Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my July diagnostic report from OnStar last week, and it reported "there may be an issue requiring action" with my lithium-ion battery. I was asked to do an advanced diagnostic through OnStar, and did so immediately. They followed up with an email that included the following message: "P3021 Service within 7 days The Lithium-Ion Battery is not performing as expected. An issue has been detected in the Onboard Charging System which manages your vehicle's battery pack charge level."

I scheduled a service visit, which was completed this morning. The first thing they asked (after whether there were any indicator lights - which there weren't) was whether I was using a "Bolt charger" . I explained that there's no such thing, and that I was using an approved 240V charging station (a ChargePoint Home, not the unit offered by Chevrolet.) After further checks, the dealer pronounced nothing wrong with the Bolt, and suggested I check to see if there was a software update for my home charging station, as it seemed likely the fault was caused by a problem with the charger, not the car's charging system. (I explained that I'd charged at several different chargers during the month before they'd sent the notice in mid-July.)

I asked if the code above had any indication of when the issue had occurred, since it had showed up in the monthly diagnostic. (Of course it doesn't, and unlike a "check engine" light, that lets you diagnose the cause of the code immediately, I'm now trying to guess which of the charges over a month, using my home unit as well as 3 different DC chargers and a public Level 2 unit, might have been the source of the problem.)

The service advisor explained that the check was covered under warranty, but if the problem reoccurred they'd charge me, since it doesn't appear the car is at fault. Although this is reasonable to a point, it also seems like a bit of a circular loop: "We will advise you of a fault, and instruct you to seek immediate service to check it. We will then charge you for checking, and take no responsibility, even though our fault-identification system will not assist in isolating the actual source of the problem."

I haven't seen any similar entries on the site. I wonder if anyone else has had a similar experience? In the meantime, I have inquired with ChargePoint about a software update, and am awaiting a reply.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
There was one member a month or so back who was getting charging errors with a JuiceBox EVSE IIRC.
The JuiceBox people looked at the EVSE logs and blamed the Bolt, but after trying several different sources... it turned out to be a bad JuiceBox EVSE.

·
Registered
862 Posts
First thing to point out to the service advisor is that...
The "Charger" (for AC) is built into the car.
All the EVSE is doing is supplying 240VAC to the car/charger. While I guess possible, a problem with your EVSE would be waaaay down on the list of likely causes.

Did they check the DCFC with their (required by Chevy to sell/service the Bolt) unit? When DCFC the "charger" is indeed external to the car, but the session is still managed by the car (An issue has been detected in the Onboard Charging System which manages your vehicle's battery pack charge level).

And I have read (this or another forum) of similar notifications from OnStar. IIRC they resulted in the replacement of battery packs and/or charging system components.

If you get another notification, time to escalate it to GM and/or find another dealer to service it. A problem with the EVSE or DCFC should not generate an error code in the Bolt. If the Bolt detects a problem it would terminate or modify the charging session without throwing a message about the battery "not performing as expected".

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your assistance. I think my Bolt was the first one the dealer has worked on (they've sold one so far - I was going to buy mine there but they couldn't find one) so there's bound to be growing pains.

Since I posted yesterday, I've had ChargePoint review my home EVSE as well as the 2 units I used on a trip a couple weeks ago, with no issues identified, but ChargePoint is leaving the ticket open in case there are further alarms.

The information you've provided will be very useful. Much appreciated.

This is really useful information. Thanks again - be safe!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I literally had my Bolt brought in this past Saturday for the same exact issue. After troubleshooting the problem my dealer is replacing the drive motor battery charger at about 1200$- (under Warranty)- I also have a juice box and it was plugged into it when I had the code get thrown and I also had a warning light come on in the bolt. Long story short the juice box nor two other L2 chargers were charging the bolt.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
I literally had my Bolt brought in this past Saturday for the same exact issue. After troubleshooting the problem my dealer is replacing the drive motor battery charger at about 1200$- (under Warranty)- I also have a juice box and it was plugged into it when I had the code get thrown and I also had a warning light come on in the bolt. Long story short the juice box nor two other L2 chargers were charging the bolt.
Keep in mind that for L1 and L2 AC charging over J1772, the charger is on-board the car.

The things I bolded are NOT chargers. They're EVSEs, basically smart safety switches.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts