Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know if chevy plans on making dcfc available to bolt owners at their dealerships? i know many Nissan dealers have stations for leaf owners, so how about bolt owners? i'm sure they have chargers inside the service dept to charge cars that are in for service

·
Registered
544 Posts
Right now dealers to be certified to sell the Volt/Bolt are only required to have two level 2 charging stations (the brand they sell) and nothing more. I really don't expect that to change anytime soon either. While GM has built a nice car in the Bolt they really haven't been taking any steps to actually help with electric car charging infrastructure.

They aren't even required to have chargers in the service department. My dealer has their two chargers tucked way in the back of the building.

·
Registered
89 Posts
While cruising through the local dealer late at night, I found a charger hidden on the side in the dark somewhere and I wonder how welcoming will they be to me charging it there late at night when nobody's around, seems to fringe on trespassing.
While the Kia lot (same dealer name) has a more obvious level 2 charger and level 3 charger and I do charge at the level 2 for free sometimes late at night if it's not plugged into those **** locking EVSE Soul EV. I also wonder about the same thing, charging there without permission while the dealerships are closed.

Anybody knows the policy or the proper etiquette?

P.S. I didn't buy the car there, but if it means getting a plate frame from the dealership will make them act less hostile to me, I will figure out a way to get one.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
^ I would imagine it would be similar to any garden hose bibb, or 120vac outlet found on the exterior of any commercial establishment.... ask before using.
Anything else is outright property theft.

·
Registered
5,334 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i'm glad i started this thread. so maybe fill your dealers suggestion box, and see if they'll do it without big GM backing. as Gjetson said, not until the gov't demands they do it. lol, so spot on. but seriously, why don't we tweet to GM CEO to copy Nissan, and offer it. this way you know there's a charger you can use when in a differnt city. ok, so maybe i'm dreaming....

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
One of the troublesome points is, I don't need Level 2 stations (or even Level 3, for that matter) here in my home city. I charge fully at home. I need those stations at the 220 mile circle around my home. And I have no pull with businesses/dealerships so far from home. The solution: I advocate for DCFC here where I don't need it for me but for YOU, and you advocate for those living 200 miles from you.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
i'm glad i started this thread. so maybe fill your dealers suggestion box, and see if they'll do it without big GM backing. as Gjetson said, not until the gov't demands they do it. lol, so spot on. but seriously, why don't we tweet to GM CEO to copy Nissan, and offer it. this way you know there's a charger you can use when in a differnt city. ok, so maybe i'm dreaming....
If you're serious about having a charging infrastructure you can depend on and allow unfettered freedom to travel, you should spend your efforts petitioning GM to swallow their pride and sign up for Tesla's supercharger access. I heard a rumor that Volvo i think was looking into it. Once the first big name manufacturer signs on and their EV sales go through the roof, the others would be wise to follow. Have you ever seen the Tesla plug compared to a Chademo or CCS and at twice the current? Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
All EV charge plugs need two power contacts, plus two signal contacts. The AC plugs have a ground as well. Tesla was clever enough to realize they could just make one set of power contacts large enough to carry FC current loads, and it it would be overkill for any onboard AC charger, instead of the pointless duplication in other systems...five contacts instead of seven, and requiring much less space

http://insideevs.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/url.jpg

·
Registered
10 Posts
I asked my dealer about being able to use their fast charger if I was in the area, and they hemmed and hawed and said "maybe, we don't know." So -- maybe it varies from dealer to dealer.

·
Registered
195 Posts
:)My local Chevy/Bolt dealer is four miles from my home. This is the same dealer I spoke to on three separate visits about leasing a Bolt and took three test drives. The day I leased my Bolt, they were the second dealer I stopped at with intentions to lease with three Bolt Premiers available. The finance/leasing guy I spoke to was mostly negative to every question I asked. I told the sales person I would let him know something definite by the next morning. I drove to Richmond, VA and visited two other Chevy/Bolt dealers. Two of the five dealers I visited were closed for the July 4th holiday. The last dealer had the best selection and gave me a much better deal while I got the exact Bolt I would have ordered. My local Chevy dealer has their Level 3 EVSE on the side of their building next to the street. I have used it twice in the past. As many times I've driven by before or after business hours, I've never seen it being used. I won't make it a practice to use it, but if I need a charge, I'll stop by. Not sure what reception I'd get since I didn't lease my Bolt there? But I honestly tried. No hard feeling on my part.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
:)My local Chevy/Bolt dealer is four miles from my home. This is the same dealer I spoke to on three separate visits about leasing a Bolt and took three test drives. The day I leased my Bolt, they were the second dealer I stopped at with intentions to lease with three Bolt Premiers available. The finance/leasing guy I spoke to was mostly negative to every question I asked. I told the sales person I would let him know something definite by the next morning. I drove to Richmond, VA and visited two other Chevy/Bolt dealers. Two of the five dealers I visited were closed for the July 4th holiday. The last dealer had the best selection and gave me a much better deal while I got the exact Bolt I would have ordered. My local Chevy dealer has their Level 3 EVSE on the side of their building next to the street. I have used it twice in the past. As many times I've driven by before or after business hours, I've never seen it being used. I won't make it a practice to use it, but if I need a charge, I'll stop by. Not sure what reception I'd get since I didn't lease my Bolt there? But I honestly tried. No hard feeling on my part.
I know of no Level 3 EVSE at Chevy dealers (only about 1/3 of them even have Level 2 EVSE, and ALL of those which I have visited/used are 16 amp, not 32 amp) but then, I'm in WV where there are no non-Tesla DCFC stations at all! If you have access to that, more power to you (pun intended). I'm jealous, but not moving!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Big companies often equal big stupid. General Motors would be extremely smart to have at least 4 level 3 chargers at every dealership. Think about what they pay to advertise and try and get buyers into a dealer show room. The chargers would guarantee that numerous Bolt owners would occasionally stop in for a charge and what will they do while charging? Look at the new cars of course. A great opportunity to sell a newer model to an already loyal customer. It would cost less than one TV and generate far more business. I would also promote it as a benefit of buying a Bolt so you further leverage off of a relatively low cost investment. Let's say a 4 charger setup cost $250K, one $1M dollar TV ad would pay for 4 dealerships. That ad would only be seen once and forgotten. The chargers would be seen frequently and not forgotten and if the next model year or next model EV where sitting on the floor ready to be seen and driven, an opportunity to trade up and make a sale. The cost is in the noise compared to advertising costs and could probably be written off as a business expense to boot.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Since a Level 3 charger costs, on the average, $30K, and much of that is installation & trenching, charger 2-4 should be no more than $15 each, making the total nearer $75K for a 4 charger setup.

I have contacted several networks about getting Level 3 in WV. I learned: 1) the network neither installs nor owns the station, the commercial (government?) entity does, and, 2) EVERY state that has significant #s of DCFC has subsidized their purchase/installation by as much as 50% of cost. WV, KY, and many other states have not had the foresight to do this. TN, OH, MD, NC, VA, NY, OR, CA and many other states subsidized the creation of DCFC. We will have a hard time convincing the local mall owners that they will see a great RoI for their $30-45K outlay. Not only are there too few EVs to make an impact, most ICE car owners do not want to pay one cent more in taxes to aid the EV owner (and some are even antagonistic to us)!

Increase in commerce via travelers/tourists is the only carrot we can wave in front of our legislators. I hope it is large enough. (At least Bugs Bunny is on our side!)

·
Registered
195 Posts
I know of no Level 3 EVSE at Chevy dealers (only about 1/3 of them even have Level 2 EVSE, and ALL of those which I have visited/used are 16 amp, not 32 amp) but then, I'm in WV where there are no non-Tesla DCFC stations at all! If you have access to that, more power to you (pun intended). I'm jealous, but not moving!
:)Here's a picture of the DCFC at my local Chevy/Bolt dealer operating at 24KwH. I believe this is the standard for Chevy dealers that choose to install a system. This dealer also has two Level EVSEs.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Big companies often equal big stupid. General Motors would be extremely smart to have at least 4 level 3 chargers at every dealership. Think about what they pay to advertise and try and get buyers into a dealer show room. The chargers would guarantee that numerous Bolt owners would occasionally stop in for a charge and what will they do while charging? Look at the new cars of course. A great opportunity to sell a newer model to an already loyal customer. It would cost less than one TV and generate far more business. I would also promote it as a benefit of buying a Bolt so you further leverage off of a relatively low cost investment. Let's say a 4 charger setup cost $250K, one $1M dollar TV ad would pay for 4 dealerships. That ad would only be seen once and forgotten. The chargers would be seen frequently and not forgotten and if the next model year or next model EV where sitting on the floor ready to be seen and driven, an opportunity to trade up and make a sale. The cost is in the noise compared to advertising costs and could probably be written off as a business expense to boot.
agreed, thats why i posted this, because Nissan offers leaf owners a place to charge, why not other dealers? it was a big reason i even considered the Leaf. and yes, big companies are dumb, sometimes they'll keep spending advertising money without thinking outside the box. its almost like they're avoiding the topic because someone further up has told them no already:eek:

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I think some here have misconstrued GM's stance on EV support. They have gone on record saying they will not support any national charging infrastructure. My hunch on the mandate to have a level 2 EVSE on site for those dealers selling and servicing the Bolt is purely for the service department. Their intention is for the Bolt to be a local EV. It was never intended to be a long distance car or only vehicle. You certainly can use if for such but it's at best, an adventure with the existing level 3 network.
Which brings me to the point of why you would need a local level 3 or even level 2 when you start each day with >230 miles.
If you live in an apartment or otherwise cannot charge at home, would be a valid case or you in fact do drive more than 230 miles/day. Otherwise, what is the scenario where you are requiring the dealer to provide local charging?
If GM would do an about face and support the long distance potential, then I could see them using the existing dealer franchise network as charging points. Not really convenient for long distance as they are typically not at exits but the map would look robust. The lack of support for using the Bolt long distance makes me think the poor seat design was not a mistake.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
agreed, thats why i posted this, because Nissan offers leaf owners a place to charge, why not other dealers? it was a big reason i even considered the Leaf. and yes, big companies are dumb, sometimes they'll keep spending advertising money without thinking outside the box. its almost like they're avoiding the topic because someone further up has told them no already:eek:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts