sure if that pertains to 23s too, or all EV batteries in general.

2) If I should max out at 80%, how do you make the adjustments? I checked the MyChevrolet app and didn’t see any options. Checked the touchscreen in the car and found no options. Also checked the JuiceBox app and saw nothing. Ideally, I’d like to “top it off” every night if it’s not detrimental to the battery’s health.

·
Registered
12/16 build, 2017, white LT
13,531 Posts
1) Should 2023 EUVs limit charging to 80-85%? I asked my salesman about it when I got the car and he said the older models had to because of the recall, but it was fine to charge the 2023s 100%. I’ve read in places that during extreme heat, it could be a problem, but again, I’m not sure if that pertains to 23s too, or all EV batteries in general.

2) If I should max out at 80%, how do you make the adjustments? I checked the MyChevrolet app and didn’t see any options. Checked the touchscreen in the car and found no options. Also checked the JuiceBox app and saw nothing. Ideally, I’d like to “top it off” every night if it’s not detrimental to the battery’s health.

Check your manual, pages 95-96.

Target Charge Level
This mode allows the charging range for the
vehicle to be set based on what is needed.
When at a public pay station and a full
charge is not needed, the target charge level
can be set to only get as much range as
needed.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Target Charge Level
needed.

Target Charge Level
needed.
Thank you very much for pointing me to my manual. It was very helpful and I made the change to 85%. Are the 2023s any different than previous models?

·
Registered
12/16 build, 2017, white LT
13,531 Posts
Thank you very much for pointing me to my manual. It was very helpful and I made the change to 85%. Are the 2023s any different than previous models?
I assume 2022-2023 are identical. I think the multiple charge level settings happened in 2019. Before that we only had 100% and hilltop mode which was trying for ~90%. If you look at the value in the app, and I thought I heard it was on the dash somewhere now too, don't expect to see exact 5% increments. Typically they end up 1-2% lower, but it is only an approximation anyway.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I assume 2022-2023 are identical. I think the multiple charge level settings happened in 2019. Before that we only had 100% and hilltop mode which was trying for ~90%. If you look at the value in the app, and I thought I heard it was on the dash somewhere now too, don't expect to see exact 5% increments. Typically they end up 1-2% lower, but it is only an approximation anyway.
Thank you.

·
Registered
243 Posts
To speak to question 1, what you "should" do depends on how cautious you want to be. Not charging to 100% unless needed is a little easier on the battery, long-term. I have a 2017 with battery replaced under the recall - so it's got the same battery as your car. My options are hilltop (~90%) or 100%. I use hilltop on a daily basis but I set it to 100% whenever there's a chance I want max range available. I don't worry about charging to 100%. After all, I bought the car to use it!

·
Registered
2018 Bolt EV Premier
1,186 Posts
The "charge to 80% and don't drain below 20% to prolong battery life" is a general recommendation for most Lithium-based rechargeable batteries.

The Bolt EV recall situation was slightly different. Due to a manufacturing defect, charging to 100% elevated the chances of the cells becoming damaged - and leading to fires - far higher than it should normally be. The mechanics of battery degradation from having it charged to 100% is indeed related to this problem in the sense that a cell in a fully charged or discharged state tends to stress its structure. However, GM's decision to limit the charge to 80% by itself is just a short-term precautionary measure to deter more fires from happening and should not be taken as a recommendation for long-term use. That's because the same decision also tells you that you can drive the car until the battery is nearly depleted.

That being said, with a normal (that is, for Bolt EV/EUVs, the new replacement) battery the difference in the lifespan between the "charged to 100%" and "limited to 80%" shouldn't be so big. If you have a long distance trip coming up, it'll be fine to just charge to 100%.

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
And to add something about this discussion about charging to 100% or not. You can charge to 100% our Bolt EV without a problem and I doubt there will be any significant difference in degradation over the lifetime of a car. But, what hurts ANY Li-Ion battery, is to charge it to 100% and keep it long time in this state. Long time meaning days, weeks, months. The same should apply when keeping the battery under 40% SOC for long time. Don't do it !

There is an option in the charging screen that allows you to enable the priority charge to 40% when you use the Delayed charging. What this does ? If you are with the battery bellow 40% SOC but the time to finish charging is shorter than the time to fully charge (when you plugged the car), the car will not sit with the battery below 40%, it will charge immediately then stop charging afterwards. And start the charge later on, so that the full SOC is accomplished at the time set in the Delayed charge screen.

·
Registered
369 Posts
IMHO the most important reason to limit the charge to something less than 100%, is so that the regenerative braking will work as normal. If you charge to 100%, then the regen paddle won’t work until the battery is low enough to accept power back. I don’t enjoy that momentary anxiety when I realize my car is acting funny and I have to figure out why.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It’s proven that keeping the battery at 100% for long periods is harmful, so I keep it around 80%. Very often I don’t drive for days at a time. Also I don’t charge every day. Every battery study refers to the number of charge cycles in the life of a battery so I would prefer to keep that low as possible.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts